HYH Challenge - Week 2

Monday, June 25, 2007 18 Comments A+ a-

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The end of week one and it's time to report in. How did I do? Hmmm... that is a loaded question if I've ever heard one. Well, I did have the guts to ask my husband how he felt; what I did right, what I can do better, etc. I was pleasantly surprised by his answer. Yes, he felt honored; yes, he felt respected; and yes, he felt cared for. He even pointed out that I nagged less, which wasn't one of my goals but was a pleasant side-effect. Ok, on to the specific goals from last week:

  1. I did manage to greet him every day this week. I met him at the door with a smile and a kiss. This is definitely something I'll be continuing for the rest of the challenge (and hopefully beyond that!)
  2. The first night I made his lunch, he came over to me to feel my forehead to make sure I was feeling ok. (Yes, I know, he can be a bit sarcastic at times!) But I laughed it off and could tell that he was sincerely pleased that I was making the effort. He even called me the next day to thank me for the little notes I wrote on his sandwich bags. It definitely feels good to be doing that again!
  3. The bedroom... well, um, this is going to have to back on my list this week. It’s so hard with two little ones, exhaustion for both of us, and trying to time bed times accordingly. I think I'm going to have to get a little creative this week.

My goals this week include:

  1. Even though Jon said that my nagging is already down, this is a goal that I want to actively work on. I hate when I'm asked to do something more than once and I know that I do this with Jon quite often. So, here's go nothing. Wish me luck!
  2. I'm borrowing a page out of Sarah's goals from last week. I want to set aside a day this coming weekend to allow Jon to pursue a hobby of his without any guilt from me. I've already told him that Saturday is HIS day to do what he wants, with whom he wants, and the kids are all mine. You should have seen his face light up. Guess what he's planning to do?!
  3. Again, I'm tackling the bedroom goal. Personal goals that, for the sake of family and friends that read this blog, I will not be sharing. (I'm sure that's the last thing his mother wants to read about!!)

I am absolutely amazed and excited to see how many women have joined with this challenge. I can picture God just beaming from ear-to-ear as we unite to become women after God's own heart. I will be thinking and praying for all of you who are striving to honor your husbands this week!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

18 comments

Write comments
Denise
AUTHOR
11:50 AM delete

Praying for you, and your marriage.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
11:50 AM delete

Way to go, Jenn! You did great and I love your goals.

I hear you on number 3:)

Reply
avatar
12:19 PM delete

I love your goals and post. You have a very sweet blog and I am glad I stopped by it has blessed me. May the Lord bless you this week and always.

In his endless love,

Angel ():)

Reply
avatar
wyndesnow
AUTHOR
1:03 PM delete

What great goals you have for this week. I no longer feel like I am the only one out there that feels this way. It's nice to see that everyone has common goals and are struggling with the same things.

Have a great week! Wendy

Reply
avatar
1:06 PM delete

Thanks for the encouragement! I agree with your goals! The last one is really hard for us because he does work nights and is only home on Friday and Sat. nights each week. With two smaller children it can be hard to get them out of our room and into their own beds for the night. But we work on it! It is hard for me because I am so tired from a day of watching infants, toddlers and preschool children. Then having to get mine to bed. But it is a worthy effort that I am working on making regularly. thanks again for the encouragement your blog brings and for sending me a note! I love having new friends!

Reply
avatar
Oldqueen44
AUTHOR
1:33 PM delete

I love #2 for this week. Wow nothing, (well not too many things) feel as good as getting to dive into a hobby and feel the freedom of time. You will score big with that one.

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
2:10 PM delete

I'm a dad, but I'm joining, too. I love my wife and I want her to know it every second.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Christi
AUTHOR
2:13 PM delete

Nagging seems to be a common theme this week.

Good luck with your goals for the week - praying that your marriage continues to be blessed!

Reply
avatar
Jthemilker
AUTHOR
3:01 PM delete

Very sweet and thank you for the comments on my blog. Keep up the good work... you will both be so blessed. BTW - I love the photo at the top of your blog!!!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
3:04 PM delete

Yay! Great progress! It's so wonderful to hear how Jon noticed and appreciated your efforts!

May God bless your week again this week!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
11:08 PM delete

Thanks for sharing. I think it is soo sweet that Jon called to thank you for the notes! And, I think it's incredibly sweet that you are letting him have Saturday "off". How fun!
Blessings,
Joy

Reply
avatar
blackpurl
AUTHOR
2:41 AM delete

Thanks so much for sharing your goals! I pray that God truly blesses and enriches your marriage through all of this!

Peace, Alida

Reply
avatar
Melanie
AUTHOR
5:42 AM delete

Great job meeting 2 of your goals from last week. And, some great new goals for this week. As for the bedroom goal, I need to work on that too. I just don't have the guts to even say that on my site with all of our family reading it.

Reply
avatar
Alycia
AUTHOR
7:57 AM delete

God is blessing our efforts in a wonderful way! I am so happy your husband noticed your intentional (and unintentional efforts too!) and felt honored. That is great!! You mentioned a couple of goals I want to focus on as well. Have a great week!

Reply
avatar
1:18 PM delete

You did well! Good for you! I'm still with you on #3. So sweet of you to give him the day off. Mine's explored his newfound hobby twice this week, and even though I've wanted to complain...I haven't.

I'm so glad we have accountability!

Reply
avatar
bonnie
AUTHOR
6:32 PM delete

You all inspire me!! It is so nice to know there are others in the same boat. I have recently discovered this "neighborhood" of bloggers, and I am honored to be able to read about your lives. You all inspire me to be a better mom and wife! Your blog is beautiful and Thank you for sharing!!!

Reply
avatar
shawn
AUTHOR
10:20 AM delete

I just started reading your blog, checking in on the Challenge. :) I like your idea of giving your husband guilt-free time! Thanks for sharing your goals, it is inspiring!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
2:06 PM delete

You are doing a great job. I definately want to start this. I am a litle late since I was gone all week. But I will try to join in.

Reply
avatar