HYH Challenge - Week 4

Sunday, July 08, 2007 19 Comments A+ a-

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As I sit here at the computer typing this, Hudson is asleep on our bed and I've just finished reading Devyn her bedtime story and have tucked her in. Jon is upstairs watching a shoot-em-up movie with Alli's boyfriend, Drew, and loving every moment of it.

Earlier this evening, Jon came to me and asked me if it would be all right if he watched the afore-mentioned movie and I was feeling very resentful that he would even ask. After all, we had two kids that needed to be put to bed and I was hoping to get some help with that. I was hoping that my silent demeanor and sullen attitude would get my point across but then I had to double-check myself. I shook off the attitude, flashed him a smile, and told him to enjoy himself. He hesitated, afraid to believe that it was really okay. I assured him it was fine and he bounded up the stairs with a happy look on his face.

This was a very stressful, overwhelming week for me but I can honestly say that I did much better this week than last week. The phrase "be slow to anger, slow to speak, and quick to listen" kept running through my mind all week and I can't tell you how many arguments were averted. Instead I was able to stop and actually listen to what Jon was saying, without it being discolored by anger or hurt. And things are changing on his end too. Jon has always been an affectionate man, but throughout the week I've been pulled into long hugs, passionate kisses, and surprised by loving teasing. It almost feels like we're dating again! When I asked him about it, he shrugged and said, "Hey, if you can change, I can too." So far, I'm enjoying these changes!

My goals are not changing, I'm just going to keep on keeping on. I'm excited to see how this week turns out.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

19 comments

Write comments
Denise
AUTHOR
10:12 PM delete

Keeping your marriage in my prayers, bless you.

Reply
avatar
10:51 PM delete

Thanks for your post and sharing. May the Lord bless you this week and always. I will be praying for you and your marriage .

In his endless love,

Angel ( Angel Mama ) ():)

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
11:58 PM delete

These are the fruits of your labor. God is honoring your commitments to Him and to Jon. And even better, your hard work is challenging Jon to be a better husband as well.

I am so excited for you guys. Thanks for being willing to share such personal things about your life. They uplift others.

Reply
avatar
12:17 AM delete

Way to go! You and I are so much alike...I can have the best of intentions, but where I am tempted to fail (and often do) is in my attitude...especially when I'm tired. I'm good at playing the martyr. :)
It sounds like you are doing SUCH a great job, and you are an inspiration!
Blessings,
Joy

Reply
avatar
blackpurl
AUTHOR
2:01 AM delete

Sounds like you had a really great week!! May God continue to bless you two this coming week!!!

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
6:26 AM delete

Great for you two. Have a great week ahead.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Alycia
AUTHOR
6:50 AM delete

You are doing such a great job with this challenge! Way to go with choosing to allow him some movie time and not letting anger settle in! I struggle with this myself so I know exactly what you mean! Have a wonderful week!

Reply
avatar
devildogwife
AUTHOR
7:05 AM delete

That's wonderful! You must be doing a great job since he wants to change too! May God bless you this week.

Reply
avatar
Melanie
AUTHOR
10:51 AM delete

That is wonderful that your hubby has noticed such a change in you that he is working on changing too!

I'm working on my attitude too! It's tough sometimes to be positive.

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
11:22 AM delete

Someone else already mentioned this, but I think that it is awesome that Jon is noticing your effort! That should be so encouraging! I really admire your commitment to him, as well as your honesty about your struggles here on your blog- it very reassuring! :)

Hope you have a happy week, Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:26 AM delete

How wonderful! I'm so glad you're seeing the benefits of your efforts! It seems most of us are having better weeks this time around!

Reply
avatar
12:33 PM delete

Great job! Praying for you! God will continue to bless you dying to yourself.
Blessings,
Angela

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
1:15 PM delete

You are encouraging me and challenging me with these HYH posts. Thank you for sharing with us! Even in the middle of a stressful week - God bless you!! That's one of my key verses too - "quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" - JD even made up a little tune for it and sings it for me when he sees my blood boiling. Ah, children... :)

Reply
avatar
Christi
AUTHOR
1:33 PM delete

Great job - I've had to work on shaking off my attitude this week too!

Praying that the Lord continues to bless your marriage!

Reply
avatar
Christi
AUTHOR
1:34 PM delete

BTW - LOVE, love, love your banner at the top!

Reply
avatar
2:43 PM delete

My attitude has been bad this week too. It is so easy to be angry when he wants time to himself, I am so quick to think "What about me, I never get time to myself?!" But, "slow to anger" always sticks in my head too! You are doing a great job!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
5:22 PM delete

Good stuff, girl!
I'm praying for you this week that it will be much better than last!

Also, I tagged you for a fun meme! If you have time, come on over! My HYH 'confessions' are up too!
Hugs!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
5:53 PM delete

AWESOME!! I am glad the Spirit whispered gentle reminders to you all week.
Keep on truckin'

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
9:33 PM delete

you are so inpsiring. seriously, you encourage me so much. thank you for being the precious woman that you are.

Reply
avatar