Football Games and Dances

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9 Comments A+ a-

High school, wow, just the thought brings a smile to my face. I have been thinking about high school so much this week; the good, happy memories and the embarrassing, want-to-die moments and the days of care-free existence, while trying to figure out life. *Sigh* Those were the days!

Last weekend my friend, Kim, flew in from Florida to visit her family and to attend the bridal shower I threw her on Saturday. It was a wonderful day! Usually, I hate throwing showers. I tend to be anal about every detail, wanting it just so, and then I work myself into an anxiety attack because I hate the idea of something I’m hosting will be less than perfect. (Insane, I know.) When she sent me the list of people she wanted to invite, I was excited to see names of the girls I hung out with in high school. I hadn’t seen Amy since her wedding almost two years ago; I hadn’t seen Jamie since… well, I don’t know when. And then there was Marianne, whom I see all the time, despite the fact that she lives in Utah, but Kim hadn’t seen her in years! I sent off the invitations and eagerly awaited their responses.

Marianne, Kim, Amy, and I before one of our high school dances (and yes, that is Jon standing behind me, skinny, skinny guy!). It was the Sadie Hawkins dance where the girls ask the guys.


Marianne started emailing me right away, “wouldn’t it be cool if…” and “I want to come so badly but…” and I cajoled her, reasoned with her, and finally convinced her that she didn’t need to take the test that day, she could put it off another month or so. And so we agreed, Marianne would surprise Kim at the shower and I knew Kim would be shocked. Amy left a voicemail message, saying she was so excited to come and would it be ok to bring her 9-month-old baby girl. Amy… a mommy?! It was surreal to me; I tried calling her back but had the wrong number. So I finally wrote a quick email assuring her it would be ok to bring the little one and I was looking forward to seeing her. Kim let me know that Jamie had responded to her and would not be able to make it. I had expected such a reaction but that’s another story for another day. I was so excited; four out of the five girls, who were best friends in high school, would be together for a mini-reunion.

Kim, Jamie, Marianne, Amy, and I approximately two days before graduation. We all met at Amy’s house before heading off the coliseum to practice for the big day.


Saturday arrived and it was a gorgeous day! I ran around all morning like a chicken with its head cut off; running last minute errands, picking up food, treating Devyn to a Happy Meal and playtime, basically making myself crazy. Marianne arrived first, anxious to help and ready to serve, I eagerly put her to work. Approximately a half hour later, Kim arrived with her mom and grandmother and for some reason she was detained at the front door. I glanced at Marianne who was literally bouncing with excitement around the corner. I will never forget the look on Kim’s face as Marianne came out of hiding. She was stunned… and so happy. Amy arrived a little late but such is the case with babies. I gave her a huge hug and grabbed her baby girl, who was the perfect combination of both parents, and refused to allow anyone else to hold her.

The shower went off without a hitch; games were played, teasing ensued, and gifts were opened. But the best part of the whole day came afterwards; when the four of us were able to sit down, catch up on each other’s lives, and reminisce about the good ‘ol days. It was wonderful; I was immediately taken back to the days of football games, dances, Friday night sleepovers, TPing, old boyfriends, first cars, first kisses, hopeful dreams, senior trips, road trips, secret crushes, old fights, etc. We literally could have talked for hours but Kim’s mom and grandma were ready to go. It was such a bittersweet feeling to stand there with three women with whom I share such a wonderful past and see how far we’ve all come.

Kim, Marianne, Amy, baby Emma Louise, and I at my parents house. *Sigh* Where has the time gone?!


We took pictures, hugged each other a little longer and a little tighter, and then made a promise to attend our 10-year high school reunion together. I am looking forward to next summer…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
3:36 PM delete

Good job, Jenn! I am the same way when planning those sort of things...I'm just terrible to be around! How fun to be around such great friends from the past!

And look at you! You are so cute and hip! I have no idea what you are talking about..."that mom"..;)

love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:50 PM delete

How fun!

I love the pictures from years past and now - makes me wish I could see all of my old friends again! :)

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
6:09 AM delete

High School~~~~Aww FUN! Life on the go, excited about dating, prom, going to McDonalds together, care-free, and loving life. Yes, those were good days.
I still wouldn't trade them for what I have now.

Reply
avatar
Curious Reader
AUTHOR
8:52 AM delete

You have us curious now. What happened to Jamie? You have to tell us that story - TODAY.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
12:29 PM delete

You don't look like "that mom" in this picture! You look awesome!!
I am glad you had such fun with your girls!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
12:51 PM delete

Awww. . how sweet! Your 10 year reunion is NEXT year?!?!?!? Oh My Gosh! I dont' even want to talk about it. My 20, yes 20 year reunion will be in 2009. Ugh!

Reply
avatar
1:37 PM delete

How much fun you must have had! Can you believe that it's been ten years since you graduated high-school? This year will make seven for me, and that seems almost unbelieveable! Wasn't I just a teen-ager, trying to decide what to do with my life? I see all my cousins graduating now, and I think "But wait, they're just little kids!" :)

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
3:33 PM delete

Sounds like you all had a fabulous time! Isn't it so much fun to sit down with friends from high school, or ones that you haven't seen in a long time and reconnect. A true blessing from God!

And, I have to agree with the other comments - I do not see you as "that mom."

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
3:35 PM delete

haha, I love the picture of you and Jon in high school -- it's crazy to look back at pictures like that and think how long lives have been intertwined :)

Reply
avatar