Honor Your Husband Challenge

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 15 Comments A+ a-

This challenge will be a little sticky and awkward for me to participate in because I have so many real-life people who read this blog, including the husband that I want to honor. So family and friends, if you find this challenge to be too personal or makes you uncomfortable, you may want to stop reading whenever you see the Honor Your Husband button. I’ll leave the decision up to you.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I am so excited for this challenge that Christine from Fruit In Season is hosting. Honor Your Husband – the instruction sounds so simple, doesn’t it?! Yet, I find that it’s hard to put Jon before our children because, after all, he is an adult and can care for himself, as opposed to my children who rely on me for their every need to be met. Do you see how I justify myself? All too often, I forget that Jon DOES have needs that only I, as his wife, can meet. I have been called to honor and love him; and I want Jon to know how important he is to me. I also feel it’s important to demonstrate it for my children. They will see how I treat my husband and will carry those actions and ideas into their own marriages some day; what will they remember? That I obeyed God and treated him with love, respect, and honor? Or will they remember the times I was short, inpatient, and angry?

This challenge is coming at just the right time in my life. God is working in my life right now; I can feel it. I am already embarking on a personal challenge right now and this challenge will play alongside it nicely. We are facing a number of changes in the upcoming months and now is a wonderful time to start new habits and rekindle some old habits. Besides that, we are finally in a nice groove after adding another baby to the family, so I can now devote myself and my time to the priorities that God has laid before me.

My goals for this week include:

  • The first is similar to Christine’s; making a conscious effort to greet Jon every afternoon. It has become too routine to sit on the couch and let Devyn greet her daddy first. Or finish whatever it is I’m doing before rising to greet Jon. Or allowing Jon to make the first step. He needs to know how much I missed his presence throughout the day and how glad I am that he’s home.
  • The second goal for this week is rekindling a habit that I started during our first year of marriage, but have not done since. Jon has even made numerous comments about this and has expressed his wish that I continue doing it. During our first year of marriage I made his lunch every night before I went to bed, and with it I included little notes (usually written with a sharpie pen on the Ziploc bag) telling him how much he means to me; thanking him for doing something special for me; or just saying I love you.
  • The third goal for this week is incredibly personal and I won’t be revealing very many details about it… for obvious reasons. Suffice it to say that there are needs in the bedroom too, and I will be working on those as well.

There you have it; my goals for this week. I wish everyone the best of luck! I would also like to caution others that Satan is NOT going to like that we are working on our marriages; he hates that we’re going to strengthen the very bonds that he tries to destroy. He will place obstacles in our path; be it in the form of needy children, a shorter temper, no energy, a busy schedule, or other little things. While praying that God will work in our marriages, I think we should also be praying for His protection too.

If you would like to join us on this 30-day challenge, pop on over to Christine’s site and sign-up. There is strength in numbers, my friends, and as Christine has pointed out, accountability is key!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

15 comments

Write comments
TammieFay
AUTHOR
1:45 PM delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving those encouraging words! You are so right about our enemy...but greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the world! Praise His name!

Reply
avatar
1:56 PM delete

Thanks for reading & commenting.
It takes a great deal of prayer to get our hearts back where they should be / used to be.

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
2:04 PM delete

Thanks so much for your sweet comment. I love your goals, all of them, and I might just steal the lunch one! #3 - girlfriend, we could all use work in that area. Good for you!

PS. Thanks for making that super button! How'dja do that?

Reply
avatar
4:20 PM delete

That sounds great! I may have to look into this little challenge!! With little ones running around, it is easy to take my Erik for granted!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:24 PM delete

You are so precious, Jenn - sometimes I think you are years older than me in maturity, and I'm not kidding!
You inspired me with your goals - I haven't officially signed on with the challenge, but I am here, reading and being encouraged.
Love to you!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
9:38 PM delete

What great goals for the week! I also agree about forgeting my husband because he doesn't need me to do things for him like the kiddos. And, I could share with you a story about #3...probably every wife needs work in this area!

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
11:12 PM delete

Jenn, this is so awesome! I, for one, know how easy it is to take a loving husband for granted.

The Lord will bless your family through this. You are teaching your children such valuable lessons. I look forward to hearing about the blessings to come as you embark on this new challenge.

Reply
avatar
wyndesnow
AUTHOR
10:11 AM delete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving comments. These first few days haven't been so bad, but my husband has been out of town. I hope that by him being gone and me getting a few things done that when he gets home we can enjoy each other.

Reply
avatar
Lynn
AUTHOR
4:28 PM delete

Hi Jenn,

I am just now getting to the Marriage Challenge and trying to visit everyone.

I was especially impressed with the second goal you set. It is interesting in that I just got off the phone with the counselor I work with in my ministry. She and I were talking about how she makes a lunch for her husband everyday and how very significant that is in their relationship.

This is a good and Godly goal for your marriage. So glad I stopped in. Blessings, Lynn

Reply
avatar
Connie Barris
AUTHOR
5:03 PM delete

isn't it amazing how Satan has a picnic in our marriage... I couldn't even finish Dinner tonight and our conversation without interruption of our two grown drama queen daughters calling in hysterics... I just looked at my husband and prayed.. Lord, I just need time with Him and him...

great goals.. I think I like yours..tweaking mine a little...

ps... Laura said I could ask you to help me learn how to make buttons.. is that true?? could I could I ,,, please?????

Reply
avatar
6:40 PM delete

Amen, sista! I agree with you on those goals. Ahem.

Hope you're having a blessed week!

Reply
avatar
e-Mom
AUTHOR
6:59 PM delete

I just popped in from Laura's... nice to meet you! You have some wonderful goals for your marriage.
Hugs 'n prayers, e-Mom

Reply
avatar
Hilary
AUTHOR
2:12 PM delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment. I'm with you on the "real life people" reading my blog - friends of course, but also my mom and lots of other family, and my husband. I'd rather do these things without him having a heads-up that they are coming, but be that as it may... :) I love the lunch idea! I may have to grab that one for next week. I know I'll be going a lot longer than 30 days... startings slow, building habits, for the sake of my husband, my marriage and a good example for my kids. Thanks for the reminder on your blog about the enemy, too. Stand firm! :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
5:59 PM delete

I love your list! I can relate to all of them. And you're so right about Satan butting his nose right in our marriages. Thanks again for the button! Hope Jon is benefitting from #3. ;)

Reply
avatar
Rosemarie
AUTHOR
10:21 PM delete

I enjoy your honesty and speaking of starting new habits and rekindling some old habits-especially making him lunch and notes with a sharpie.

My husband's breakfast on the weekends is all he looks forward too, and I've been complaining that he usually waits until I'm done in the kitchen to request a meal. Shame on me! I think this will be this week's bonus challenge. What a great idea!

My lengthy second post for the 30-day challenge is published.

Heavenly Voice

Reply
avatar