We have a hole!

Friday, April 20, 2007 14 Comments A+ a-

This post may seem completely materialistic and shallow but Jon and I have worked so hard for this moment (for those that want the back story, you can click here and here) and we just have to share our joy on the progression of our very first house. First some pictures!

The "Sold" sign sitting in front of our house site.The great mound of dirt, just waiting to be moved.Just before they started digging our foundation.We have a hole!
It's official, over two months after we signed on the dotted line of our contract, our builder is finally starting the construction of our house! Words cannot explain the elation Jon and I feel as we visit the site of our first house, on an almost daily basis. (Corny, but true!) We've been watching way too much HGTV and coming up with so many ideas and hopes for our first home as a family of four. Quite frankly, we're just anxious to be in our own place again. We love my parents and are enternally thankful that they opened their home to us, but we're so ready to create a home of our own.

So, what have we been up to since signing that contract?! Well, the builder has been getting the appropriate licenses, permits, etc. And Jon and I (besides having a baby) have been making the all-important decisions when building a house from the ground up. We have chosen our house colors; we've gone with a tan base, a cream trim, and aubergine (a deep plum color) accents. We've chosen our brick, the color of our interior, and the stain we want on our floor boards and inside trim. We made choices concerning the color of our appliances and the style of our cupboards. Then we were sent to a design center where we got to choose everything from our carpet to our linoleum to our tile. We got to choose the backsplash in the kitchen; the tile around our fireplace; and the countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms.

All in all, its felt like a dream and we often pinch ourselves to make sure that this is really happening! We made so many poor financial decisions in the early years of our marriage and we paid some hefty prices to get to this place. But once we saw them dig the foundation and start pouring the concrete, we realized how far we've come! Here is a picture of our family in front of our house site; I can't wait to see the "after" picture.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

14 comments

Write comments
Paula
AUTHOR
11:05 AM delete

Yiipy! That is fantastic news. Your first home to move into with your little family. That is wonderful. I know you must beside your self. You have every reason to be excited. That is not shallow at all!!! God finds joy in our joys. This a a joy you worked hard for. No shame in that!!

You'll have to find one of those over the door sayings,
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Oh, as they are building your home and the walls go up, I have heard of families going throughout the house and writing scripture in each room on the walls before they paint. I think that is a cool idea.

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
11:14 AM delete

just wait til move in day, you won't be able to stop smiling! We know your joy, it sure it sweet isn't it! We're SO happy for and proud of you guys. Keep up the good stewardship and enjoy this fruit of your labor.
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
12:11 PM delete

Not materialistic at all...homes are a necessity! This is so exciting, Jenn! I'm still excited about our "new" home, and we've been here almost a year! I bet it was so fun to choose everything. I'm looking forward to hearing about your first days in the house! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
1:15 PM delete

I have to giggle at the picture of your family in front of your dirt pile! he he he...What an exciting and also stressful time for you all! By your descriptions, it sounds like it's going to be the perfect house for you all! Can't wait to see pictures! Oh, and I would be going and driving by every day too... :)

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
4:19 PM delete

That's awesome Jenn! We still walk outside at night to view our home and talk about how proud and thankful we are to be blessed with it!

That won't go away!

Congrats!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:29 PM delete

I was thinking the same thing, that's not materialistic.

I'm so happy for you.How exciting to be looking at the beginning of the place you will be building lots of memories in!

I look forward to seeing the after pictures too.

I like what Paula said about writing scripture throughout the house. I've had friends do that too.

Reply
avatar
5:28 PM delete

How exciting! I bet you are looking forward to being in your own home. I'm sure it will be great...although the big pile of dirt kinda makes it hard to imagine..just joking! ;) Congrats!

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
7:12 PM delete

So excited for you guys! We are so proud of how hard you and Jon have worked to get here. You should be excited!!

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks:)

Reply
avatar
Hanna Haire
AUTHOR
7:14 PM delete

Hey Jen...
Congrats on all the changes. I certainly know the excitement of building a new house. I did want to make a suggestion if there is even anything you can do about it. When you go to the design center, try to get another kind of paint other than flat!!! Satin or eggshell or something. Ask them to do the whole house in the same kind they do the bathrooms and kitchen in. With kids and I know you like to clean about as much as I do, flat paint is really yucky. Shows everything and you can't wash it off or even paint over it. It just leaks through. Well, that is my speech. good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Hanna

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
11:47 PM delete

Oh, Jenn, I don't think this post is at all materialistic or shallow! I think it's exciting that your house building has begun! Hooray for you! I can't wait to see pictures when it's complete. :)

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
10:02 AM delete

YAY for your house!! I can't wait to see the progress pictures! :)

Reply
avatar
11:41 PM delete

You must feel so good!
I love the before photo! Can't wait for the after photo!

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
10:27 PM delete

Congratulations! It is so fun to build a house.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
7:26 AM delete

Oh, I'm so excited for you! Thank you for sharing the pictures and all your progress - we will continue to pray that all goes well!

Reply
avatar