Excitement in the air!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12 Comments A+ a-



Can you sense it? The excitement in the air? We are in countdown mode as our closing date is two weeks from today! In two short weeks, we’ll be holding the key to our very first house and I’m in absolute shock. As I was telling a coworker yesterday, up until now it’s been a dream; something we fantasized about for years. We had no idea how we were going to do it; not with our credit, or the fact that we didn’t have rich parents or obscure relatives leaving us a nice inheritance for a down payment. But now, 14 months after moving in with my parents and living in a dark, dim basement, we are facing the very real reality of owning a house!

I am in a decorating mood, wanting to pick out color schemes and d├ęcor for each room. But the only room I have completely done is Devyn’s room and part of the kitchen. I am WAY open to ideas, so please feel free to share. We’re doing a butterfly theme in Devyn’s room; butterflies are her current obsession and she often flaps her arms and runs around the house saying she is a butterfly. Every time I find something for her room and I show it to her, she gets the most enraptured look on her face. It’s adorable! My mom has even found a butterfly nightlight that is just perfect. I can’t wait to see it all put together!

These are pictures that I found in a magazine; they fit into the theme for Devyn’s room. Not to mention the fact that I just love what each one says; every idea that I want Devyn to grow up embracing!

We have so much to do! Pack up everything in the basement; empty our storage unit; build a fence and dog run for our dogs; landscape the front yard; buy a fridge, washer, and dryer; put in a service door and garage door opener; get all the bills and utilities transferred into our name; put in address changes at work, with the bank, postal service, etc.; and help acclimate the kids (especially Devyn) to a new environment, away from the grandparents and aunts. Whew! I get a headache just thinking about it! We’ll just have to tackle one thing at a time.

Ack! In two weeks we’ll be homeowners!! Ready or not…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
HappyMama
AUTHOR
8:18 AM delete

I LOVE your house! It all looks so amazing. The decor you have chosen for Devyn's room sounds really cute. Remember to take it one thing at a time and you'll get everything done that you need to. In the end, it will all be SO worth it, and trust me, you'll love the feeling of getting handed keys to your first home. Let me know if you need any help with anything!!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
8:20 AM delete

This is so fun to watch (from far away) you experience this great transition! I hope that we can see you wonderful home in the fall:)))

love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
8:46 AM delete

Jenn, I am so incredibly excited for you! You guys have really stepped up to the plate to sacrifice for something you want and now, you're almost there! The house is adorable, I can't wait to see it in person and hang out with the kids there when you go part time! Your idea for Devyn's room sounds beautiful! Advice from someone who's done the new house thing a few months before you, don't feel like you have to get it all done right away. Give yourself some time to really think about the feel of each room and tackle one at at a time. And if you're not careful, you can spend way more money than you should on decorations, so pace yourself. I go to the antique store once a month and try to limit myself to $40.00 on decor each month. This fall I have painting projects in mind, luckily paint is cheap. Please let us know if we can help you guys in any way during your move. I'd love to watch the kids for you on moving day so you can focus on the task at hand and so your family can help you more with moving. Anything, just let us know.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
9:30 AM delete

Congratulations! I love your new house. I am so excited for you. We are going through the same thing right now. We just sold our house and our new house will be completed by the end of August. I feel like I have so much to do!!! Just take a deep breath and do one thing at a time. It will all get done eventually.

Reply
avatar
Lange Mom :o)
AUTHOR
11:23 AM delete

LOVE it!!!! Thanks for sharing.I am so happy for the four of you!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
12:35 PM delete

Jenn,
i spend a few minutes on www.craigslist.com every morning. i check what is available in household, furniture, and what is free!!! i have found quite a few things, and since there is a ft collins one, you don't have to pay shipping or anything. it has been fun! i have been re-doing our house since april, and it can be so overwhelming!!!!! let me know if i can help you with anything!!
good luck, it looks great!!
much love,
amy cameron

Reply
avatar
1:57 PM delete

I can't wait to see pictures of your house! I have absolutely no decorating ability, so I won't even try to offer any suggestions! But I'm curious to see what you come up with :) Enjoy the excitement, and good luck getting everything done :)

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
3:20 PM delete

Yay! I am so excited for you guys, Jenn, and I can't wait to see pictures of your house when it is all decorated. You give me so much hope that someday we will be able to get our own little home! :)

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
4:30 PM delete

Congrats! 2 weeks will FLY by!!!! I love the butterfly theme for your daughter's room....very pretty. I LOVE those pics you will frame.

Reply
avatar
Kristen
AUTHOR
9:18 PM delete

YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!!!! I am so happy for you and your family! It has to be so exciting yet so stressful! So...when is the house warming party?! Ha ha...Can't wait to see the new place and it will be nice to finally have a place for just the 4 of you. :)

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
7:16 AM delete

Almost...I can feel theh excitement...I'm so happy for you all!
I pray that there are no last minute surprises or delays, and that the transition is smooooooth. And blessings upon your parents for what they've done for your family.

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
9:46 PM delete

Also wanted to add "yeah" for being so close to moving into your new house. Our house is taking forever!

The only advice I have for the decorating is live in it for a bit before you do too much. See what rooms you use the most, or where the sun falls at certain times.

Enjoy moving!

Jenn

Reply
avatar