Devyn's Birth Story - Part IV

Friday, January 19, 2007 13 Comments A+ a-

She left and while the nurse started the drip for my pitocin, the rest of my family, my parents and sisters were discussing what to do for dinner. Jon and I convinced them to go out and grab a bite. We reasoned that it was going to be a while before anything happened, so they wouldn’t miss anything, and besides, Jon and I were kind of hoping for some alone time. They left and soon it was just the two of us; we chatted about the day, what was in store for us during the next 12 hours or so, etc.

In the midst of our conversation, a nurse rushed in, pushed some buttons on my IV and put an oxygen mask on my face. The look on my husband’s face made me want to laugh, despite the seriousness of the situation; he was absolutely white and look terrified. The nurse came along side me and rubbed my arm. She explained that the baby was not reacting well to the pitocin; that her heart rate was dropping; and Dr. Susie was on her way back to the hospital. During her explanation, I started shaking uncontrollably. I wasn’t cold, I wasn’t even frightened; I just couldn’t stop shaking. Another nurse came in, looked at my vitals, Devyn’s vitals, and decided to do an internal check. Her eyes widened and she whispered something to the nurse. She looked down at me and said, “Honey, you’re having a baby. You are dilated to 10 cm and you’re going to start pushing soon.” I had progressed from 2cm to 10cm within a span of an hour and a half. Thank goodness I had the epidural during that fast transition!!

At that point, a sense of peace and calm came over me. I’m not sure if it was the drugs or just knowing that God was in control but I just had a complete peace about the whole thing. I called my mom and told her that she needed to return to the hospital as soon as possible. Before she could panic, I just informed her that things had progressed much faster than they had anticipated and she needed to return fast if she wanted to be here for the delivery. By this time, Dr. Susie had returned and was doing another internal check of her own. I could tell that my progress had surprised her but there was also a look of concern on her face. The baby’s heart rate had plummeted and they were having a really hard time locating the heartbeat based on the location of the baby and the fact that they couldn’t attach an internal monitor because of my catheter. Mom arrived just as Dr. Susie was giving me instructions on how to push, while getting dressed in her scrubs at the same time.

The rest of the story is pretty blurry for me; my mom and Jon have filled in some of the details but I remember very little of it myself. I could feel the panic in the room; I could sense that Dr. Susie was not pleased with how things were going but it really didn’t seem to touch my bubble of peace. (Looking back, I think I may have been in shock or denial that things had progressed so fast.) I was asked if I wanted a mirror to watch Devyn being born and quite frankly, the thought of watching was just a little too distracting for me. I declined. During the next half hour, I had Jon clutching one leg and Mom clutching the other, both encouraging me during my pushing. Every so often, Dr. Susie would have me stop and a nurse would come and try to measure the baby’s heart beat.

At a pivotal moment, the nurse shook her head no at Dr. Susie, indicating the heartbeat couldn’t be found. I could feel both Jon and Mom tense up, and Dr. Susie told me that Devyn had to come out NOW. With my next push, Dr. Susie gave me an episiotomy and Devyn Paige was born within a minute after that. I didn’t know it at the time but she came out with the cord wrapped around her neck, completely white, and very quiet. I remember asking why she wasn’t crying but no one answered me. They laid her on my chest and I was just in awe that she was finally here. At one point, Devyn finally started whimpering. After some photos were taken, the nurse took Devyn to be measured, weighed, and given the appropriate shots.

After living inside my body for 293 days and after an eventful, sometimes stressful, labor and delivery, Devyn Paige had finally arrived safely into the world and in that moment, my life changed forever… I was a mother.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Paula
AUTHOR
1:19 PM delete

I think God has a way of protecting us during very scary times. He did just that with you. You hada job to do. Get Devyn out and it wasn't blurred with panic. Praise Jesus she was okay.
I do pray this delivery goes smoothly.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
1:54 PM delete

My goodness! I love this story so much and you write so well about this wonderful time. How big was Devyn when she was born? Has your doctor given you any indication of how big Hudson is? I need to plan for a big or little baby:)

Reply
avatar
Munchkin Land
AUTHOR
1:57 PM delete

I can't believe I left that part out!! She weighed in at 6 lbs, 9 ozs (just like her mama) and was 21 inches long.

I am MUCH bigger with Hudson, than I ever was with Devyn. We shall see how big this baby gets...

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
2:34 PM delete

Awwww, what a wonderful story!! Thank you so much for sharing all of the details with us! I just LOVE hearing baby stories!!!

Reply
avatar
Jason
AUTHOR
6:15 PM delete

That was a sweet story jenn, thank you for telling it.

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
8:12 PM delete

Oh,how precious. You wrote it so I felt like I was there.

Um, pictures? Pretty please?

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
8:44 PM delete

Oh, my goodness, you had me a little scared for a minute!! I think going from 2cm to 10cm in an hour and a half is some sort of record!!

Oh, and the house plans look great! Fun for you to build a home! I'll be praying for you all.

Won't be long until Hudson will be with you!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
10:31 PM delete

Wow...she WAS a munchkin! So long and thin. I can't wait to see what Hudson is like!

Reply
avatar
AndiMae
AUTHOR
10:31 AM delete

Jenn, this story is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us! I can't wait to hear Hudson's story- its coming so soon!

P.S. And thanks for the update on the house- I'll be praying that everything goes through quickly and that they will lower the price again :)

Happy Saturday!

xoxo Andi

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
2:25 PM delete

I have tears in my eyes. A new life being born never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for sharing your story.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

Jenn,
This story was so beautifully written. It made me feel like I was there all over again. I can't wait to be with you when Hudson is born. Thanks for letting us sisters be a part of such a miracle. I can't wait to meet him and see what he looks like.

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
8:04 AM delete

Wow. That's a great story. I think you've inspired me to tell of The Rock Star's birth as well. I wish I had pics of it, but I didn't have a computer then.

Thanks for sharing.

How are you doing?

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
8:50 AM delete

Oh, this post brought tears to my eyes. How very scary that Devyn came out with the cord wrapped around her neck! Praise be to God for protecting her. What a blessing she is!

Reply
avatar