Sisters and Best Friends

Friday, January 12, 2007 13 Comments A+ a-

The beginning of a wonderful relationship; Christine and I.
One of my earliest memories involving Christine was when she was just a baby, approximately 6 months old; which would have made me almost three?! I remember getting out of bed in the middle of the night, walking down the hallway to the nursery, and climbing into her crib where Mom found us the next morning. And with that move, our relationship was cemented. Chris and I have shared a bedroom since the birth of our third sister Allison. I would always, much to Christine’s chagrin, climb into her small, twin bed to cuddle, talk, or sleep. Christine always enjoyed her space, whereas I needed to be close to someone. I even shared the joy of becoming a Christian from our beds, “Christine, do you know you’re going to hell?” (Such is the honesty of a seven-year-old.) She and I are the closest of the four sisters, which I’m sure comes from sharing a room for 19 years.
Christine and I trying to stuff Allison into our doll cradle.
Playing on the top bunkbed at a cabin we used to visit.
My most vivid memory of Allison was when she was two years old and exerting her independent streak at the Phoenix Zoo. We had gone to the zoo with the whole family and my grandparents; a red wagon had been rented at the zoo to put all of our souvenirs, snacks, lunch, light jackets, cameras, etc. in it and to make it easy to haul around. Needless to say, the wagon had been heavily loaded, especially for a two year old. However, Allison HAD to be the one to pull that wagon around the whole zoo; whenever someone tried to stop and help her, she stuck out her lower lip and said, “ME do it”. Allison Lea is definitely the most strong-willed and stubborn one of the four of us; and we knew it at the young age of two. We are convinced that this strong will and stubborn attitude is what carried her through a hellish two years of fighting anorexia. With the help of God, Allie won that fight!

The Sisters - Christmas 1989

The sisters picking up Allie after her stint at an eating disorder clinic two states away!
What can I possibly say about Courtney?! She is the ONLY sister that I actually remember being born. I remember Dad coming into my room to tell us that Mom’s water broke; I remember being dropped off at my aunt’s house in the middle of the night while they went to the hospital; and I remember vividly the phone call the next morning to tell us that we had another girl in the family. I remember that Courtney went nameless for about three days as we tried name after name after name on her. One day she was called Brittney and the next she was called Courtney, until they finally decided upon that name. She is the one who went through a huge tomboy-stage, trying desperately to be the boy she thought Dad wanted. And despite her tomboy stage, has turned into the most fashionable, girly sister out of all four of us.
The four of us at my wedding in May of 2002.
All three of these women have played, and continue to be, such an integral part of my life!! I realize how truly lucky I am to be able to call them best friends and sisters. We bring out the best, and the worst, in each other. We can call them like we see them, without fear of ridicule, retribution, or resentment. We may not always enjoy hearing what the other has to say, but realize that there is usually a fair amount of truth to their words. It has been such an incredible journey from then to now, and I’m looking forward to the next 20 years as our roles continue to evolve from sisters to aunts to wives to mothers, etc. I am blessed beyond comprehension!
The Sisters - Summer of 2003

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
1:41 PM delete

I love this post. I don't have three sisters, but I have one who is six years younger. We have such a unique relationship because of the age gap. I love her in both a maternal way and a best friend type of way. I love your thoughts about all three and you seem to be a great big sister!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
2:31 PM delete

This makes me want one more baby and hope it's a girl! :)

You are all beautiful!!!!!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
4:15 PM delete

This post made me teary since I am the oldest of 4 girls too (no brothers). I miss my sisters!

I loved reading your memories of each of your sisters. You are all so beautiful!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
4:32 PM delete

I have seen enough pictures of Devyn to be able to see her in your little girl face! You and your sisters are such cuties.
I have 3 sisters as well (and 4 brothers, but we won't go there) and we are all close - even down to the youngest who is 11. And I've had 2 sisters-in-law for 10 years that are as close as blood sisters.
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post - and beautiful memories!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
4:42 PM delete

What a wonderful family. I don't have sisters nor am I close to my brothers. I do pray my children are close as this.

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
9:19 PM delete

How fun! Thanks for sharing! I loved getting to watch you all grow up!! Sweet!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:51 PM delete

What a great post, Jenn!
I think Devyn looks a lot like Christine in that 2nd picture you have posted!!
What beautiful girls, inside and out!!
Love, Dareth

Reply
avatar
Susan
AUTHOR
5:02 PM delete

Having no sisters, this post makes me wish I did!! I have two brothers who I am extremely close to...this is a beautiful tribute to the relationship that you have with each of them individually and together.

Blessings.

:-) Susan

Reply
avatar
Becky
AUTHOR
11:28 PM delete

Jenn-
What a special blog! It was with mixed emotions that I read and looked at the pictures of you girls growing up. Where have the years gone??!! =( Nothing means more to me than that you four girls are close to eachother and love eachother unconditionally, encouraging eachother in your lives and your faith in Christ. I am blessed beyond measure as your mother and so thankful for each of you. I pray that your relationship with eachother continues to be a constant encouragement for each of you. I love you all SOOO much! Love, Mom =)

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
12:06 AM delete

I have a brother who, when I was a little kid, used to leave me a copy of Hardy Boys before he goes to school. He'd tell me to read the book then, when he arrives from school later that afternoon, he'll give me a quiz.

I was about 4 years old then.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
7:49 AM delete

Awesome post! I have 3 sisters and I sure do wish we were as close as you are to your sisters. What great friendships!

Reply
avatar
1:32 PM delete

Oh, what an awesome "life in pictures" story! This is my dream for my four girls - that they be best friends well after they leave home. My sister and I talk almost daily - I can't imagine having two more in the mix!

(And by the way, I love the black dresses at the wedding. I will always remember your comment that gave me the nerve to wear black this summer!)

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
9:00 AM delete

What a sweet post. I loved all the pictures you've shared of you with your sisters.

I have 2 sisters, both live in different states, and I miss them! When we're all together, it's amazingly fun! We're all married with children now, so it's fun to have that common bond.

Reply
avatar