Devyn's Birth Story - Part I

Friday, January 05, 2007 8 Comments A+ a-

I've been asked on a number of occasions for Devyn's birth story. I have never written this down anywhere, even in her baby book, and I decided that it was important I get it on record. Here goes, this will be lengthy!

Thursday, November 18th
I had anxiously been waiting for this day since the moment I saw two lines appear on the home pregnancy test. I rubbed my belly anxiously as my mom, Jon, and I walked into the hospital and headed for the labor and delivery section of the hospital. I couldn’t believe that I was going to be induced tonight, after this long wait. When we checked in at the front desk, the nurse asked for my name and then gave a slight frown as she perused her list. She glanced up from her chart and asked if I would mind waiting a moment. I said no problem, even though I was screaming inside; I just knew something was wrong. I shared a look with Jon and saw that he had the same premonition as well. As if sensing my anxiety, Mom stepped forwarded and grabbed my hand, rubbing it and trying to keep me calm.

A few moments later, another nurse appeared and asked if I had received the message she’d left for me. I shook my head no, that I hadn’t received such a message. She gave an apologetic smile and said the very words I’d been dreading. “I’m sorry, we’re absolutely full. There’s no way we can do an induction tonight.” My heart sank like a stone, all my high hopes and wishes flew out the window. I wanted to scream, I was already 9 days overdue! It wasn’t as if I was electing to be induced, this wasn’t a voluntary idea, and yet, I was still being turned away. I looked at Jon with tears in my eyes and barely remember the questions that Jon and Mom were asking the nurse. I didn’t hear them say we should call before coming back in the morning; I didn’t hear her repeated apologies; and I was too upset to comprehend that a different plan might be a better plan.

That night I struggled with the idea that my delivery was being put off another day; I felt destined to be pregnant forever. After my nightly ritual of a hot, soothing bath, I remember crawling into bed, wrapping my arms around my belly, and dreaming of baby toes, pink blankets, and hoping that tomorrow would indeed be the day.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
5:39 PM delete

Oh, I think I'm going to enjoy this story! Thanks for sharing. I'll be back to read more.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
7:38 PM delete

This so fun, Jenn! I am so looking forward to the next chapter!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
8:36 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
8:38 PM delete

Oh I feel sad for you....although she is here now and there is no reason to be sad. Can't wait to hear more.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
6:31 AM delete

Ooooh, I want to be there with you in the hospital corridor rubbing your other hand!!!
I am so glad you are sharing this with us - and in such detail! What a good idea! I just may have to do this as well at some point.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
3:23 PM delete

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Reply
avatar
7:34 PM delete

I can't wait to hear the next installment, and then to hear all about new baby Hudson.

Reply
avatar
11:28 AM delete

Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to reading the next section.

Reply
avatar