Such a Girl

Monday, March 19, 2007 7 Comments A+ a-

Jon and I are of the mindset that each of our children are individuals, and as such, will have different hobbies, interests, and extracurricular activities. We feel our job as parents is to encourage and support them in their endeavors. Obviously, until Devyn or Hudson can start expressing their interests to us, we’re doing our best to introduce them to different things. For instance, Devyn took swimming lessons in the fall and she’ll take them again this summer. Next fall, we’re planning dance lessons; we’re taking her skiing in the winter; and in the spring of 2008, we’ll introduce her to soccer. The list goes on and on… (Hudson is only four weeks old; therefore, we have no plans at this point.) At some point, we know Devyn will come to us and let us know what hobbies or interests she wants to continue pursuing.

In the meantime, it has been an absolute joy watching Devyn’s personality develop and change. (And I look forward to getting to know Hudson as intimately.) As well-intentioned as we are to expose our children to everything, I can’t help but think that the environment our children grow up in will play a part in how they turn out. Devyn is turning into such a girly-girl and I wonder, is that truly Devyn? Or does growing up around me and my three sisters play a part in it? Regardless, I love it and I’m getting such a kick watching it unfold. I especially LOVE the following two stories…

My sister, Courtney, started painting Devyn’s fingernails and toes a LONG time ago, much earlier than I preferred actually. In fact, I asked Courtney to keep the painting to Devyn’s toes, until recently.

Now Devyn and her aunt Courtney have a special date once a week. Devyn will hold out her hand to Aunt Courtney and point at her fingers. Aunt Courtney will laugh and tell her to go get the polish and Devyn runs into Aunt Courtney’s room, opens the correct drawer, and grabs the pink nail polish. Devyn then runs to Aunt Courtney and the two will spend the next 20 minutes painting Devyn’s nails. Once they’re done, the two will blow on Devyn’s nails and wave her hands in the air until they’re dry. I’m quite certain there is nothing more precious than watching a 2-year-old run up to Daddy to show off her pretty, pink nails.

And then early last week, Jon and I took the kiddos to Old Navy to shop for Devyn’s spring and summer wardrobe. [Side Note: Does anyone else have a problem with some of the clothes available for little girls? Since when do we want to dress our babies in mini-skirts and daisy dukes?! Ok, rant over.] Devyn and I were in the little girl section and Devyn had gotten out of the stroller and was wandering the clothes with me. After a while, she grabbed a shirt off the rack, ran up to me, and said, “Soooo cute!” She then proceeded to place the shirt in the stroller and did it again with a pair of pants. At one point, she switched from “Soooo cute!” to “Pretty!” On and on it went, as Devyn wandered from one rack to another. Needless to say, I was getting such a joy out of watching her that I neglected to realize how many things I needed to put back on the racks until Devyn had accumulated quite a pile.

The above photo was taken yesterday after church. She wore one of her new dresses, her favorite if the dancing and twirling are any indication. I’m loving my girly-girl…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
2:41 PM delete

Oooohhh, so cute! I love that she is a girly-girl. I hope that my boys can find a girly-girl type when they're much, much older:) I love the stories and I especially love the "so cute" expressions!

Oh, and you know how I feel about kid's clothes...I've had many a rant!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
3:15 PM delete

Oh, I love her having a day with her aunt to paint her nails. That is precious. It will be special memories she'll have forever!!
If i have a girl...I hope she is girly-girl.

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
3:49 PM delete

Too cute! I really hope Ava turns out to be a girly girl. It sounds like y'all are having a blast. She is at such a cute age. Enjoy! By the way...I am impressed that you found the time to go shopping with a newborn!

Reply
avatar
Jennisa
AUTHOR
4:16 PM delete

My Avery is also very girly. I find it very fun! She thinks she is a beautiful girl, which I think is WONDERFUL for her self esteem! Cherish these times...I have a feeling when they are in High School we will wish they were back in our living room twirling around...sigh...

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
4:19 PM delete

How precious she is! If we have a girl, I won't know what to do with her. There's so many "pieces" to a little girl's wardrobe that little boys don't have (bows, tights, patent-leather shoes, etc.). :-)

(Oh, and Everyday Mommy has the "Moms for Modesty" campaign because of this very issue with little girls clothing)

Reply
avatar
dareth
AUTHOR
11:38 PM delete

Super cute!
Funny, I almost bought that same outfit this afternoon :)
Well, my girl is, at this time, not a girly-girl. Each time I tried cute sandals or tennies on her, she kept going back to the same pair of boy shoes and pointing at her feet. She also continually kept pulling the boy underwear off the shelf and carrying them around the store.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
12:48 PM delete

Moriah got an outfit just like that from her Nana. So cute! She is quite the girly-girl too. I was amazed at how soon that started coming out, especially since she has two brothers! But I love it. I love holding dolls with her and having tea. Well, even my boys are fond of tea time...

Reply
avatar