Birthday and So Much More

Saturday, March 24, 2007 10 Comments A+ a-

Monday is my husband’s birthday; it’ll be the tenth birthday that we’ve celebrated together. We don’t have any big plans, just dinner out, but it’ll be the first date we’ve had since Hudson’s birth. I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to a night out without the kiddos.

I’m also reminded of a very special birthday that we celebrated six years ago; the day he asked for my hand in marriage, the same day I agreed to be his forever.

In the weeks leading up to his birthday, Jon made such a big deal that his birthday was coming up and because it was “his” day, we had to do whatever it was he wanted. I remember groaning inwardly because I knew that whatever the plans, they would somehow include fishing. And quite frankly, the thought of fishing in the middle of winter rarely enthralls me. Looking back, that should have been my first clue that something was amiss; Jon is rarely that adamant about plans on his birthday.

His birthday arrived and like I’d assumed, the original plan was to go fishing and then spend the rest of the day in the local mountain town, window shopping, grabbing a bite to eat, and then maybe take an old-fashioned picture. I thought nothing of the plans, they seemed relatively routine to me, even the old-fashioned picture. After all, we’d been getting those pictures taken since the very beginning of our relationship. However, I was saved, at the last minute, of having to go fishing when it started snowing.

Jon decided that before anything else, we were going to get the old-fashioned picture taken first. He parked the car and ran into the studio to make sure that it was open on a weekday, in the middle of winter. He came back out to get me and we went inside to decide on the costumes we were going to wear. When I suggested that we both be outlaws, he looked at me and asked if I’d rather wear a dress. When I reminded him that I’d always worn a dress in our other pictures, he shrugged and we changed into our clothes.

The photographer positioned us for the photo; with me on a chair and Jon standing behind me. She got behind the camera and started counting down to the upcoming flash. All of a sudden Jon interrupted her, “Wait… hold on a minute.” I looked over at him, trying to figure out what was wrong and noticed that Jon was on his knees and holding out a jewelry box. As I gaped at him, and as Jon asked me to be his wife, the photographer took the picture.




I was in shock; for months I knew that this moment was coming but I was so sure that Jon would not be able to surprise me. I’d even gone as far as to place a bet with several people; I was truly convinced it wasn’t happening for another month. I was in such shock that I’m not even sure what words Jon used; I only remember asking Jon “Is this for real?” When he nodded yes, I giddily said yes and he placed the ring we’d picked out together on my finger.

I love that Jon proposed on his birthday, it makes for a wonderful memory on an already special day. On Monday, we get to celebrate his 26th year of life, and the sixth anniversary of the day that we agreed to be husband and wife.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Jennisa
AUTHOR
4:44 PM delete

What a neat story, and what a neat proposal! Great photo, and even better memories! Happy birthday to your hubby, and happy engagement anniversary also!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
6:27 PM delete

That's sweet. Happy birthday Jon!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
9:18 PM delete

Jenn, this is fantastic! I love that you have a picture of the very moment of the proposal. Happy birthday, Jon!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
9:44 PM delete

What a great story and memory! Happy Birthday, Jon!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:58 PM delete

Good job, Jon! That was such a great way to propose - so memorable! And happy birthday, too!
What a sweet tribute to that time, Jenn! :)

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
7:02 AM delete

Okay, that is about the coolest engagement story ever! In particular because he was able to arrange a way for a picture to be taken of the exact moment! What a treasure those pictures must be!!

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
9:01 AM delete

I don't know if it is just the hormones, but that was such a good story. It brought me to tears of joy. You two are such a beautiful couple and have such a wonderful family. Hope to see you soon.

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
9:31 AM delete

i remember this!! happy birthday to jon and have a great date night! :)

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
8:39 PM delete

That is so neat!! Not only do you have the memory engraved in your heart and mind, but you have a picture of the moment he asked you!! He is a smart fellow!! Well, enjoy your night out. You deserve it!!

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
2:07 PM delete

I'm with everyone here, that is such a great story! Plus to have a picture. What a creative husband you have.

Jenn

Reply
avatar