New Morning Routine

Thursday, June 28, 2007 13 Comments A+ a-

I walked towards the front sitting room, balancing my cup of coffee atop my Bible. With my other hand, I was trying desperately to find the worship folder on my iPod. I walked into the room, dropped the iPod, and nearly spilled the coffee on the floor.

“Oh my, I didn’t see you there.” I said in a quiet voice. “You startled me!”

“I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to startle you. I’ve just been waiting for you.”

“Waiting for me?” I looked behind me to see if there was anyone else he could have meant.

He smiled, “Of course, I’ve been waiting for you. I’m anxious to catch up with you.”

“Have I kept you waiting long?” I wondered, as I bent over to pick up my iPod.

“Oh my child,” he whispered, “If you only knew how long I’ve been waiting.”

I looked into his face, afraid to see what I might find there. To my surprise, there was no blame, sadness, or disapproval; instead happiness and eagerness filled his face. I smiled in return and sat on the couch. After situating the coffee on my lap and opening the Bible, I turned to face him. “Do you want to join me this morning?” I asked.

His smile was bright and light shone in his eyes, “Child, I thought you’d never ask.”


***************************************

In her post, Amanda talks about how it felt to wake up and start her morning with God. I was encouraged by her words and asked myself, why I didn’t do the same thing. My list was long; I enjoyed sleeping in, mornings were always crazy-busy, why didn’t I try it before bed (yeah right, those times never lasted long), a couple times of week is plenty of time with God, etc. As I thought about it, I realized none of those reasons were good enough anymore. I thought about Amanda’s post all weekend long; there was a peacefulness in the tone of her words, a peace that I wanted. And so, I decided to give it a two-week trial basis. After all, the worst that could happen is I’d be utterly exhausted and decide mornings just weren’t for me.

Monday dawned early… so very early. It was 5:30am and I struggled to get out of bed. I rose, grabbed my Bible, started the coffee maker, and blearily watched the clock while the coffee brewed. I wondered what I had gotten myself into but was determined to see the two-week trial through to the end. And so I sat, that fateful Monday morning, with the coffee on the side table beside me, and my Bible opened to the book of James. I could nearly envision a scene like the one above and discovered that I was SO hungry for this time with God. I devoured the first chapter, eating up His words, but it didn’t nearly satisfy my appetite. This was a hunger unlike anything I’ve ever felt.

I’m a week and a half into my two week trial and already I know that I will not be going back to the way things were before. My morning with God are so precious to me now; I enjoy sitting with Him, reading with Him, asking Him to open my eyes to what He wants me to learn today, and laying my hopes, fears, trials, and tribulations at His feet. I love that I get to cover Jon, Devyn, Hudson, and family and friends in prayer before the day has started. I find that I am a much better wife, mom, sister, daughter, and friend when I’ve started my day out this way.

And the energy I was so afraid to lose? I find it’s not even an issue… most of the time!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
10:00 AM delete

That is so great!! There is nothing better!

I just started reading the One year Bible during my morning time because I have found I really need to have some kind of plan in what I will be reading. That has really helped.

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
11:20 AM delete

I used to overlook offering the Lord the first fruits of my day because I thought they were not worth anything, tired as I was. But He has turned it into something beautiful - focused adoration on Him! And He rewards me with energy and inspiration for the rest of the day, too!

So glad you've joined the realms - and will never look back! Love to you, Jenn!

Reply
avatar
2:36 PM delete

I am so happy for you! My prayers will be with you as you find the energy to continue this blessed time!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
3:12 PM delete

I am inspired and challenged and convicted, thanks for sharing about this Jenn! Can I join you? Please ask me how it's going during out daily chats. Do you set an alarm? I have been doing my quite times with the Lord during naptime, but it seems that it's too easy to let other things fill that time and then half the day is gone before I've come to the thrown. Enough of feeling entitled to that rest. As Elise said, He deserves the firstfruits of my day!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
3:38 PM delete

I love hearing about how it is going, Jenn. Please keep sharing about what you are being taught! I believe your words are really used by God on this blog.

I've been doing the same thing for a few weeks and I will also never go back. I now love my mornings. Sometimes it is interrupted by a hungry baby, but most of the time I am blessed anyway throughout the day. I'm reading Romans right now. So great!

love you! Amy

Reply
avatar
3:48 PM delete

Thank you. This is just what God wanted me to hear today. Isn't it amazing how He can use your experience to bless and convict someone you've never even met?! I love that about our God.
I used to be so consistant with my quiet time... somehow 2 young kids make it hard to get up early :)

Enjoy your time each morning with Him.... and know that someone you've encouraged will be joining you too!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
4:14 PM delete

I miss this time too but am too sleep-deprived at the moment! I'll get back to it soon I hope.

I have a gift for you at my blog! Go check it out when you have a chance.

Reply
avatar
7:14 PM delete

Jenn,

I've been really trying to discipline myself on the mornings, too. I've been reading James & blogging about it. It's an amazing book!

Reply
avatar
Deidre
AUTHOR
8:16 PM delete

I enjoy my quiet time in the middle of the day during naptimes, but I know I need to begin my day with the word. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
11:57 PM delete

Wow, that is so beautiful and so true! I love my quiet time in the morning too!
Blessings,
Joy

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
1:37 PM delete

This is so encouraging to me, Jenn. The last few weeks I have been in survival mode (of course!), but I am anxious to get to the point when all our company is gone and we get settled into somewhat of a routine again and I can start something like this. You have definitely inspired me!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
2:02 PM delete

I am very proud of you Jenn!
I want to be that woman!! The only excuse....and it IS an excuse...is I love sleep. Every little minute I can get I take. I pray about this every now and then.
Maybe I will try it again. Thank you for the inspiration.

Reply
avatar
Liz
AUTHOR
9:50 PM delete

You have such a way with words...beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your heart.

The Lord has worked in my life over the past month to start getting up early. I have enjoyed my quiet time with my Savior...it is so refreshing to strat the day off this way. And, even if the day doesn't go well according to my standards, I have been armed and given strength through His Word to face any challenge.

Reply
avatar