On Angel's Wings

Saturday, February 24, 2007 10 Comments A+ a-

It was the hardest funeral I’ve ever attended; the kind of funeral no one ever wants to attend, that of a 17-month-old baby. On Monday night, some mutual friends of ours were working on their ranch, feeding the cattle. Each parent thought the other had the baby boy, when the dad backed up his truck and ran over his son. Upon hearing the news on Tuesday, both Jon and I were reduced to tears as we thought of the horror they must be going through, and having a days-old son in our arms didn’t help matters. “What are God’s plans concerning this?” my husband wondered. I didn’t have an answer, sometimes God’s ways are not our ways, and we may never know what God’s plans are in taking baby Wyatt so young.

The funeral was yesterday; the church was packed, there was an open casket (call me cowardly but I couldn’t view him), and the receiving line went out the door. All in all, it was a beautiful ceremony. The pastors touched on every human emotion that the family and friends were experiencing; from anger to disbelief to sorrow and grief. The pastor tried answering the saddened statement of “it wasn’t supposed to be this way” the best he could, but again, God’s ways just aren’t our ways.

The ceremony ended with a letter that Wyatt might have penned to his parents from heaven; talking about how happy he was up there, playing with tractors and trying to rope angels. “It’s ok,” the letter said, “St. Peter said the angels don’t mind being roped.” The letter continued amidst the crying and soft laughter, describing the beauty of heaven and getting the opportunity to spend time with his best friend, Jesus. The letter then said, “Mom and Dad, please don’t think my guardian angel failed me that night. In truth, my angel carried me directly from this earth into Jesus’ arms.”

Wyatt Michael (September 17, 2005 – February 19, 2007): We may never understand why you were taken so young, but may you rest in peace and have a heck of a time roping those angels!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
3:11 PM delete

So sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine the pain and sadness they must be feeling. I am praying for them. It is so hard when things like this happen, yet I know God is good at all times and we don't see the big picture.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
8:01 PM delete

I don't believe I've ever left a comment before, but I frequent your blog frequently (I found you through Amy-Oh-My (a friend))... tears are running down my cheeks at the heartache. In the background the song lyrics were at the time I read your post "In Christ alone, I put my trust... my source of strength, my source of hope... is Christ alone." May God comfort that family and bless them with peace only He can give. They are in my prayers. In Him~ Julie

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
8:44 PM delete

I have had Danny and Leah and the rest of their family on my heart in my mind ever since I heard the news. My heart cries for them with throat-aching sobbs, I just can't fathom the kind of pain they are feeling! It has spun me to thoughts of all the freak and tragic things that could happen to my children, at any moment, and it makes me realize that I have to give them over to the Lord daily, recognizing that they are not mine, they are His, and He loves them more than I ever could. But does that knowledge make it any easier for the parent actually walking through death's valley? NO! Satan could really have a hay day with them, especially Danny and especially with their marriage. We need to continue to pray for them as the dust settles, this will never really be over for them. "Oh Lord, wrap them tightly in your arms and carry them as long as they need to be carried and protect them from the evil one during this vulnerable time, amen!"

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
9:07 PM delete

My heart breaks. I'll remember this family in my prayers. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through.

Much love
Mary

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
10:05 AM delete

I keep coming back here to post a comment but I can't get myself together enough...my heart just aches for this family. Wyatt's birthday is also Audrey's (my niece) birthday and this also reinforced the reality of the event. I'm praying for this couple...and for you, Jenn, that you can know what kind of friend the family needs right now. love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
8:58 AM delete

I am just heart-broken for this family. Is there anything we can do for them? My tears seem so useless...but I cannot stop them.

Please, please let them know how much all your friends here are praying for their family!!

Reply
avatar
Grandma Cathy
AUTHOR
8:43 PM delete

Oh, this hurts, I don't even know you or this family but my heart just hurts. I raised my children on a farm, and I was always wondering when they were out with their daddy if they were going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Now I have a 20 month old grandson, so close to this little boys age and I can't even imagine what this family must be going through. My prayers are with you and this family. I just happen to stumble upon your site tonight. Have a great time with your newborn he is precious.

Reply
avatar
April
AUTHOR
1:15 PM delete

Oh my. I have never left a comment here either. I am so sad for this family. This story does make you wonder God's will for them as they are left to ponder the question..."why?" My heart & prayers go out to them. I pray that God will reveal to them a glimpse of what his will is in order to ease any feelings of guilt. I also pray that God will use their family and friends as a source of comfort and support!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
3:08 PM delete

oh, my...how awful. This precious baby was only 2 DAYS older than my Caleb. I cannot imagine the pain they are feeling.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
7:19 PM delete

How very sad. My heart and prayers go out to this family!

Reply
avatar