Over the river...

Sunday, April 29, 2007 8 Comments A+ a-

We just returned from a weekend in the mountains at Jon’s grandparents’ cabin. It was just what the doctor ordered for this family of four; a relaxing, restorative weekend with no running water, no indoor plumbing, surrounded by mountains and trees. As much as I love my family, it was wonderful to spend the weekend alone.

Jon’s grandparents bought the cabin when Jon was in third grade and is used by every branch on the family tree for family getaways, youth group activities, and Christmas tree hunting. We just love the one-bedroom cabin and are so thankful to grab it for the occasional weekend when we can. It conjures a feeling of simpler living and nurtures our love for the outdoors.

Devyn’s pleas of “Play, Mama, play” led to many walks and hikes; stopping to explore fallen trees, ant hills, and counting pine cones. There were numerous hand washings as Devyn played in the dirt, until I could no longer scrub the dirt from under her fingers. We enjoyed a family walk at dusk, as Hudson was zipped into my fleece jacket as protection against the chilly night air. The whole weekend was rejuvenating!

One of my favorite memories of the weekend was watching Devyn climb to the top of a rock all by herself. Two different feelings warred against themselves as this mother watched her daughter take daring step after daring step. One was crying out for her to be careful and to get back on the ground where it was safe. The other was silently encouraging her on, wanting her to be as adventurous as possible. Both sides remained silent as she made her way to the top; and despite my desperate desire for her to be back on the ground, I managed to take a few shots of her accomplishment.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Jennisa
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

Great that you can take such a relaxing time out from life. I love the photo of Hudson and you!

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
6:25 AM delete

I agree, the picture of you and Hudson is especially precious! This entry made me miss my mountains!!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
7:31 AM delete

Sounds like a fun weekend! Great pictures!

We did something similar (see blog).

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
7:43 AM delete

How beautiful! We're looking for a cabin in our neck of the woods to spend a quiet weekend in over Memorial Day weekend. Of course, things are pretty much booked up already, so who knows what we'll find!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
11:17 AM delete

I was just telling Travis on our way back from the springs how I'm LONGING for the mountains. I think a twosome backpacking trip is in order for our anniversary, and LOTS of family camping adventures this summer. Please let us know when we can do a camping trip with you guys!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
2:55 PM delete

Arn't the mountains the most peaceful place to go. Good for you to get away and go "exploring"!

We are definitely in need of one of those family outings!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:09 PM delete

How wonderful! I'm so thankful you had this time together - and only a teensy bit jealous. :)

Reply
avatar
9:18 PM delete

Looks like a beautiful time outdoors. And how brave of you to let Devyn climb the rocks :)

Reply
avatar