"I need a beer!"

Thursday, June 07, 2007 14 Comments A+ a-

My hat is off to those of you in the real estate and mortgage business. After wrangling with our mortgage broker for a couple of weeks now, I know that is one business I could not work in. The stress of it all is just too much for me! Before I get into the nitty-gritty stuff, I thought I’d share some recent pictures of the progress.

As you can see the walls are up! Devyn just loves running around the house like a crazy person.

The same angle of the house, just a week later. They’ve added the windows, doors, and a roof.

This is the angle from our front door, looking in. Straight ahead is the gas fireplace and next to that is the full wall separating the living room from the kitchen.

This is looking into the guest/kid bathroom from the hallway. Plumbing is almost done!

This is looking into the master bathroom from our bedroom.

As you can see, we are getting so excited and this dream is fast becoming a reality for us! We visit the house at least four to five times a week. We enjoy taking our family with us to see the progress and to show them that our living in their basement for a year was not for nothing. J Jon and I think Devyn actually understands what is going on; she constantly asks to see “Daddy’s house” or “Mommy’s house”. She even refers to it as “my house” and “baby’s house”. It is so exciting to watch her run from room to room and know that we’ll be creating so many wonderful family memories in this house.

We should be doing the electrical walk-through with the foreman next week and we were told that once that walk-through happens, we can expect to close sometime within the next 45 days. So, we’re definitely in count-down mode now. In that same regard, we’ve been stressing out because the interest rates keep rising. Our mortgage broker is scrambling to find us the best mortgage and we’re desperately seeking the right move on whether we should lock in now or wait to see if the interest rates drop again. In fact, our monthly payments have raised $150 in two weeks, just due to the interest rates. Good grief! The mere overload of information and stress led to Jon uttering the words, "I need a beer" and I nodded in agreement. We both enjoyed the cool, tasty drink; it seemed to hit the spot. (The yeast in beer is good for breast-feeding, right?)

Please reassure me that this will all be worth it!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

14 comments

Write comments
12:42 PM delete

Coming from one who just finished renovating, it will be worth it!! I keep meaning to post pics of our finished product. One day. . . Anyway, your house is coming along great! How exciting!!

P.S. When our house was in the same state as yours, we wrote scripture on the floors, etc. in each room. I picked scripture applicable to the room. Verses about our speech/conversation and unity in the family room and kitchen, etc. Marriage verses for the master. Verses about sleep and peace in the nursery. Verses about refreshment and good sleep in the guest room. And, lastly my special verses for my boys on their floor! It means the world to me to know what we are standing on each day!!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
1:07 PM delete

Oh, yes...Joel said that so many times during our process of buying the house. Bring on the beer;) The house looks so great and you're getting so close. And $150 in two weeks?! Praying for wisdom for your broker! much love to you! Amy

Reply
avatar
LPDraper
AUTHOR
1:28 PM delete

It will be so worth it in the end! We just finished selling our first house... the one we brought both of our babies home to. We have so many incredible memories from that house (we too watched it be built from dirt up!) and I am so thankful for the 5 years we had in it.
Like Amy, we too said "I need a beer" during the process... it can definitely be a bear at times. In those "UGHHHH" moments... just remember all the wonderful memories you'll create in your new home.
God Bless you!!
Lindsey

PS- I've heard of doctors telling new moms to drink a beer if breastfeeding is a challenge at first... it apparently encourages lactation and helps you relax! :)

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
1:38 PM delete

My husband and I just recently went through the same process you are. We had a house built not even a year ago...and while it was fun and rewarding in the end...leading up to the completion was nothing less than trying. Dealing with builders, lenders, etc, etc...we just carried beer in our back pockets!!!

We still arn't completly there (The landscaping is still a fright) but let me tell you...the memories we've already had in the 9 months we've been here, makes the process all worth it!

Good luck, and let the count down begin!!!

Reply
avatar
1:45 PM delete

I don't know, I've never had a house built before.....but I imagine that it will probably be worth it :)
Seriously, though, the pictures look great! I can't wait to see the finished product...looks like you're getting really close now!

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
1:53 PM delete

Having your own house is totally worth it!!

Don't stress too much about the interest rates, because they are variables that you can't control. There's no guarantee what they will be one day or three weeks from now, so my suggestion is to pray about it and God will lead you in the right direction.

By the way, the descriptions of Devyn running around the house sounds absolutely precious.

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
1:54 PM delete

Also, wanted to mention that I love the new profile picture you have!!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:58 PM delete

It IS all worth it my friend! We didn't have the headache you are having with interest rates, our first mortgage is nice and low, but our second mortgage, gag! We are prioritizing getting that one paid off ASAP. Avoid a second mortgage if you can, but it's pretty par for the course for first time home buyers...I think. That payment will be an adjustment for sure, but if you can keep a rigorous budget, you will be fine. Stewardship becomes so important when you buy a home! All in good time, you'll be moving in to your beautiful new place! Can't wait to come out and warm it all up!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
3:52 PM delete

Take it from someone who just moved into a new house in Oct 2006, it is all worth it. Just think of it as the home God has designed just for you and your family. There truly is something to be said for being a "homeowner" when you have also been the designer.

Lots of Love, Debbie S.

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
4:12 PM delete

THIS WILL ALL BE WORTH IT
THIS WILL ALL BE WORTH IT
THIS WILL ALL BE WORTH IT

Did I convince you? ;o)
Praying for you my friend.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
11:00 PM delete

Jenn,
I'm so glad I found you again!! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I want to update your link! You have a Hudson now (my 3rd is Hudson)!! He is beautiful, and I'm so happy for you.
And yes, the yeast in beer is good for breast-feeding...a friend and I were just discussing it this morning!! :)

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
12:44 PM delete

How exciting and stressful at the same time! How fun it will be when you are finally in YOUR home...YOURS! Sounds nice, doesn't it?

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:47 PM delete

Yes - it will be worth it!

All of this will be a distant memory in a year, and you will be enjoying your beautiful home.

Praying for you, along with Amy! Yes, Lord!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
8:10 AM delete

Okay, you do know that loan officers/mortgage brokers can play around with the interest points. They will never tell you this but they can get your prayment to what it needs to be. I would shop for another mortgage. $150.00 is a lot! Those guys are like car dealers. I prayed and prayed to find the right one and I found a guy that was a mortgage banker. This cut out all the middle man crap. I actually lost hair during that process. Don't be afird to shop that interest rate. Yes, it goes up and you have to lock in before it does. But, those guys are sneaky and they make money off the points.

And if you have an escrow account, make sure they figure out your taxes or estimate them for the following year. IF not, your escrow account will be short and your payment will go up. Who knows! Maybe your not doing an Escrow account. We won't when we buy again.

SORRY! SORRY! I don't usually give advice like this but this is something I went through two years ago and I learend so much. Also things may be totally different in texas.

As far as the beer goes, yes! It's always better with a little bit of lime and salt!

Reply
avatar