Weekend Recap

Monday, February 05, 2007 16 Comments A+ a-

It is officially time to issue Hudson an eviction notice! Do you hear me, son? It’s time to vacate the uterus! We had a pretty laid-back weekend, most of which was spent trying to induce labor. We’ve tried everything from spicy food (it just gave me indigestion) to long walks in stores to raspberry tea; all to no avail. If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to forward them on. I’m willing to try ANYTHING, with the exception of castor oil. For some reason, that stuff just scares me a little. Regardless, I seem to be stuck at 4cm dilated and strong contractions, but no active labor in sight.

Saturday morning dawned bright and early. I headed out the door for a pedicure appointment (a Christmas gift from my parents), in the hopes that a good foot massage would help labor along. So, even though the pedicure didn’t help things in that area, it was wonderful to sit for an hour and feel pampered. Plus I have really pretty toes for the doctor and nurses to look at when I do eventually have this child.

Jon and Devyn then met me for lunch where Jon and I decided that we have the most adorable little girl in the world. We love her gregarious attitude; her ability to have an adult conversation with nonsical words; and her ability to love everything and everyone in sight. She is truly a precious gift! We then went to Target where we proceeded to walk around the store for two hours. We often take these little field trips to stores like Walmart, Target, Pier One, etc. and play our make-believe game of furnishing our house. It’s the next-best thing to actually being able to buy the items. We then went home and shared a family nap.

That afternoon, I met my sisters, Mom, aunt, cousin, and Grandma at the movie theater to see “Because I Said So” with Diane Keaton and Mandy Moore. Now bear in mind, we thought this was going to be a really cute movie about a mother and her three daughters; we were NOT prepared for the insane amounts of sexual innuendo in this movie. Quite frankly, the movie would have been A LOT better without any of the sexual-stuff. My poor, poor cousin; I just don’t think anything could have prepared her for the movie. The eight of us then chose a wonderful Mexican restaurant for dinner; where I gorged myself on hot salsa and green chili, again, in the hopes to start active labor. Nope!

And then yesterday was spent napping, playing with Devyn, or watching the Super Bowl game. It’s so much more fun to watch the Super Bowl game when there is no vested interest (i.e, our team wasn’t playing, therefore, it wasn’t stressful) and you can enjoy the game for what it is. I’ll confess to having a hard day yesterday with my attitude and the fact that my body was just refusing to go into labor. There were no meltdowns, just a definitive attitude with everyone. *Sigh* For those family and friends who had to put up with it yesterday, my sincere apologies. Today, while I’m still sad to not be in labor, I’m more resolved to let it go and hopefully that will reflect in my attitude with others.

Jon, as usual, was an incredible support to me this past weekend. He graciously watched Devyn during my pedicure and my date night with Mom and the sisters on Saturday; not one complaint out of him. (Secretly, I think he enjoyed the time alone with his daughter and I know that Devyn probably LOVED the special one-on-one time.) And then yesterday, he was the only one who was able to calm me. There’s something about leaning against the chest of the man I love, who loves me in return, that restores my sense of balance and “rightness” in the world.

Well, that was our weekend in a nutshell. Still no baby news to share but hopefully (Lord-willing) that will happen soon…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

16 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
12:50 PM delete

Sweets,
You are in our prayers! Hey, this worked for me and I think Terry as well. Denny for pancakes!! Got it all started.

We love and miss you guys so much.

Hang in there...ok?

Colleen

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:13 PM delete

You poor, poor thing! The only other thing you didn't mention that I know can speed things along is some good ol' fashion hanky panky! Not that you feel much like doing anything but, hey, it's worth a shot, right?

Good luck!

Reply
avatar
Munchkin Land
AUTHOR
1:21 PM delete

Out of respect of the fact that Jon's mom (and aunts) read this blog too; I refrained from mentioning the above. (wink, wink) Yeah, we've tried THAT too.

Reply
avatar
Milehimama
AUTHOR
2:12 PM delete

Castor oil does nothing. At least for me (well, there was that awful taste in my mouth).

A friend swears by squats, another by assuming the all-fours position (and scrubbing floors).

My advice? Buy non-refundable tickets to something - a concert, or a dinner theater. Can your husband schedule a business trip or some meetings he simply can't cancel - the chance of a lifetime meeting perhaps? Or maybe you could rent a dress or costume that would be simply ruined if your water broke...

Works every time, or so it seems!
Mama Says

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
3:06 PM delete

LOLLOLOLOLOLOL! I read your above comment about the hanky panky. I was getting ready to suggest the very same thing. Girl, I even swam in a pool for an hour. But to no avail. When he's ready to arrive, he'll arrive. Hang in there - it's almost over and you'll have that babe in your arms before you know it. Then you'll be like me - ABSOLUTELY EXHAUSTED AND INSANE. hehe

Hugs to you my friend.

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
4:26 PM delete

I can't believe you are at a 4 and the doctor won't keep you! WOW! You are a tough gal!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:41 PM delete

When I saw you on bloglines, I was hoping it was w/baby news. I know it is so hard to wait, especially toward the end, but it will happen in God's perfect timing!

Praying for you and your baby boy.

Reply
avatar
5:33 PM delete

Dear Jenn

My suggestion was going to be shopping and spicy food, but you have already tried that! More shopping LOL
I can't wait for the happy news!
Thinking of you
Jen

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
5:55 PM delete

Jenn, I will keep you in my prayers.
I tried all the above as well and it didn't work. So maybe lots of prayers!!
The waiting game has never been a gift of mine.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:02 PM delete

Keep walking and walking, I know it's hard in this weather, but just do what you're doing, he'll come when he's ready. Blessings to you and your family! Congratulations!

Wendy (Jill's cousin)

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
8:01 PM delete

Oh sugar - you are just a cutie-patootie! Even the way you are complaining is pretty cute! I mean, I cannot even picture you being the least bit snarky with your fam!

I am praying for labor to come as soon as that babe is cooked!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:29 PM delete

Oh, yes, we want him nice and strong, and every second he is in your body you are caring for him so well! I know it's hard, though.
Lord, cover Jenn with your peace. Soothe her aches, bring her rest, and bring this baby in your perfect timing in a smooth labor.
Love you, friend!

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
5:02 PM delete

I guess Hudson is waiting for the right moment. In the meantime, pamper yourself with more pedicures, manicures and any -cures you can think of.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
5:22 PM delete

you know on Friends when Rachel was ready for the baby to come out she and Ross started to get it on and out came Emma. ...and since life is JUST LIKE tv, I'm sure it will work. haha! Yall are in my thoughts! *hug*

Reply
avatar
9:37 PM delete

Waiting by the phone (in a manner of speaking!). I wonder who he will look like? So exciting (for those of us who do not have a little one sitting on our bladder and taking up our lung space). I won't say something insensitive like, "Oh, he's due ALREADY? Seems like we just found out you were expecting!" The nerve! He will be worth the wait!

Reply
avatar
Mamacita Tina
AUTHOR
5:58 AM delete

Here it is, Wednesday, and you haven't posted again. Could it be? Is he here? Hoping for you...

Reply
avatar