Pass the Bucket

Sunday, May 06, 2007 14 Comments A+ a-

There are times in a parent's life when they question why they became parents in the first place. This weekend was one of those times. On Saturday night, Jon and I collapsed into each other's arms, both admitting that "this parenting-thing is incredibly overrated!" All kidding aside, it was a difficult weekend.

I'd been fighting a virus since Thursday and this virus is nasty! Suffice it to say that it knocked me flat on my back. (Going into details seems like cruel and unusual punishment for those with weak stomachs.) In times like these, I am so glad that I'm living at home. My sister, Allison, was a HUGE help that day. She took over the care of the kids, only bringing Hudson to me when he needed nursing, and even forced me to eat some chicken noodle soup and drink water. All of her care and effort allowed me to have the rest and sleep I so desperately needed. I'm really not sure what I would have done without her. On Friday I felt a little better but even now I'm battling an extremely sore throat, which is fast approaching laryngitis.

On Saturday morning, around 3:00am, I woke to Jon jumping out of bed and the sounds of retching coming from Devyn's bed. [Side note: I can't wake this man to save his life, but at the first sound of Devyn throwing up, he's up like a lightning bolt?!] It was Jon's turn to keep his end of our I'll-handle-poop-he'll-handle-throw-up deal. He promptly removed her from bed and had in her in a bath before I could blink an eye. Devyn's pitiful cries for "mama" roused me out of bed and I trooped upstairs to join them in the bathroom. In the midst of trying to offer comfort to Devyn, my stomach started pitching and rolling. Soon I was also retching and Jon was trying to comfort both of us. It felt like stuff nightmares, or the very least comedy routines, are made of; a child repeatedly throwing up in the bathtub, with her mom retching into the toilet right beside it.

During the whole day, Jon and I tag-teamed Devyn and her sickness. He pulled the 5:00 - 7:00am shift; I pulled the 7:00 - 9:00 shift, and so on. For 16 hours straight Devyn repeatedly threw-up between sips of water, or Jell-O when she went a 2-hour plus time frame without puking. Around 6:00 that night, her temperature went above 101-degrees and my sore throat was killing me, I'd decided that it was time for a trip to our Urgent Care. I bundled us both up and away we went, leaving Jon and Hudson behind. On the way, while I was telling Devyn the doctor was going to make us feel better, she looked at me with a pitiful look on her face and threw up all over her car seat and herself. The smell of Jell-O permeated the car and Devyn was crying as she held up her red-Jell-O-vomit-covered pajamas. It was then that I was ready to hand in my mommy-card.

The good, kind doctor simply told us that it was a virus, that it was going around, and expect it to last approximately 24-48 hours. I sighed and buckled Devyn back into her vomit-covered car seat and went back home. When I finally got Devyn to sleep for the night, I simply fell into Jon's lap and we lamented that this part of parenting was quite simply "hard".

I'm happy to report that Devyn seems much better today and we've gone over 24 hours without either of us throwing-up. Her appetite is back and she's back to dancing around the house. While I jokingly wanted to curl up in a ball and pretend it wasn't happening, there is something to be said about offering comfort to your baby. Despite the numerous baths, the constant bedding washes, and medicine giving, there is nothing better than picking up your child, cuddling her on your lap, and stroking her hair. Sometimes, all they need is to know that you're there...

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

14 comments

Write comments
Susie
AUTHOR
5:16 AM delete

I'm so glad y'all are feeling better! Even now at the age of 29, when I'm sick, there's nothing quite as healing as my mother's touch. :)

Reply
avatar
Rachelle
AUTHOR
6:45 AM delete

I can completely relate to all of this! Honestly, I think we are among the first humans in history that glorifies parenthood to the point that we're usually surprised by how very difficult it can be. I think probably our ancestors knew it would be challenging yet it was never a "choice" to have kids, it was an obligation and a duty and simply what you did! Parenting has always been hard but because it's also SO full of joy for us--and we can't imagine NOT being parents--those difficult moments can really get us down. Luckily, the incredible love that God gives us for our children carries us through.

Reply
avatar
angeleyes Blue
AUTHOR
7:01 AM delete

You will look back at this weekend and both you and your family will say ...Remember when Mommy was so sick and when you choked--(that's what my kids called vomitting when they were younger) all over your carseat? This is mommyhood. Welcome :)

I have always believed that we need to have those yucky times to balance out those WOW times as a parent. Here's to having more WOW times than yucky times.

I now have teenagers and they don't vomit very much. They do exert their right to independence by going to the mall with their friends, shopping for their own clothes, eating EVERYTHING in sight, (eating doen't always include cleaning up the kitchen when they are done) looking at colleges and learning how to drive.

We laugh in this house often need to or we would all cry.

Hope you and your family are feeling better. Remember this to shall pass.

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
7:48 AM delete

What an ordeal! I agree that in the midst of those times, parenting seems like such a "bad decision". Glad to hear that both of you are feeling better now! Now on to cleaning up that car seat...ugh....

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
9:15 AM delete

I'm right there with you Jenn! Despite a clean bill of health when you called to check on us, Chloe was up all night last night with a fever and the pukes. I'm not sure if she got it from sharing a spoon with Devyn or from her daddy's bug, but all I can say is that I'm exhausted and I really pray this is only a 24 hour bug and that we're past the worst of it. Additionally, I pray that Emma and I are spared. I have no Allison nanny to come to my rescue, so say an extra little prayer for my tummy! I'm glad you're on the mend.
p.s. My You Tube of Emma isn't working on my blog? Any suggestions?
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
9:35 AM delete

Poor mommy and Devyn! So glad you both are feeling better now! What an ordeal! 'Just' the stomach flu can be quite a nightmare, can't it?

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
11:22 AM delete

Glad to know you guys are feeling better. Now hopefully Hudson and Jon don't pick up what you and Devyn left behind!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
1:44 PM delete

My goodness! Yes, we've had many of those times when Joel and I look at each other and wonder what we're really doing! In fact, yesterday was one of those days:) You are such a good mama...hope you are all healthy very soon!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
6:38 PM delete

Poor things! Big hugs. Glad you are doing better.

Reply
avatar
7:47 PM delete

Bless your heart!!! Stomach viruses are the worst!!

Glad that you all are feeling better. Know that I am praying for you about work, etc.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
5:50 AM delete

I know what you mean. Those times are indeed hard. I remember a time when we were a young married couple without kids both suffering from a stomach bug. We were miserable and commented on how difficult it was to be an adult now that has not only deal without the mommy's comfort but also have to clean up after yourself (we had overflowing toilets - bad normally, horrendous when you're sick). Now with adding three little ones to the mix, yes it is hard, very hard and I always struggle with having a serving, compassionate attitude when the kids are sick. But thankfully God made our bodies to heal so it passes. That never ceases to amaze me! But, oh, those car seats are horrible to clean! God bless you guys!

Reply
avatar
Rachel
AUTHOR
8:57 AM delete

I've had experiences like that with me and my kiddos. I always catch whatever they have. I've not got those super immune mommy vibes yet. My mom almost never got sick when us kids did, but I'm usually sicker than the kids are.
I'm glad you made it to the other side alive. I've enjoyed coming across your blog.

~~Rachel
www.nothinggold.net

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
8:20 PM delete

My goodness, you poor thing. Iam so sorry. I am glad it is over. Being sick is no fun, but to throw a child on top of that....just not fair.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
6:19 PM delete

Ugh!! Definitely no fun!! I remember when Maddy had a bug that had her throwing up for 3 days and then having diarrhea for 5 more days!! Let me just say that my nose never fully recovered!

Glad things are better!

Reply
avatar