Don't you people sleep?!

Monday, August 27, 2007 14 Comments A+ a-

It was an eventful weekend in our humble abode.

Case in Point #1:

Devyn got her first bloody nose since… let me think… ever. She got up about 3:00 in the morning and came into our room. As I was ushering her back to bed, she walked right into the door jam. Poor thing! It wasn’t until I noticed her face and hands covered in blood that I realized what had happened. As I was washing her face, she finally noticed her hands and gave me a panicked look. As her chest started heaving with soon-to-be-sobs, I calmed her down and reassured her that she was ok. We fell asleep in her twin-sized bed with no problems.

Case in Point #2:

Devyn is officially afraid of the dark, despite the fact that she has a brand-new butterfly nightlight. Usually after we read her a story and say our prayers, she snuggles under the covers with her teddy bear and is out within 15-20 minutes. But the past two nights, after we’ve put her to bed, we checked in on her and noticed that her bed is surprisingly empty. Both times she was hiding behind her laundry hamper, in the corner. She’s not crying or whimpering; just huddled in her corner. It breaks my heart! As soon as we lay down with her and she’s cuddled up against our side, she’s out like a light.

Case in Point #3:

Hudson is very obviously not feeling well. Our typical routine is to put him in his crib after he falls asleep and he’s good to go until 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. However, these past two nights, he’s been waking a mere hour after we laid him down. He’s got a runny nose and is just plain out of sorts. So, instead of playing the fall-asleep-to-go-back-in-the-crib game, I just kept him in bed with me and was used as a pacifier all… night… long. I’m happy to report that he woke up booger-free and his usual, happy self.

I gotta admit, I’m very tired. Why do these things always happen in the middle of the night?!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

14 comments

Write comments
1:00 PM delete

All I have to say is OH JEN!

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
1:19 PM delete

Brooklyn has this bib that says "Party in my room, 2:30 a.m. Be there!!"

Reply
avatar
1:33 PM delete

I hope you get more sleep SOON! I know how this is, I have been up a lot lately because my 2 yr. old moved to a toddler bed and my 4 month old is teething and has a sinus infection! I am so tired! Anyway, I have an award for you over at my blog! Prayers, Julie

Reply
avatar
angeleyes Blue
AUTHOR
1:50 PM delete

Ladies this all too shall pass. Honest. I have teens and they stay up later than me. The neat thing is they occupy themselves and are QUIET!

It is nice that they can read to themselves in bed. They actually can read the clock and will come out to the family room and say that they are going to bed as they give me kiss for the night.

My son will stop by my bedroom and turn out the light as I often fall asleep with it on.

Reply
avatar
Haley Anderson
AUTHOR
3:36 PM delete

Interesting.... seeing how Kaydence and Devyn are two days apart I can tell you Kaydence started being afraid of the dark about two weeks ago. She doesnt get out of bed or anything but she takes a really long time to fall asleep and has a breakdown when it is time for me to leave the room. The only thing that has worked for us is to give her a princess flashlight. We told her she can turn it on if she needs to, and we put it under her pillow. She also has a nightlight AND this moon thing that is hung about her bed. It is called moon in my room. You can get it a target it is made my national geographic. Really cool and it conforts her. Good luck my dear! All my love!

Reply
avatar
Lange Mom :o)
AUTHOR
6:57 PM delete

O I miss those days~ That is when I had the chance to cuddle, kiss, snuggle and say all the I love you's to them. You too will look back and honestly wish you can have these days back. Please enjoy these nuisances because the word mothering doesn't come without these stories. More important, you are there for them. Good job Jenn!!

Reply
avatar
Christine "Ney"
AUTHOR
7:22 PM delete

I know I'm biased, but I honestly think I've never met a child cuter than Devyn. She has the sweetest spirit and it breaks my heart also to think of her huddled in a corner because she's afraid of the dark. I can almost see the look on her face when she saw that blood for the first time. Poor sweet thing! I love her!!
P.S. I know as I get to know Hudson more I'll adore him just as much.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

Being used as a pacifier....ugh! Poor little munchkins! I hope you get good sleep tonight:) love, Amy

Reply
avatar
crystal
AUTHOR
9:22 AM delete

Oh I feel for you. I am so glad that my two older ones sleep all night (except when sick) and my 6 mth old sleeps most of the night. He goes through clingy stages and then gets better but most often he sleeps all night in his bed. I will be praying for you. Try and get some sleep...

I know my sister Julie gave you this award to but you got it from me also. So consider yourself doubly awarded and keep up with the encourageing post.

Prayers
Crystal

Reply
avatar
9:34 AM delete

Oh dear! My brother used to do the same thing when he was little--My mom would find him all curled up in a ball behind this little red wagon he had in his room. Hope you can help her work through it soon. And I also hope you're getting more sleep now :)

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
1:01 PM delete

Poor things! Hope all is getting better for you! Hugs!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
5:49 PM delete

Jen, sounds like you have your hands full! I'm so sorry Devyn got a bloody nose and is now afraid of the dark. I hope the fear passes soon.

And I hope Hudson is already feeling better!

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
7:59 AM delete

bloody noses is to me like throw up is to you... blah! hope things get back into their routine for you... it was SO SO good to see you!

Reply
avatar
MamaEscandon
AUTHOR
9:37 PM delete

Oh boy do I know what being used as a pacifier is like! We've been doing that for oh... 10 months? LOL Shes 12 months now!! We're still working on getting her in the crib and its not that easy!

Reply
avatar