Caution: God at Work

Thursday, August 09, 2007 20 Comments A+ a-

I really feel like we’ve had that yellow caution tape wrapped around us this past month; I laugh because that seems to be the understatement of the year. Things have happened in the past week that most of you do not know about but now that we’ve actually closed and hold the keys to our first house, I’m ready to share.

Last Tuesday, our lender (Karen) called me. She started our conversation with this statement, a statement that I will never forget. “Jenn…” [big pause] “I’ve been praying all morning how to start this conversation.” I really think I stopped breathing for a moment; obviously this wasn’t going to be a good conversation. Karen continued, “My company just announced that we’re declaring bankruptcy and we won’t be closing any new loans from here on out.” I sat there in shock, while Karen continued talking, explaining what was going to happen, how she was going to help, etc. But I don’t think I heard very much of it, I just saw our dreams of buying a house dissipating into the air.

Karen, bless her heart, would hear none of that and was already spinning her wheels to keep the loan going through. She contacted our builder’s preferred lender and made plans to get our file to the new lender as soon as possible. She called every day with an update; in fact, we heard more often from Karen than we did the new lender. My aunt and uncle had referred us to Karen in the first place, over two years ago, and Karen had painstakingly walked us through every step of getting our credit cleaned up. I am in awe that in the midst of Karen losing her job, she was still taking the time and making the effort to make sure we would still get our house; Keep in mind, there was NO commission in it for her. She is truly a servant of God.

Speaking of God, He was obviously working behind the scenes too. When all was said and done, we ended up with a mortgage that was $50 less than we’d planned and we only took $280 with us to closing, as opposed to the $2,000 we had saved. God is wonderful and has blessed us beyond what we deserve. It has been such a rush to witness His blessings first-hand. Wow!

The morning of the closing, there we sat, with the lady from the title company, our realtor, the builder, his realtor, and Karen. [Yes, you read that right. Karen showed up at closing with baked goods, presents for Jon and I, and our lender (the new lender) was no where to be found. In fact, I’ve never met our actual lender.] I signed my name several dozen times, almost by habit. I was handed a sheet of paper, shown where to sign, and signed it. It was a relaxed, casual atmosphere with good conversation, joking, and many private smiles between Jon and I. All in all, we were in and out within 40 minutes and left with keys in our hands. Oh the sheer joy of it all.

Jon and I left the realtor’s office and headed to the house. We unlocked the door and walked in, awed by the idea that this was actually our house, ours and no one else’s. It’s a concept that still hasn’t sunk in. Jon grabbed me, spun me around, and dipped in for a kiss; in fact, we shared a LOT of kisses yesterday. We finally caught our breath, stopped in the kitchen, and prayed aloud; thanking God for His provisions, dedicating the house to His service, and asking Him to bless our family with many warm, happy memories inside those four walls. After our giddy interlude, we noticed the house-warming present from the builder and were in awe. They had taken a trash can and filled it to the brim with food, tools, paper products (paper plates, cups, silverware, paper towels, and toilet paper), laundry detergent, dish soap, a night light, and a gift certificate to a local restaurant. How amazing is that?!

Now comes the hard part… unpacking and getting everything organized. As Sarah told me last night, I need to lower my expectations and take comfort that eventually it will get done. But in the mean time, if you see a blissful smile on my face, it’s because… we’re homeowners!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

20 comments

Write comments
HappyMama
AUTHOR
1:41 PM delete

Oh Jenn & Jon! CONGRATULATIONS! You two have worked so hard toward this goal, and you totally deserve to enjoy every moment! I am so glad that everything worked out, and worked out better than your expectations. God is simply amazing, isn't He!?!

We cannot wait to see your house Sunday!
Love you, Kevin, Missy & Brooklyn

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
2:10 PM delete

Yeah, yeah! I can hear the excitement in your words! What a day...so happy for you! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
2:28 PM delete

YEAH!!!!

Glad to hear everything worked out.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
2:53 PM delete

Isn't it amazing how God works? Teaching you to trust Him more, all the while planning to bless your socks off in the end.
He is so good.

And, I am SO happy for you! Enjoy your home, and don't forget that one day you won't be looking at boxes anymore.

(Also... that is a seriously impressive builder.)

Reply
avatar
3:48 PM delete

That is soooo awesome!!!! God is so good! I was in tears as I read it all. Congrats! And enjoy it and take it slow. It will come together.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:36 PM delete

Awesome! So happy for all of you!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
5:41 PM delete

Congrats! I'm SO excited for you. When do you officially move in?

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
6:56 PM delete

So glad everything worked out! Congrats!!!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
7:37 PM delete

Congrats! That is so awesome!! I just now read about your flood. Bless you guys for going through so much.

Reply
avatar
Jason
AUTHOR
7:50 PM delete

Congratulations to the both of you! :)

Reply
avatar
8:01 PM delete

I'm so, so excited for you! Wow! I hope Karen has a new job prospect on the horizon...she sounds like a gem!

Reply
avatar
9:27 PM delete

Oh Jen

You must of been so frazzled.
But look how well it turned out.
I am so happy for you all.
Congratualtions. Think of all the fun you will have unpacking all those boxs and creating your home.
I can't wait to see pictures!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
9:45 PM delete

CONGRATS! I look forward to seeing your blissful smile! How exciting for you all! Take lots of photos!

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

WAHOO!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Reply
avatar
Andrea
AUTHOR
12:34 PM delete

HUGE CONGRATS TO YOU & JON!!! I can't wait to see your new home, and I can't wait to see you guys this fall! Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you when I was out there in June, but hopefully we can get together a lot while I'm staying out there in Denver.=)

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
4:48 PM delete

God is so awesome in how He brought everything together for you guys!

Congratulations on the new house!!! What an exciting time. Can't wait to see pictures.

Reply
avatar
7:29 AM delete

Oh wow...you have really been through the wringer, haven't you?! I am just SO thrilled for you, as you unpack and set up your new home. I pray that it will be a wonderful home for all of you...full of love, laughter, and many, many wonderful memories.
Blessings,
Joy

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
7:54 AM delete

What a story! And congratulations on owning your own home!

I can understand your bittersweet feelings for your "Our Basement Home." We left a place like that when we moved to Qatar - nothing special, but absolutely priceless to us because of our daughter.

You are a terrific writer, Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Org Junkie
AUTHOR
9:02 PM delete

Amazing! Congratulations, I am so so excited for you!!!!!

Wonderful story!

Reply
avatar
Posselts
AUTHOR
9:33 PM delete

Congratulations, Jenn!! What an incredible story you and Jon have-- and God coming through with a brand new loan in the 11th hour despite the terrible state of the real estate sector is a cherry on top. It encourages me as we continue to wait. :)

We miss you, and wish we could celebrate with you!

Reply
avatar