Ahhh, True Love!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11 Comments A+ a-

I have to admit, when I found out that we were having a boy this time around, my heart sank a little. I grew up with three sisters who have turned into my best friends, confidants, and supporters. I so wanted Devyn to experience the beauty and bond of sisterhood.

However, with that said, I am constantly amazed and surprised at the beauty of Devyn and Hudson’s relationship. Their relationship is growing, changing, and flourishing on a daily basis and I find myself a little envious that I did not get to experience the bond of brother and sister. Devyn has grown quite attached to her little brother and vice versa. I love sitting back and watching the two interact.

Yesterday, my sister, Courtney, relayed a cute story. Devyn was on the couch watching TV and Courtney was doing her best to quiet a fussy Hudson. She said that nothing seemed to be working and finally Devyn looked at her with an exasperated look on her face and gave a sigh. Devyn then patted the couch next to her, indicating that she wanted Hudson by her side. So Courtney walked over, laid Hudson on the couch next to Devyn, and watched as Devyn quieted her little brother down. She caressed his cheeks, “talked” to him in a soothing voice, and he responded in kind. He knows his sister’s voice and adores her!!

Then last night I had both kiddos with me as I tried to put everyone to bed. Because Hudson was wide awake, I laid him between Devyn and I as we read our bedtime story. Devyn held his hand as I turned the pages and both listened very well. We said our prayers and then Devyn asked for a special prayer for “baby”. So, I prayed again over Hudson. Then as I rose to get up from Devyn’s bed, she cried as I picked Hudson up. She wanted desperately for Hudson to sleep in bed with her. I smiled as I explained that he was too little right now, but someday they could sleep together in bed. She nodded at my explanation and turned to go to sleep.

I love this! I was not prepared for the joy I’d feel in watching their relationship unfold. This relationship has nothing to do with Jon or I, it is solely between the two of them and it is beautiful. Devyn is constantly trying to protect Hudson and make sure he is ok; and Hudson is enthralled with her. His eyes follow her around the room, his face lights up when she comes near, and he calms down at her touch.

I know the day will come when I’ll be separating fights and soothing hurt feelings, but at this moment in time, with the relationship just budding, I am truly blessed!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
dareth
AUTHOR
9:38 AM delete

Beautiful!

Don't tell Uncle Kevin, but I have been thinking lately that baby girl needs a sister... and a brother... and then the brother will need a brother too). :o) Oh, no!

Can't wait to see you guys tonight!!

Reply
avatar
10:30 AM delete

That is so precious! It looks like Devyn takes good care of her little brother!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:45 PM delete

Isn't it great to see that sibling relationship emerge. Emma has become so protective and motherly towards Chloe, I often have to remind her just who the momma is! It's great though, she's so helpful, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:24 PM delete

I have to second the beauty in a brother/sister relationship! Maddy's certainly got her share!

And I only have a sis, so I didn't know what it was like to have a brother either. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, just like you!

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
8:04 PM delete

I can't wait for that special relationship between my two kids! Too cute!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
7:55 AM delete

Yes, it is wonderful! But then it's tough when they are so close in age that they fight! I am going through that right now with my 4 and 2 year old but enjoying the moments of the 2 year old loving on the 4mnth old!They all adore one another.

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

This is so special. I will be excited to see how Brooklyn interacts with a brother or sister. Thanks for sharing this story!

Reply
avatar
HappyMama
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Rachel
AUTHOR
3:22 PM delete

Oh, how sweet! I had a girl first, and then a boy, too. They are almost five and three years old now, and they are still great friends who play so well together, along with their baby brother. I am sure your kids will have their moments of fighting and sibling rivalry (they all do, of course), but I dare say they will stay close. Sometimes, you just have to encourage it more than others. :)

~~Rachel
www.nothinggold.net

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
3:37 PM delete

My 4-year old takes care of my 1-year old, too. When my 1-year old bumps his head, my 4-year old goes over to kiss it away.

Of course, most of the time, the bumped was caused by my 4-year old.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
10:11 PM delete

This is too sweet! What a nurturer your little girl is!

Reply
avatar