Spiritual Gifts

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7 Comments A+ a-

I'm a firm believer that God gives all of His children different strengths and weaknesses; that's how we make up the body of Christ. For example, my friend Kamma's mother was an incredible intercessor. I know that God spoke to her in ways that He does not speak to me. Judy knew things about my life that I never told her and while it was a little intimidating, I also know that she often went to battle for me in prayer. Another example is Jon's spiritual gift of service. If someone needs something done, he's there in a heartbeat. If a car slipped into a ditch, we're late to wherever we're going because Jon stopped to help. I think it's a beautiful gift.

When I got pregnant with Devyn, I had an enlightening conversation with Kamma's sister-in-law, Keri. When Keri was pregnant with her daughter, Molly, she started praying that God would bestow particular strengths and/or spiritual gift on Molly. If I remember correctly, I believe Keri prayed for the gift of compassion and it is so evident that Molly was given that gift. It made me start thinking about the gifts and strengths I would like my children to have. Now, don't get me wrong, I know that if God doesn't intend for Devyn or Hudson to have these gifts, they won't get them. But I see nothing wrong in going to God and asking for them. While pregnant with both Devyn and Hudson, I have prayed for the gifts of Compassion and Grace.

Compassion (n) - sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it.
Grace (n) - merciful, compassion shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power.

I realize they go hand-in-hand but those traits are so important to me and they're two traits that I find particularly lacking in today's society. I feel these were some of the greatest of Jesus' traits too, offering compassion and grace where others least expected it or allowed it. I pray that Devyn and Hudson will offer compassion to classmates and friends; offering a listening ear, praying over a hard situation, or just being a friend to those that need it. As far as grace goes, I pray that my children will always remember that they were given grace by God, though it was not deserved, and apply that concept in their own lives.

While I have prayed for those two gifts for each Devyn and Hudson, I have also prayed for one special gift for each of them.

In Devyn, I prayed for the gift of Humility. Humility (n) - the quality or state of being humble; not proud or haughty, not arrogant. As I look over these gifts I've prayed for Devyn's life, I find that they all seem synonymous with being a servant. My sincere desire is that Devyn will live her life to serve God, in whatever capacity He calls her to do that.

And lastly, I prayed that Hudson would be given the gift of Discernment. Discernment (n) - an act of discerning; revealing insight and understanding. My greatest hope in asking for this gift in Hudson's life, is that Hudson would easily be able to discern between good and evil; that he would not be led astray off the path God has chosen for him.

It is way too early to know whether or not these gifts have been bestowed on Devyn or Hudson; I imagine I won't be able to tell for a few more years yet. But I'm excited to see if my prayers were answered. And in the mean time, I pray that God will give me the wisdom and patience to help my children mold these gifts, or others that He’s given them, to be used in God’s kingdom and as part of the body of Christ.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
9:58 AM delete

Thank you so much for sharing this. You have such wonderful ways of loving your children and this is one. YOu have encouraged me once again! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
12:21 PM delete

I too have been greatly encouraged by this post.

I have to addmit that I've never thought about the spiritual gifts God has given to my children. My husbands and mine, of course...but the realization that it is most definitely not to early to be praying about and molding those gifts in my children is an eye opener! Thank you for sharing!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
1:03 PM delete

What are your spiritual gifts??

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
7:15 PM delete

I too haven't given much thought to what my girl's spiritual gifts are. Any particular reason you chose to pray for those particular gifts to appear in your children? My top three are discernment, teaching, and shepherding, based on a test I took. I suppose I pray, first and foremost, that my children will accept the Lord as their personal Savior, I think sometimes we forget that that's not a given, even though it makes me ill to think anything different. You've inspired me to pray specifically for the development and maturity of their God-chosen spiritual gifts, thanks my friend!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
9:20 AM delete

Great topic! I agree, you never hurts to pray for spiritual gifts for our children.. I do for sure. They are young and need our prayers.

I reccomend reading The Power of a
Praying Paerent by Stormie Omartian. She talks about prayers for our children that I never thought of.

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:50 PM delete

How beautiful, Jenn! I'm so proud of you!
These are wonderful gifts to ask for, and God will be gracious in giving your little ones what you ask and more.

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
9:38 AM delete

What a beautiful thing! Prayer is the most precious and powerful gift we can give. I think it is awesome that you are so thoughtful and personal in your prayers for your children.

Reply
avatar