Do I Hear $25?

Saturday, June 16, 2007 6 Comments A+ a-

Oh… what a Saturday! Jon and I just got back from an auction. It was the first auction I’ve ever been to and I’m afraid I may have gotten a bit carried away. But I did get some incredible deals out of it.

My parents’ builder is getting ready to finish their neighborhood and held an auction to get rid of all of the model home furnishings. My mom and sister attended a similar auction a year ago and got an incredible deal on her bed, so I was really looking forward to today. There were three model homes and as I perused the items in each house, I found myself circling item after item and I just knew that I was going to break our budget for the day.

As the auction started, I was surprised to see what items were costing. For example, house plants were going for almost $75, but there were also some incredible deals too. For instance, a king-sized bedroom set went for only $400. So, when the auctioneer started the bidding on the only queen-sized bedroom set, I told myself I’d see how it went. When the auctioneer couldn’t get anyone to go higher than $200, I tentatively raised my card. To my surprise, I won! For $250 we got an almost brand-new queen-sized headboard, a dresser with a mirror, and two nightstands!! I was ecstatic; in fact, I was so excited I forgot to give the auctioneer my number.

All in all, we got some great deals on the bedroom set, a wrought-iron wall decoration, and some knick-knack items for the kitchen. It was such a rush! Now, all we have to do is wait for the house to be finished!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Stephanie
AUTHOR
7:37 AM delete

$250??!!!! What a steal!!! Glad you had a good time :)

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
9:36 AM delete

How fun, Jenn! Isn't it so exciting to actually be thinking about furnishing your house? Good bidding:) love, Amy

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
3:28 PM delete

I know what you mean! My hubby works for a builder and when they are finshed with EVERY ONE of their models, they do a silent auction for the employees. We got 4 pics, a TOTAL rice bed queen bedroom suit which included the mattress, box springs and bed covers (totally IN thing in SC) and other 'stuff' for $160.00. Incredible! We love it when they do the auctions - we're furnishing our entire house that way! GOOD FOR YOU!

Reply
avatar
Sonya
AUTHOR
7:09 AM delete

Glad you got some great deals! Never been to an auction myself because I know I would not be able to control myself! LOL! I may even tackle someone if they tried to out bid me on something I really wanted!

Reply
avatar
carrie
AUTHOR
7:56 AM delete

Isn't an auction something else?!

I went to one recently and wrote about it here: http://watibg.blogspot.com/2007/05/going-once-going-twice.html

By the way, I love Nickel Creek, and was excited to listen to them while perusijng your blog.

Reply
avatar
Oldqueen44
AUTHOR
1:49 PM delete

That sounds like a lot of fun. I went to one once when we were first married and got our antique dining set. That was ages ago. I assume it was a good deal since we were poor.

Reply
avatar