Earning His Keep

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8 Comments A+ a-

Yes, that’s correct; the check pictured above IS made out to Hudson. It came in the mail over the weekend and we had a good chuckle over the fact that this is Hudson’s first paycheck… And he’s not even three months old yet!

There is a local Christian curriculum publishing house in our area and in April they sent out an email to their staff asking for a newborn male to be “Jesus” for a photo shoot. Apparently, Group Publishing is putting out some Christmas materials and they wanted a nativity scene for it. My uncle, who happens to work for them, told them about Hudson and then gave them a link to this blog to view photos of the little guy. Within a week, they gave me a call and asked if we’d be willing to let Hudson be the model for Jesus. Without hesitation, we said yes.

We showed up at the photo shoot on time and I was given some forms to fill out. Basically they were consent forms allowing Hudson to do this, giving the company permission to print his photo, etc. We then moved to a nearby park where they had set up some tents and “Joseph” was waiting in full costume. “Mary” had yet to arrive and the assistants had no idea where she was. There was talk among the photographer and assistants that if needed, I (me) could fill in as the role of Mary. “Huh? Wait a minute…” was my first reaction. I hate having my picture taken, much less for something as public as this, but I knew I would have done it. Just as I started filling out the paperwork for myself, the real “Mary” called and said she was on her way. Whew!!

The photo shoot went amazingly smooth and lasted approximately an hour. Hudson did a phenomenal job; he was awake and alert for the first half of the shoot and sound asleep for the second half. It was fun to stand there and watch as Mary and Joseph cuddled my newborn son, who was wrapped in white, itchy cloth. I enjoyed listening to the comments from the production staff and the models about what a good baby he was; I loved that in-between takes the photographer would call “Mom” and I’d rush onto the set to hold Hudson or comfort if he was getting fussy. All in all, it was a fun day and I’m glad that we were given the opportunity to do it.

So, yes, for an hour’s work, my dear, sweet, newborn son earned $30 and the chance to say that he once played Jesus.

(Once I get a copy of the photo from Group, I’ll be sure to post it on here. I was told that I’d get a copy once they were ready to put the curriculum on the market.)

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
4:25 PM delete

Wow, a real paycheck. Caleb's almost two, so I think he should really start earning his keep. ;-)

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
8:16 PM delete

That is so cool. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
10:20 PM delete

Your Mr. Hudson is now a hot model:)

Sounds like such a fun day...and a proud moment for mama!

Reply
avatar
Rachelle
AUTHOR
6:26 AM delete

Looks like it's time to start that college bank account!

My dad bought some stock in my daughters' names when they were born. So they've been getting dividend checks their whole lives!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
7:10 AM delete

That's so cool!

Reply
avatar
Susie
AUTHOR
8:35 AM delete

I love this story! How neat. :)

Reply
avatar
9:21 AM delete

Can't wait to see pictures of this!

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
6:30 AM delete

haha, that's awesome Jen! My mom used to work for Group too and in middle school I was once dressed up as a sumo wrestler to teach youth pastors new games. I only got $10 though, Hudson must take a better photograph. :)

Reply
avatar