Mommy Moments

Friday, July 20, 2007 12 Comments A+ a-

“Hey Munchkin, whadda you want to drink?” I asked from the open fridge.

“Juice!” was her exuberant reply. I did a quick assessment of the contents of the fridge, no juice.

“Ummm, babe, there’s no juice. Do you want milk or water?”

She thought for a minute and then gave me her answer. “Pop!” I burst out laughing!

Devyn’s cries for Mama at 4:00 in the morning woke Hudson; it was now 4:38am. Hudson was lying between us babbling and talking to himself; occasionally a foot would find its way into his mouth and then we were subjected to suckling sounds. Devyn was still very upset with us for not climbing into bed with her and would occasionally cry for Mama or Daddy, depending on whoever would answer her.

I turned on my side and threw a pillow over my head. Maybe, just maybe, if I couldn’t see or hear them, I could pretend they didn’t exist. No such luck. I turned back around and locked eyes with an equally bleary-eyed husband. “Do you think it’s too late to give them back?” I wondered.

Devyn was sitting on the kitchen counter “helping” me clean up after dinner; although her idea of helping involved eating the chocolate-ship cookies out of the cookie jar. So there we were, talking and laughing our way through cookies and dishes, stopping for an occasional tickle-war or a quick swirling-dance through the kitchen. She told me about her day (I think… it’s still a little difficult to understand toddler-speak) and I nodded along, doing my best to convey my understanding.

Finally, I snapped the towel on its ring and announced that we were done. Devyn lifted her arms to be put on the floor and instead wrapped her arms around me, kissing me full on the lips. “You,” she shouted on her way out of the kitchen. (“You” is how she says both “thank you” and “I love you”.) I licked my lips and tasted the left-over chocolate she had left behind; my heart constricted. If only time could freeze right now!

"Oh my son, here we sit. You have no idea how much I look forward to these times; just you and I alone in this moment together. I love that my body can still offer sustenance to you; I love this connection that only you and I can share. In these moments, time no longer exists and I am able to just focus solely on you. I love the way your eyes lock with mine, as though you’re trying convey some important message. I love the way you smile behind closed lips, as though thinking about a funny joke. I love watching your hands search for my hair, wrapping your fingers up tight. Or the way those same hands search for my face, caressing my skin to soothe yourself to sleep. Oh Hudson, you are growing so fast and time is marching on, but these moments are such a blessing to me!"

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
1:05 PM delete

Both of your babies are starting to look so grown up. Just what you want to hear:)

I love hearing about your mommy moments, Jenn! They sound similar to mine, but still so unique to your little family! These are the good times...the moments that add up and make memories for later on. And then we'll beg to have them back!

Love to you and your babies! Amy

Reply
avatar
Deidre
AUTHOR
2:04 PM delete

So sweet! I love those pictures! These are precious times, indeed.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
6:08 PM delete

What blessed times and moments to stash away forever! I love your commentary throughout and the pictures are beautiful!

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
8:36 AM delete

I love this post. I love the glimpses it gives us into your tender mommy heart. Thanks for being so real!
I can't believe how big that boy looks. What happened to that little baby that I was cuddling just months ago?
Your children are so happy. Great job, Mom!

Reply
avatar
12:20 PM delete

Sweet. I was reading over your blog. Very sweet. I have three under the age of four. Funny to see someone else juggling.
gwen

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
6:51 PM delete

These are my favorite posts Jenn. I love the moments you share with Devyn and Hudson when I am not there.

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
7:16 PM delete

So sweet, Jenn! It is such a blessing to hear your mama heart :)

P.S. And I can't get over how much your little ones are looking alike these days- at least in all the pictures you share. Do you think that they do too?

Reply
avatar
7:28 PM delete

These were very precious Mommy moments! Thanks for sharing :)

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
9:31 AM delete

Thanks for sharing your mommy moments! We all have them, and I never get tired of hearing all about them!

Reply
avatar
shoeaddict
AUTHOR
5:49 PM delete

Gorgeous babes! Hudson is on our boy name list (along with Holden)

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
9:37 PM delete

I loved reading your mommy moments. Thanks for sharing them!

Your babies are so sweet! You are such a blessed mommy!

Reply
avatar
12:33 PM delete

So beautiful. I loved nursing - sweetest memory of all. Thanks for sharing. Your children are beautiful, beautiful!

Reply
avatar