HYH Challenge - Week 3

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 13 Comments A+ a-

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ok, so I really didn’t want to share my week with the world wide web. In fact, I actually contemplated not participating this week; I figured I had a good excuse. But then I recognized it for what it was… an excuse. And then I realized that I HAD to share about my week, because that is what accountability is all about, right? So here goes nothing…

  1. Nagging – Well, that went right out the window, from about Tuesday on. Jon put in some really long hours last week (he had put in 45 hours by Wednesday) and often wasn’t coming home until 8:00 or 9:00 at night. Yet that didn’t stop me; I can’t tell you how many times I reminded Jon to do this or that. Oh, I am SO embarrassed.

  2. Guilt-Free Time-Off – Jon left bright and early (around 4:30am) for his fishing trip with his dad and brother. They headed to a lake about three hours away, so he didn’t arrive home until after 8:00 that night. This is where it gets really ugly.

    There was nothing guilt-free about my attitude upon his return. Where was my thanks? Where was the appreciation? Where was MY kudos? With each ugly thought that entered my mind, I found myself getting growing more and more upset. Even though I realized what I was doing, I couldn’t help myself. I hated that my thoughts were SO centered on me and my entitlement in this whole deal. Even when I realized that this goal wasn’t about recognizing my efforts, but celebrating HIM as a husband and father, I couldn’t stop. I found myself reacting coldly to his stories about the day and I tried picking fights with him the rest of the night. Thank goodness he didn’t take the bait; I have to say that I sorely missed the boat on that one.

    If only I could have stopped and noticed that with each story, the smile on his face, the affectionate touches he gave to me and the children, and his happy demeanor WERE his thanks for the day off. And on an even brighter note, check out the fish he caught!

  3. Um… no comment.

Was I able to greet him at the door? Nope. How did my lunch-making go? Yeah, do two days out of the week count? As you can see, it was NOT a successful week and I’m ashamed to admit that my attitude played a huge part in it. But the good news is that God’s grace and mercies are new every day and now I get to start with a fresh slate… again! So here goes nothing

  1. Nagging… back on the list.
  2. Greeting him at the door, and lunch making… back on the list.
  3. Bedroom… back on the list.

  4. I’ve been covering him in prayer every morning, and I’m going to continue doing that.

  5. And last, but not least. I have to work on my attitude. This marriage is not about changing him or wanting him to work on something; it’s about working on me, putting my best attitude forward, and doing things out of love and respect for him. I really need to remember that…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
8:14 AM delete

I shouldn't say it, but it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that seems to have struggled more since I started this challenge!! Praying for a better week for you (and me) this week. :)

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
8:34 AM delete

Thanks for being so honest about this. I have a BAD attitude when Justin works late, too, and treat him sometimes like he does it on purpose. I definitely need to work on that! Satan is just waiting for us to want to get our marriages back on God's track and then he does everything in his power to de-rail our efforts. Praying this week is a step forward for you guys!!

Reply
avatar
8:43 AM delete

Aren't you glad that we always get a new week to start over with? :)

Reply
avatar
10:31 AM delete

Jenn,

Sorry you had a bad week. I know how you feel, girl! Thanks for sharing, even though it was painful. Satan likes us to keep things hidden, so he can pounce on our guilt. By getting it out in the open, we can bring it before the Lord.

I hope you have a better week, on ALL fronts!

Reply
avatar
Jthemilker
AUTHOR
11:33 AM delete

Keep pressing on. At least you can realize where work is needed. Go and bless your husband and you will be blessed by your efforts...

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
1:25 PM delete

Remember that the evil one doesn't want us to succeed in this challenge because the very last thing he wants is holy, honorable, devoted marriages! He wants division. Pray for protection from the snares of the evil one who seeks to destroy!!

On another note, I wish I could just jump through the screen and hug you!! Your honesty will be the key to your amazing success in this area!!

I have to look at Christine's page for this week's challenge and get on it!!

Reply
avatar
6:44 PM delete

Hi Jenn,

I agree with Stacey. God can take us from where we are, not from where we think we should be. And He will. Hang in there! Better days are ahead.

Love,

Katherine

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
9:21 PM delete

I am sooo there with you on #5.
You know I read once by Ruth Graham Bell. (coming from her....I wanted to listen!) She said "Our job is to love and pray for our husbands and God's job to change them." Now somehow that just take pressure off. All we can do is pray for them and ourselves and let God do the work. I think it gets sticky when we (or at least I) try to do the work myself.

Thank you for sharing your heart, struggles and desires. You are precious!!

Reply
avatar
blackpurl
AUTHOR
10:43 PM delete

Thanks for your honest sharing! We have all had weeks like that and can so relate!

Blessings to you and your marriage this coming week!

Reply
avatar
Jammy
AUTHOR
6:37 AM delete

Praying for you, as you seek to honor God by honoring your hubby. May God bless your efforts this week as you strive toward your goals. Goals, we all seem to share BTW.

Jenn =D

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:50 PM delete

You are not alone!! ((Jenn))

Praying for a great week this next one!!

Reply
avatar
eph2810
AUTHOR
6:10 PM delete

Thank you so much for sharing your honest heart with us this week. I know, it is not easy to stay focused when we get upset...
I pray that this week your goals have a better outcome.

Blessings to you and yours...

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
7:12 PM delete

I'm with ya, Jenn. We're just back from vacation (if you want to call it that - another post for another day).

Praying for you this week.

Reply
avatar