Update and Pictures

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 13 Comments A+ a-

Oh my, where to begin? First of all, my sincere apologies for being absent right now. We’re in the midst of trying to find a routine and balance, and quite frankly, I feel like we’re swimming upstream. Argh!!

Hudson is doing wonderfully!! I’m not sure how it happened but we were blessed with another easy baby. He’s eating every three hours and spends the rest of the time sleeping or just looking around, taking in his surroundings. He rarely cries and instead uses little grunts to let us know that he’s either hungry or wet; we’ve taken to calling him “squeaker” because of it. Breast-feeding is going very well; the engorgement stage has passed and we're on an excellent feeding schedule. We took him to the doctor yesterday and they confirmed that he has thrush, so is currently on antibiotics. Our poor, little man… He is growing like a weed, and already weighs over 8 pounds. *Sigh* I’m trying to stop time so I can savor these newborn moments.

Devyn seems to be adjusting as well as she can; she loves her baby brother and we constantly have to remind her to be “gentle” and/or “soft”. I’m really not sure how these babies survive their siblings, but by God’s grace, they do. While Devyn is in love with the new baby, she has decided that she hates me, however. We’ve had a couple of instances where she just screams at me for no apparent reason. Talk about feeling like mother-of-the-year! And our great bedtime routine?! She has yet to sleep through the night since we came home and our nerves are a bit frayed. Is this typical 2-year-old behavior? Is she trying to adjust to the changes? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jon returns to work on Monday, leaving me home with the two kids alone. Do I feel ready? No. Am I scared? YES. Baby blues has struck again, and while not as bad this time around, I’m still prone to anxiety, fears, and mood swings. One moment I’m reveling in my two beautiful children, feeling blessed beyond comprehension, and the next I’m in tears as I try to juggle very different needs. I also want to sit and study Hudson’s every facial expression, every breath, like I did when Devyn was a baby but I find that Devyn needs more quality time with me right now. So those bonding moments with Hudson have to wait until nap and bed time. I feel like Hudson is getting gypped but I’m sure as long as his tummy is full and his bottom is dry, he’ll survive. All in all, we’re doing okay, just trying to adjust to our changing world.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Susie
AUTHOR
12:14 PM delete

He is so precious and beautiful! I'm sure that eventually things will calm down (as much as they can in a family of four, I imagine!). I wish I had some suggestions for you, but I'm afraid I must admit I know next to nothing about babies or children, at least not yet. All I know is that love is the best thing for them, and I know without a doubt that Devyn and Hudson get plenty of that from you and your hubby! :)

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
12:23 PM delete

Yes, she is acting "typical" if there is such a thing. My Em was only 12 months old when she got a baby brother, so we didn't really go through the "attitude" until several months later.

By the way, while, I do miss your more active blogging self, I know why you're gone and so it's no big deal. I just think of you every once in a while and say a little prayer and, ofcourse, wish I could be closer to bring y'all a meal or something!!

Love ya!!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
12:29 PM delete

Jenn,

I'm just going to put up a link on my blog and say that I wrote this post today. I'm teasing...but I can relate to everything. Thank God we were blessed with easy babies! I thought the new baby would be the hard work--wrong! Parker has adjusted alright and seems to really love Griffin, but he has similar feelings of love/hate towards me! He has chosen to act up during nursing and hurt himself over and over...ugh. And he often whines and cries much of the day, which isn't normal. The last couple of days, I've just tried to introduce tons of structure to his day and this has seemed to help him a bunch. Hugs to you and I hope you know that your feelings are shared by me right now...my world is just spinning! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
3:04 PM delete

my mom wanted to make sure I read this post today since we'll be making this transition in a few months. Caleb will just turn two when the new baby arrives, and I'm sure we will go through something similar!

Hang in there and let us know what works!!

Reply
avatar
Mamacita Tina
AUTHOR
4:12 PM delete

Don't feel like Hudson is getting gypped, he has the benefit of a loving sister. Do what you can, and don't spread yourself too thin.

He is just too adorable!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
6:27 PM delete

Hudson is so beautiful. I am so glad that Devyn is loving him. I don't experience yet, but I am most sure she will come around. It is an adjustment for like both you and Jon. I will pray for your first week alone. I know you are doing a great job. Be proud of your self!!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
7:22 PM delete

I'm only parenting one child at the moment, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to give you any advice on how to handle the situation of what to do to get Devyn back to sleeping through the night. I suspect that she's just needing more TLC to help her adjust to the fact that she's no longer an only child. Hopefully you and Jon can find a balance between the attentions you give both children.

Hang in there. As you know...this too shall pass.

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:06 PM delete

Oh, is he ever gorgeous!
I know what you mean about the difference in the way you get to spend time with Hudson now as opposed to the time you spent with Devyn as a baby. With my third, at first I felt really upset about that, but then I started to notice how very, very sweet the bedtimes and nursings were! Now, they're the best memories ever.
Enjoy it all, friend! (((Jenn)))

Reply
avatar
Haley
AUTHOR
9:51 AM delete

Oh my goodness he is beautiful!!! Or wait I mean handsome and srapping! So anyways- sounds like Dev is just being two!! I kid around and ask people if they want a two year old becasue Kaydence has been such a "challenge" to say in the least lately. I always got annyoed or didnt care when people talked about "terrible twos".... but.... it's true!! I cant imagaine taking care of her attitude and a newborn! LOL... she still has lot of very sweet moments but the mean ones overcome those ones sometimes. "She has my attitude" everyone keeps jokingly teeling me... ha ha youre not funny I wanna say to them! Wanna trade? I'll take Hudson for a while and you can have two 2 year olds! ;) What do ya think?

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
11:40 AM delete

Hudson is just precious. I wish I had some advice for you, but you know I am just trying to figure out being a mom to baby #1. I hope things calm down and you get into a routine. I feel like we are just now getting there and Ava is almost 6 weeks old. Hang in there! We'll both make it through these days of no sleep and constant feeding, right???

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
5:46 PM delete

He's beautiful, Jenn. Remember: This too shall pass. Before you know it, he'll be in kindergarten.

You're in my prayers.
Much love

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
11:34 PM delete

Oh Jenn, I remember how overwhelming those first few days were when Kevin went back to work (and that was with only one child). It will work out. I know that you are a great mom with great intuition. Trust the Lord to guide you and give yourself much grace! You will do great and have 2 well adjusted kids, I am sure of it. Try to take a few minutes for yourself, it will help .

PS I can't wait to get there and love on those kiddos!!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
9:55 AM delete

Oh he is so precious!

And yes, Devyn is reacting totally normally - seems that some children react by being not so nice to the baby and the other ones are not so nice to the parents.

You will all adjust with time. I know it's hard to juggle both of them. I really remember that well with JD. His Daddy deployed to Japan, a new baby brother moved in, and he turned 2, so I did have a lot of trouble with his attitude (temper tantrums - ugh!) and waking at night (so he did often sleep with me - I know that's not good advice but it did help all of us get much needed sleep! - then once we were better adjusted to the new baby I worked on getting JD back to his own bed).

For me it was also the realization that I cannot be perfect and I cannot be there for every single need. That was hard for me. It was easier to keep up that notion with just one child but once they outnumbered me, I had to adjust my thinking to realizing that sometimes you just cannot do it all.

I don't know if I have any great suggestions but do try to get small individual time with Devyn and Hudson, though especially Devyn. And time for yourself, whenever you can, just to back away and regroup, even just a nice long shower now and then. I know that it is hard to find time for it all but the time does not have to be long, just little bits here and there.

You are in my prayers!

Reply
avatar