Mean People Suck

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 19 Comments A+ a-

It’s been one of THOSE days…

Dad, Hudson, and I returned from a major league baseball game last night around 11:30pm. I pulled into the driveway, unbuckled a sleeping Hudson, and collapsed into bed. This morning Jon and I decided to go to a 4th of July parade and I got both the kids and myself ready as fast as possible. It was about that time that I started looking for the diaper bag and soon after, panic started setting in.

Jon made me retrace my steps from leaving the stadium to crawling into bed. Yes, the diaper bag left the stadium with me; yes, the bag was put in the car; no, I don’t remember bringing it into the house last night, yes, I forgot to lock the car. Then I remembered something. I absolutely did not have my glove compartment open when I went into the house last night. Then why was it sitting wide-open this morning?! Yep, you guessed it. The diaper bag was stolen, some time between 11:30pm and 5:00am. Jon’s truck was rifled through as well but his losses are minimal.

Why would anyone take a diaper bag, you ask? Well, because I had put my wallet into the diaper bag, so I wouldn’t have to lug around both a purse and a diaper bag all night. It was sitting right there, on top of everything else. And to make matters worse, my beloved digital camera was in that bag too, so the pictures of Hudson’s dedication and his first baseball game are completely gone! A police report has been filed, a claim has been placed with the insurance company, and credit and debit cards have been cancelled. But the fun is just beginning… I have to get a new license, file a report with the credit bureaus, contact the Social Security office (yes, my social security card was in my wallet), and have new health insurance cards issued.

I have to agree with my brother-in-law, Caleb. This is a violation of the worst kind. I would have gladly given someone $100 in cash, just to avoid the headache this is causing. I’m mostly mad at myself because I usually lock my car but I was feeling lazy last night and just wanted to go to bed. Ugh! Happy 4th of July to me!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

19 comments

Write comments
5:35 PM delete

What a bummer!! I'm so sorry you lost all those photos! I'll be praying all this card-replacing and such goes smoothly for you!

Reply
avatar
Susie
AUTHOR
6:54 PM delete

Oh my goodness, that is terrible! I'm so sorry this happened to y'all. :( I hope everything works out okay after the hassles are through. *hugs*

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
7:13 PM delete

Poor thing! Hope you recover quickly and nothing hurts your credit! I know that can be more of a pain than anything!

Love ya bunches and am praying for you this week!

Reply
avatar
Lange Mom :o)
AUTHOR
7:18 PM delete

This happened to my family in Terre haute. It is a violation that cannot be put into words. On a more positive note, I am downloading the pictures I took at the house after Hudson was dedicated. I will forward them to you. I am so sorry!!!
Auntie Bernie

Reply
avatar
8:21 PM delete

Jenn,

I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm thankful the thief didn't do more than rifle through your cars, though. Glad no one was hurt.

Hopefully the police will be able to lend a hand in this one. Praying for you!

Reply
avatar
Org Junkie
AUTHOR
9:06 PM delete

Oh Jenn, I'm so so sad for you. There is so much work and time involved to cancel/replace everything, time I know you don't have. However your post totally made me realize that I need to get prepared/organized should something like that ever happen to me and for that I say thank you.

Losing the pictures really makes my heart go out to you knowing they can never be replaced. I'm going to pray that the police are able to find it. Nothing is impossible for God!!!

Laura

Reply
avatar
Stephanie
AUTHOR
7:36 AM delete

aww... that sucks! GRRRR! Hope today is better for you!

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
8:01 AM delete

I am heartsick for you. I've had that happen, and it is just an awful, violating, well, awful feeling. Especially those pictures. Precious pictures. So sorry.

(Seriously, soon after we got engaged, my car was burgled right outside my bedroom window, and they stole a bag in it--stupid me for leaving it there--that had the leather-bound Bible my now-husband gave to me for our engagement. I was heartsick. But I'm hoping they read it!)

Reply
avatar
Lisa M
AUTHOR
8:33 AM delete

I've never had that happen but I can imagine how much time that will take you to get things straightened around. About 3 months ago we had a guy that was breaking into people's houses in our neighborhood during broad daylight and stealing jewelry only. He never tried our house but was breaking down doors to get in regardless if there was a dog in the house or not. I still hide my jewelry in a weird place just in case he returns. It did make us feel really uneasy and unsafe in our own home. I hope you can get things straightened out quickly. Sorry someone took advantage of you. By the way - I've enjoyed reading your blog.

Lisa

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
1:17 PM delete

I am so sorry Jenn. I know you feel sick about the whole thing. Don't feel bad. It WAS NOT your fault. It was a selfish person who took it upon themselves to steal. I pray all is recovered and this person learns a lesson soon for their actions.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
1:17 PM delete

I am so sorry Jenn. I know you feel sick about the whole thing. Don't feel bad. It WAS NOT your fault. It was a selfish person who took it upon themselves to steal. I pray all is recovered and this person learns a lesson soon for their actions.

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
1:21 PM delete

Oh, no, Jenn. That's terrible! I hope you can recover your things. We had a similar 4th...my MIL flew in for a visit and her bag did not make it with her. The airline has no idea where it is; someone may have taken it. She had to go buy all new things today. *sigh* I hope the rest of your week goes better!!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
8:35 PM delete

URGH!!!! That is just awful....really awful! I am so sorry that had to happen to you! Some people....urgh...mean people DO suck!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
6:25 AM delete

I'm a lurker of your blog and just wanted to say that I am SO sorry that this happened! You are right...mean people do suck! ((HUGS))

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
10:18 AM delete

Oh, Jenn - I gasped out loud when you wrote that the bag was stolen - and that you lost the pics of Hudson's dedication - NO!
I will be praying for a miraculous recovery of all of those things - for your peace in the meantime. (((hugs)))

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
12:12 PM delete

I am so sorry this happened to you! I hope you are able to get your things back. Hope you have a terrific weekend! It can only get better, right?

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
12:34 PM delete

What a mess you're having to deal with because it was easier for someone to climb in your vehicle and rifle through your things...then it was for them to be a contributing person in society and work for a living! Getting broken into, whether it's your house or your car, is definitely the worse kind of violation...I'm sorry you're having to go through all this!

Reply
avatar
Sonya
AUTHOR
9:46 AM delete

This sucks big time! This happened to my hubby one time. They stole his cd player from his truck and that was about it. I never go to bed anymore without locking my car. Hubby has left it unlocked a couple of times and I just know that one of these times, his XM radio is going to get lifted! So sorry you had this happen! Makes me so mad that people have such a sense of entitlement, especially when the stuff rightfully belongs to someone else! Ack!!!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
1:19 PM delete

I feel so sorry for you! I know your pain. Someone stole items from my car a couple of months ago. The worst thing they took was my backpack full of college books for a class I was taking. People become so selfish that they totally disregard what it does to people's lives. You're right - mean people suck!

Lisa

Reply
avatar