Dedication and Life Verses

Monday, July 02, 2007 12 Comments A+ a-

Dear Devyn and Hudson,

Today was a special day for our family; we dedicated Hudson to God. Devyn, we never wrote a letter like this for your dedication, so I've decided to write this to both of you.

A dedication is very important to your Daddy and I; it's an opportunity to announce to our church body and to God our intent to raise you in a Christian home and point you towards God's saving grace, in the hopes that you may one day accept Jesus as your own personal Lord and Savior. That is our biggest wish for your life, and our most fervant prayer. This day is about family and friends standing with us to offer the support, encouragement, and accountability we need in the years ahead. But most of all, this day is about declaring that you are not ours but God's; its acknowledging that you are an incredibly blessing from Him; and that you are a child of God. Do not ever forget that!

Hudson, since this was your day, I want to start with you. The day after you were born, Nana came into the hospital room and excitedly shared a verse she had found that very morning.

"... so that you may become blameless and pure, child of God, without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like a star in the universe..." Philippians 2:15
The exciting thing about this scripture is the reference, 2:15, your birthday, February 15th. And so, your daddy and I have adopted this scripture as your life verse, in the hopes that you will live out this scripture all the days of your life. Oh my son, may you become a strong man of God, one who discerns easily between right and wrong, who offers compassion to the hurting, and is loving to all.

Miss Devyn Paige, it wasn't until after Nana found Hudson's verse that I realized I wanted a life verse for you too. Please forgive me for not thinking of it earlier. I have searched high and low, looking for a verse with a reference that would match your birthday too, but nothing seemed right. So, I racked my brain for another meaningful date and I came up with March 5th, the day your daddy and I found out that we were pregnant with you. And then, using that date, I found it.
"May the Lord direct your heart into God's love and Christ's perserverance." 2 Thessalonians 3:5
Devyn, you are my child with the most sensitive heart and this verse couldn't be more perfect for you. My beautiful little girl, may all who know you see God in everything you do; may they see unconditional love and grace, and may they see God's favor upon you.

Oh, my little ones, you will not know how much you have blessed our lives, how much you have made our lives full, nor understand how deep our love runs until the day you become parents yourselves. We are so thankful that God has lent you to us, for however long He sees fit. May we be the examples that will lead you to Him.

We love you both, so very much,
Mommy and Daddy


______________________________

[On a sad note: My dad's sister died yesterday morning, from a long fight with diabetes. Aunt JJ was the middle child, with three older sibling and three younger siblings; my dad was born just after her. She is the first sibling to die and while she is in a MUCH better place, please pray for my dad and his family. Aunt JJ is going to be missed...]

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Paula
AUTHOR
7:03 AM delete

We just recently had Colton dedicated. Isn't such a wonderful thing.

The letters are beautiful. Print those out and put them in their baby book. They will cherish those prayers for them.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
7:14 AM delete

I love this idea of writing them a letter about these things.
And life verses - what a great idea!

I will pray for the repose of the soul of your aunt JJ and I will pray for your dad & his fam!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
8:55 AM delete

Beautifully written, Jenn! What a great day--the dedication. I love that story about Hudson's Nana choosing that verse...so special!

Happy Monday to you! much love, Amy

Reply
avatar
10:15 AM delete

Okay, I'm crying at my computer! What a beautiful post. Your children are blessed to have parents who recognize they are indeed gifts from God!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
10:17 AM delete

This is such a beautiful post, Jenn, and a great idea to choose a life verse for each of them.

Reply
avatar
10:38 AM delete

Beautiful post, Jenn. Devyn and Hudson will cherish these letters.
Life verses are a great idea!

Jenn, thank you so much for your prayers over the past couple of weeks. It has really meant alot.

I am sorry for your loss of Aunt JJ. You and your family are in my prayers.

Reply
avatar
Lynn
AUTHOR
4:20 PM delete

Jenn,

This is an awesome and beautiful post!!! I love visiting here. Your site is warm and inviting like a good friend. Love and hugs, Lynn

Reply
avatar
Rosemarie
AUTHOR
6:55 PM delete

Precious! And, what a memory for your children to look back on with gratitude. God is speaking through your heart and I've heard. I will be searching for a life verse for my daughter immediately. I already have one, but it's so important to start teaching it to her now (almost three).

Thanks for stopping by for the hubby challenge. Blessings...

Heavenly Voice

Reply
avatar
8:42 PM delete

What precious letters to your children! And I love the idea of giving them a 'life verse!' It's something your children will probably grow up thinking about--"Let's see, my life verse is such and such, would this particular action/attitude fulfill that?" Pretty cool!

And I'm so sorry to hear about your families loss. My prayers are with you during this time.

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
9:44 PM delete

What a beautiful letter to your children. They are very blessed to have you as their mommy. My hearts cry is the same for my little ones; that they would come to know Jesus as their savior.

I love the idea of picking life verses for your children.

I am so very sorry to hear of your loved one passing. I pray God will comfort your family.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
11:03 PM delete

Jenn, what a beautiful dedication post!

I'm very sorry to hear of the death of your Aunt JJ.

Reply
avatar
3:33 AM delete

Dear Jen
What beautiful dedication and life verses!
I am so sorry to hear about your aunt JJ, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Reply
avatar