Nesting, Friends, and Snow

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 4 Comments A+ a-

Nesting has kicked in with full force. I find myself going a little insane at the chaos and disorganization that has taken over our basement. I find myself stopping to clean up one mess, only to be distracted by another mess on my way to the trash can, dresser, etc. Argh! I really think I’m going a little crazy by the sheer volume of things I need to accomplish before this little guy makes his appearance. I need to sit down for a moment and make a list; I know I’ll feel better once I can start checking things off one-by-one.

I did manage to get a little organizing done in Devyn’s “room”. Furniture was rearranged, clothes were packed up, toys were moved to the toy section of the basement, and I even bought an organizer from Target to start preparing for the additional “things” we need for the baby. We also bought our first package of newborn diapers for the little lad. I told Amy that I was in shock that one, Devyn ever fit into those tiny, tiny diapers and two, that we’re so close to getting ready to use them again.

On Saturday, I met my friend Sarah for a pedicure. I hadn’t realized how badly I needed the social interaction until we were sitting side-by-side, talking about life, babies, and family. It was one of the most therapeutic moments within these past two weeks. I’ve got to remind myself that I need to take care of myself in order to be a better wife and mom to Jon and Devyn. It was wonderful to just sit for an hour, having legs and feet massaged, and chatting with an old friend. I felt extremely pampered and left feeling refreshed. Thank you, Sarah, for dragging me out of the house!!

For those that have wondered and asked about our second blizzard of the holiday season, it really wasn’t as bad as the first one, but I did manage to get another snow day out of it! My husband has worked continuously and I’m amazed at his work ethic; my poor, exhausted, tired husband has literally worked the past 20 out of 21 days. Yes, this will be wonderful for his paycheck in January but I’m not sure the hours away from home and his exhaustion are worth it.

The time away has caused a severe attitude problem in Devyn, who normally has a sweet and loving spirit. The time away from Daddy has caused numerous screaming tantrums with everyone that is not “Mama” and has produced an extremely clingy little girl. The time that she finally got to spend with Daddy yesterday went a long way in bringing the sweet and loving child back out. Poor thing, it’s hard to explain to a 2-year-old that Daddy is working and will be home soon, all she knows is that Daddy is missing.

As far as Jon is concerned, the exhaustion is leading to misplaced items such as gift certificates that were given as Christmas presents, a cell phone that was dropped in the state yard and then run over, a wallet that was later recovered, and a wedding ring. Neither the gift certificates nor the wedding ring have been found yet. I’m praying that the weather will remain calm and allow Jon a few free days this upcoming weekend.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
The Artist
AUTHOR
1:35 PM delete

It's almost time for you! I'm so excited for you all and can't wait to see pics and hear stories and read new posts!

Glad you had a chance to get away even if for a few moments.

Big hugs!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
10:35 PM delete

Oh, Jen, praying for the return of the gifts and the wedding ring! As if you needed more chaos.
You know what, just breathe, and remember that if EVERYthing does not get done, it will be okay. This wintry season will pass, Hudson will be in your arms, (probably still too small for those tiny diapers - remember how even the tiniest things are too big at first?) and Devyn will be snuggled up with Daddy. It will be wonderful.
I totally understand the nesting thing, though. I know you really feel the need to get rid of clutter and chaos, so I will be praying for you that you will be realistic with your goals, and that things will be checked off in a speedy fashion!
Just be a soft place for Jon to land when he IS home, and be Devyn's mama. You are blessed.
(And let people help you, for heaven's sake!)

Reply
avatar
12:08 AM delete

I am so pleased your friend dragged you out. It is so true that you don't realise how badly you need to have a little you time for yourself until you get it. You will have to book another appointment for just before Hudson arrives.
I can't wait so see his first photos. Did you see how Amy posted a photo of a little baby suit? It was so cute! I can't remember Ben being that little (WELL HE WASN'T HE WAS 9'9" BORN).
I have saved a few outfits of the kids, they love looking at them and imagining how small they were.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
6:52 AM delete

Oooh, a much needed pampering for Mommy! I am always of the mindset that we needn't be hollow martyrs with nothing to give. We need to be 'filled up' in order to give our family our best selves - and not just the scrapings of the bottom of our barrels! They deserve the best of us. Good job taking care of you!!


As for the wedding ring and the gift cards - what a bummer. I will pray to St. Anthony that they may be found!

I am so glad to get an update of how you all are doing - I was wondering!

Bless you, friend.

Reply
avatar