Patience, Anyone?!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6 Comments A+ a-

I learned this little ditty as a child; don’t ask me who sings it, I simply can’t think back that far. I find myself singing it to our little Munchkin whenever I notice a meltdown on the way, or whenever she’s demanding something.

“Have patience, have patience;
Don’t be in such a hurry.
When you get impatient,
You only start to worry.
Remember… remember,
That God has patience too.
So, think of all the times
When others had to wait for you!”


This morning, Devyn was throwing a fit because I just wasn’t moving fast enough for her; she wanted cuddle time with Mommy and Curious George. So I started singing the above tune while I continued getting ready for the day.

Then it hit me; those words should probably be directed at me. (Sometimes it sucks when you’re trying to teach your child a lesson, and you learn it instead!) I am so anxious and so ready for Hudson’s arrival that I’ve grown increasingly impatient, which as the song states, just leads to worrying. I really am trying my hardest to be patient and enjoy these last moments, but it feels like a never-ending, inner-battle.

I’m going to be humming the above ditty a lot these next few days…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
7:22 PM delete

I need to be singing that song to myself these days!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
7:22 PM delete

Oh my gosh...where is that song from? I believe it is a song that I grew up with on one of our tapes! I'll have to ask my mom about it.

Patience is so hard right now. I don't know how to deal with it! I am trying to enjoy the little moments here and there that I have alone and also special moments with Parker... But really, I'm just pulling my hair out! I don't have any good advice. Just keep singing your song!

Did you hear that my SIL, Andi, is also having a boy? I'm so excited for a boy cousin for Parker:)

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:54 PM delete

Why, that was Herbert the snail from "Music Machine"!
We just bought our kids that cd, along with "Bullfrogs and Butterflies", "Nathaniel the Grublet", and "Antshillvania" for Christmas.
And no, I'm not trying to avoid the topic. I just don't have time to stop and write about patience! :) Hee hee.
I'm with you, friend.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
11:15 PM delete

Yep, I need to learn this song for myself as well.

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
5:00 AM delete

Hmm. I should that song to myself, too.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Judi
AUTHOR
9:56 PM delete

I will definitely need to commit this song to memory!

Reply
avatar