God is Good!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8 Comments A+ a-

Yesterday afternoon, I bundled the three of us, Devyn, Hudson, and myself, into Devyn’s bed for a story and a nap. We made it through the story just fine; neither cried, got fussy, or upset. Then after we said our prayers and settled under the covers to fall asleep, Hudson decided to fuss and cry. I waited and watched as Devyn cuddled closer to Hudson, laid her forehead against his, and started soothing him to sleep by caressing his cheek with her hand. It’s not the first time this has happened, Devyn has calmed her brother to sleep on a number of occasions. It’s as though there’s a special connection between brother and sister that I cannot see. Every time it happens, I am both amazed at her tenderness and saddened as she seems so much older than her two years of age.

Once both children feel asleep and before I picked up Hudson to lay him in his bassinet, I sat up and watched my sleeping babies. I watched the soft cadence of their breathing, the rise and fall of their chests; I watched Devyn sigh in her sleep; I watched as Hudson pursed his lips and then smiled. An overwhelming ache filled my heart, the kind of ache that only another mother can understand. That ache where your heart is overflowing; you wonder if it’s possible, or healthy, to love this much; and knowing, without a doubt, you would do anything to protect them.

I memorized each child’s facial features; the shadow created by their eyelashes under their eyes; their cheeks rosy from sleep. I caressed Devyn’s honey-blond hair and smoothed a flyaway tendril from her cheek. I leaned forward and pressed my lips against Hudson’s, savoring the smell of his baby breath. In those moments, I wanted time to stand still and let them remain this small and innocent for all eternity.

Too often, I’m bustling from one mommy emergency to another. I’m either kissing a skinned knee or consoling a hurt feeling; I’m either disciplining or feeding my newborn; I’m either fixing lunch or cleaning the kitchen. Regardless of what I’m doing, I find that moments like the above are few and far between; that is why I treasure them when they do happen. As I tucked Hudson into the crook of my arm and rearranged the blankets around Devyn; I found myself thanking God for these blessings He’s given me and vowing to do my best by them. God is so good!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
7:16 PM delete

Wonderful, Jenn! I am also amazed at the bond between Parker and Griffin already. Parker cries when I take Griffin somewhere that he can't go...it is so cute! Parker has never been able to get Griffin to sleep, but he is able to get him to smile and even laugh:)

Such great reflections, Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
8:02 PM delete

What a sweet story. I totally understand about the loving til it hurts. Often Chris and I want to wake up Colton at night just so we can hug and kiss him. The love is more than can be explained. I often feel like it is just a glipse into the love our HEAVENLY FATHER has for us.

I think that is one of the most priceless pictures ever. What is also neat is that you had a sister bond. Now you get to see a brother/sister bond.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
8:34 PM delete

So sweet, I love that picture!

It is so good to stop and reflect on these things and thank God for such gifts! He is good!

Reply
avatar
9:15 PM delete

What a beautiful post! A reminder to take time to stop and truly enjoy the important moments!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
12:13 PM delete

Ah yes - I love those moments myself. THey are so precious and you just want time to stand still.

Reply
avatar
Beverly
AUTHOR
12:56 PM delete

I came to your blog from Jaime's place. What a beautiful story, it brought tears to my eyes. The picture is so sweet, something to cherish forever.

Reply
avatar
Judi
AUTHOR
9:06 PM delete

How sweet. I see these things with my two often. I am so glad I am home with them to savor the moments!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:20 PM delete

Hold on to these moments! Tuck them away, they are treasures! They come back at times we are just too exhausted to even remember there was ever peace in our home.
God is so good, yes, friend!

Reply
avatar