Devyn's Birth Story - Part II

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 3 Comments A+ a-

Friday, November 19th
We arrived at the hospital so early; I believe it was about 6:30 in the morning. I made Jon call a couple of times before we actually got in the car and drove to the hospital. I think the nurse was a bit amused by the repeated calls but was always very quick to assure us that yes, there was room for us and I would be induced that morning. I excitedly checked in at the front desk but managed to contain myself as I was getting my IV hooked up, the baby’s heartbeat was being monitored, and listening to instructions. I really couldn’t believe that this day had arrived, it was really here. I knew in my heart that our daughter might not decide to make her entrance for another 24 hours or so, but at least we were doing something to get the ball rolling.

Once I was hooked up the appropriate machines and all the blood work had been done, I was finally given something that was supposed to start softening my cervix. The nurses instructed me that I need to wait an hour to allow the pill to work its magic but if I was so inclined, that at that time I could hop into the Jacuzzi tub to relax. I was giddy that we had gotten a labor and birthing room with a Jacuzzi tub; I was so excited and couldn’t wait to get in there. (Part of His plan to have me wait another day, I’m sure.) Sure enough, as soon as the allotted time had passed, I rang for the nurse and she started filling up my tub. By that time, the contractions were a bit more regular and were starting to hurt. They weren’t unbearable but there was a definite difference between them and the Braxton-Hicks I’d been having for weeks.

I settled myself into the tub and laid there for what seemed like hours. Mom checked in on me from time to time and Jon poked his head in occasionally to see how I was doing, but overall, it was just me, laying there with my thoughts and dealing with the contractions. Around 11:30am, my doctor showed up and wanted to check my progress. I had to leave my cocoon of water and settled back on the bed. After doing an internal check, my doctor frowned and told me that I wasn’t making as much progress as she’d like; that I was only 75% effaced and approximately one-inch dilated. I was a bit discouraged but also knew that induced labors can take longer than normal. She ordered another pill to continue softening my cervix. Dr. Susie then explained to Jon and I that she would be back around 5:00 to check on me again and at that time would probably start the pitocin and would probably break my waters. I grimaced as I remember all of the horrid stories I’d heard about pitocin but also knew that holding my daughter was more important to me than those stories.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
2:43 PM delete

Jenn, I'm so excited to be reading this! I feel like it is happening to me. I can't wait for the next chapter:) This will be so great for Devyn to read when she is older. I loved reading my mom's account of my birth. It was actually written on notebook paper a few days after I was born. When I was trying to write Parker's story a few days after he was born, I never finished because I got so emotional (and upset because I can't remember so much)! Thank you so much for sharing this--it has made my day! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
4:55 PM delete

I love reading this story. It really takes me back! (Makes me a little sad to think I won't be doing it again for 2 years or so.) But, I look forward to the rest of the story and hearing Hudson's story soon enough.
Miss you guys. Tell Devyn that baby Alivia sends hugs and kisses.
Hope to talk to you soon.
Love, Dareth

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
6:15 PM delete

waiting for more... ;-)

Reply
avatar