Growing Into Us

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 17 Comments A+ a-

When Jon and I married almost five years ago, it was the start of coupledom. We enjoyed being able to go camping at the spur of the moment; we had very few responsibilities; and there was the pure luxury of sleeping in on weekends. We were a team; known as the newlyweds and ready for spontaneous adventure.

In 2004, Devyn Paige was born and suddenly our team had a new player. We were still able to do many of the things we enjoyed without a second thought or much planning. (4-Wheeling, anyone?!) Some extra diapers, some snacks for the road, and we were good to go. We enjoyed our little unit of three, but it still felt as though not much had changed.

Enter 2007 and the arrival of Hudson Jonathan; it suddenly felt like our world had turned upside down. We endured five weeks of transition with gritted teeth, a strong will to survive, and bated breath. Our perfect balance had been rocked. Suddenly, our two-year-old disliked us intensely for bringing home a second child and ultimately, rocking her world. We endured screaming matches, tantrums, and disrupted sleep routines. We enjoyed watching her love on the new baby, but hated being the brunt of her insecurity, frustration, and fears. Somehow, even in the midst of midnight feedings and adjusting to a newborn again, we survived and have settled into a nice routine again.

About two weeks ago it hit me; we had turned into a family. Granted, we've always been a family, but for the first time in our marriage I realized that we... were... an... actual... family. We’re now responsible for two young lives! When did this happen?! It's hard to explain, but now our team feels complete, cohesive. I love our evenings where either Jon or I is holding the newborn, while the other wrestles with Devyn. I love that we tag-team the children before we head out to run errands or go out to eat. I enjoy being stopped in a store to be told that I "have beautiful children". And I love that the word "children" now applies in my life. It is a heart-stopping, smile-sharing moment, when Jon and I exchange a look over the kiddos' heads and realize how far we've come since coupledom.


Foot Note: No, we do not drive around (4-wheeling or otherwise) with our children buckled in the seats like the Jeep picture. We just did that for the picture, with the Jeep safely parked in the driveway. =)

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

17 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
10:55 AM delete

This is such a sweet post. I remember feeling that way when we had #2.

I LOVE that family picture, especially in black and white. You should really get that blown up and framed. Very sweet!

Hudson is SOOO photogenic in that 2nd picture. What a handsome little man he is.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
12:26 PM delete

Great post! I adore the picture of Devyn on a 4 wheeler!! Too funny! It's one of those pictures that makes you look twice! "Baby in a seatbelt? Oh....right. Cute!"

OKay, and that photo of your FAMILY is beautiful! Just beautiful! I agree with Wendy - get that puppy framed!!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
12:33 PM delete

yep. i turn around and see three kids and feel shocked daily!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
2:16 PM delete

Great family picture.

It is wierd to hink about being just a "couple" to a "family". I wouldn't trade it for the world, however it is nothing like just a couple going at their own pace and being spontaneous. Or sleeping til noon. Ooh, that would be the biggy.

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:38 PM delete

dito! It's amazing how going from one child to two really does make you feel like a perfect "family unit", just the right size. But now by saying you're "complete", I'm guessing that doesn't mean you're done having children?! Can't wait to chat tomorrw!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
4:17 PM delete

Very comforting to know that I wasn't alone in those same feelings after the second. It took the same amount of time for me to feel "happy" again.

Your "children" are beautiful, and so is your whole family! God is good!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
4:22 PM delete

I love kid-dom so much more than even couple-dom, don't you?
This was a great post - a wonderful reminder of the blessings we have!
Love the family picture! :)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:06 PM delete

OH MY!!!! We finally were able to see the blog after several weeks of no internet access...and again OH MY!!!
Hudson is so very HANDSOME!! The eyes are just to awesomme.
Of course, sweet Devyn just keeps getting more precious.
Your family is just such a blessing.
Hugs and Kisses to all
Colleen and Family

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
12:09 AM delete

When did that little guy get so big??

He is beautiful.

I can't wait to get my hands on him!!

Reply
avatar
12:58 PM delete

Loved this post. I know just how you feel. I had the same feelings soon after Eli was born. The family picture is beautiful!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
4:45 PM delete

I can hear the peace in your "voice"! Remember all of our fears before these little guys were born? And now our hearts are forever changed...how wonderful! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
dana
AUTHOR
5:44 PM delete

haha i like your disclaimer... no worries, no one in their right mind should think twice about you not protecting your babies. love the pictures, keep them coming!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
7:08 PM delete

Oh my gosh Jenn! Hudson looks identical to your baby pictures. I had to look twice. I guess God granted your wish. I've said it before and I'll say it again -your family is SO beautiful! Love you!

Reply
avatar
7:20 PM delete

It is a beautiful feeling when you realise that you are a family.
Hudson id GORGEOUS!!!!!!
I too love your family picture!

Reply
avatar
Kati
AUTHOR
11:43 PM delete

I came across your blog through some of the others I cruise daily, and just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading all about your precious family!

We're expecting number 2 in July, and can't wait to "be a family" ourselves!!!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
1:09 PM delete

What a great post. Thanks for summing it up how it feels to grow as a family. So glad to hear that life is settling down for you guys. The transition to 2 (or more) kids is not easy but it is worth it!

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
10:31 PM delete

Jenn,

What a great post. Sometimes I worry about adding to the balance we have as a 3 person unit, but your post makes me excited for it.

Jenn

Reply
avatar