She was missed!

Monday, April 23, 2007 6 Comments A+ a-

When Amy told me that her husband had taken their two-year-old to visit family shortly after the birth of their second son, I thought, “That’s such a great idea. It’s giving her time to bond with the new baby and giving some great one-on-one time between father and the firstborn.” As I told Jon about it, I couldn’t keep the wistfulness out of my voice. I remember telling Jon that it would be wonderful to have some one-on-one time with Hudson. Jon’s face brightened and he excitedly said, “Devyn and I could go visit my mom.” And with that, plans started being made.

As time came nearer for their four-day trip, I found myself incredibly torn. On one hand, I was looking forward to the time alone with Hudson. I wanted so much to be able to just sit for hours, memorizing Hudson’s facial features and expressions, but it was hard to do with a 2-year-old wanting attention. I was ready for this time with him. But on the other hand, I found myself doubting whether this was a good idea or not. Devyn and I have never been away from each other for that long and I worried she wouldn’t be able to handle it because she had turned into such a mama’s girl lately. I even tried convincing Jon a couple of times that they didn’t need to take the trip after all, but Jon would hear none of it; he was really looking forward to this trip.

They left bright and early on Friday morning, around 2:30am to make their 5:30 flight to North Carolina. I woke a little after six to a text message from Jon saying that they had made it on the plane and that they loved us. I felt a fist grab my heart and squeeze, my love for them was that palpable. I laughed, they’d only been gone a couple of hours and already I missed them.

It’s now Monday and in three hours, they’re getting on a plane to come home and I couldn’t be happier. During the time they were gone, I realized what an integral part Devyn plays in our family. She brings an energy and personality that cannot be replicated. I have missed her “Happy Feet” dancing, the patter of her feet on the hardwood floors, her sing-song voice, and numerous sayings that are strictly hers. I missed her singing, where she takes the words she knows and adds notes and rhythm to them. “Nana, Mama, Baby, Me, You, Dada, Papa” can be strung into a song lasting for ten minutes. I miss hearing her say, “Mama, where are you?” I missed hearing her count, “two, three, two”. Yes, I even missed her tantrums.

Devyn is such a special little girl; she is so shy in new surroundings but so independent and confident at the same time. According to Jon, she had a fantastic time, and while she did ask for “mama” and “baby”, there were few tears and as many tantrums. Jon was able to send me both pictures and videos from his cell phone so I could see for myself what a great time she was having. Hudson and I had a special time too, more on that later, but I am so ready for my baby girl to come home!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
1:42 PM delete

We need those times to refresh our mommy-ness for each of our kids and our hubbies need those times alone with them as well. What a wonderful time for you and Hudson and so glad your other loves are back today!

Reply
avatar
2:58 PM delete

How special! I hope you had a great time with Hudson! I've never been away from Cosette for that long either. I imagine it would be lonely here without her!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
5:09 PM delete

It's great the Hudson could have some alone time with you! And, Devyn alone time with Daddy! Can't wait to hear more about your alone time with Hudson!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
11:33 PM delete

Oh, I understand how you feel...I miss my Snuggle Bug whenever we're apart. :)

I love the pictures you've shared!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
7:31 AM delete

What a gift - time alone with Hudson! It really refreshes you and prepares you to receive the others back into your life again. Hug her tight! And have fun cooking! :)

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
4:38 PM delete

I think it is so great to feel that piece missing every now and then to remind us that they make life so full! I bet you were really looking forward to that feeling of the FOUR of you being back together! love, Amy

Reply
avatar