HYH Challenge - Wrap-Up

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12 Comments A+ a-

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was happening… again! I could feel myself growing tense, I could feel the self-righteousness rising up inside. I looked at Jon, watched as he carried on the conversation, oblivious that he’d done the very thing I’d been nagging him to work on. “Doesn’t he get it?” I thought. “When is he going to learn?” I had stopped paying attention to what he was saying; I was indignant.

“My Child, do you trust me?”

Wait a minute, God, did you hear him just now? Why are you getting on my case?!

“Jenn… do YOU trust me?”

I heaved a huge sigh and answered with a small yes.

“Then leave Jon to me; let ME work on his heart, in his life. Let the changes come from me, not from your nagging. In my own time, sweet daughter; remember it’s my time, not yours.”

I settled back against the seat and willed the anxiety to leave my body. I turned to Jon with new eyes; I smiled and listened intently to the rest of his story. God was in control, I could rest easily in that knowledge.


*************************

Wow, thirty days later and I am extremely thankful that Christine held this challenge. It really forced me to face some attitude problems, rekindle some old habits, start new routines, and see my husband in a whole new light. I’ve realized that it’s not so much about the goals for me, it’s about the attitude. I could have all the goals in the world; I could meet each and every goal, but its all for naught if my attitude is in the wrong place. If I offer Jon time to do something he enjoys, but have a horrible attitude upon his return, he’s not going to feel the appreciation I was trying to convey.

I especially enjoyed Sarah’s summary when she said that she had a hard not expecting the same guilt-free time in return. I could easily relate to that. It seems that the worldly view of marriage is very much this for that, 50-50, equal time, etc. However, that is not the design God has for marriage. I am called to love Jon unconditionally, I am to lay my life down for him, and I am called to serve him. This challenge was about loving Jon as God loves him. I never expected to learn so much about myself through this challenge. And now that I know the areas I have to work on, I can leave Jon to God. After all, the ONLY thing I can change is how I respond to my husband. I will never perfect this, and I will constantly be a work-in-progress.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Stacey
AUTHOR
8:58 AM delete

I am so proud of you for your honesty and vulnerability in this challenge. I have been working it too, but haven't been up to blogging about it lately... so reading your posts have just been such a blessing to me each week.
I know your marriage is being blessed by this!!

Reply
avatar
Lisa M
AUTHOR
11:18 AM delete

I apprecite your honesty in working on this 30 day challenge. I guess I can really relate to you because I sometimes share the same kind of feelings. Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us and may God bless your marriage.

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
11:20 AM delete

I have really enjoyed reading your posts about this, and they've helped me to look at myself and examine my attitude (which stinks sometimes!). Thanks for your honesty.

Marriage is 100/100, not 50/50 like the world tells us it is. I have a hard time remembering this and many times want what I WANT, NOW! That's why so many marriages are failing...the expectations that the world has given us are not being met!

Thanks, Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
1:05 PM delete

Hasn't this been great!? I too have learned SO much about myself and my marriage through this challenge. We simply must keep it up, maybe we can keep posting about it once a month or something.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:08 PM delete

You have been an inspiration to me throughout. It's like we did it together! Thanks for jumping in with both feet and encouraging everyone with your comments and prayers. I am thrilled for your success and pary God's continuned blessings on your marriage!

Reply
avatar
1:23 AM delete

I appreciate your honesty, and I can relate 100%! I think that is something that I will take away from this challenge...a lot of us are in the same spot, dealing with our attitudes! I guess we always will...until heaven!!
Blessings,
Joy

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
7:39 AM delete

This was such a wonderful post. I was really blessed and inspired by it. Thanks for sharing what the Lord gave to you - and for the confidence to know that He's doing his work in our husbands lives so we can trust him!

Reply
avatar
blackpurl
AUTHOR
10:51 AM delete

May God continue to bless you and your husband!
Alida

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
11:13 AM delete

I can really relate to this, Jenn. I've been learning some of the same things this past month. I'll be blogging about it soon once I formulate my thoughts. Love, Amy

Reply
avatar
angeleyes Blue
AUTHOR
11:56 AM delete

Wow...When I met my husband I was a dancer in a travelling song and dance group. We travelled, had two days off a month and lived by the phrase...'The problems not the problem. The problem is my attitude about the problem.

I hear you about God's time. I truly believe in that and in God but recently I have found myself saying--Please God I would like this taken care of before I AM 99!

Of course there is the thankyou God after my 99 prayer.

Thankyou God

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:10 PM delete

It has been such a privilege to follow you on this journey - I've enjoyed all of the stories, and the honesty with which you shared, Jenn.
I pray a deeper, richer marriage for you from this process - we're never done, are we? :)

Reply
avatar