Devyn Birth Story - Part III

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5 Comments A+ a-

I settled into the Jacuzzi tub again around 1:00pm and was once again left alone with my thoughts. Jon had fallen asleep in the chair while watching a western movie and Mom had taken off for a quick bite to eat. Around the same time, all three sisters showed up and crowded into the bathroom, doing their best not to wake Jon. (I know this may seem weird to those that don’t have sisters, but they really are my best friends [through thick and thin] and I wasn’t at all bothered to have them in there with me.) For the next two hours, we chatted about various subjects between contractions. When I was ready to get out of the tub, my sisters left the bathroom to give me some privacy. As I dried myself from the tub, I felt a slight trickle down my leg; I took the white towel and mopped it up, only to find that the towel came away with a twinge of pink. I grinned to myself as I realized that my water had just broken, naturally, the way I had wanted all along. I hurriedly threw my hospital gown back on and called for the nurse. By the that time, Jon had woken and my mom had returned from lunch. My room was full but I didn’t care one bit as the nurse wiped my thigh with that special ph-paper and sure enough, confirmed that my water had just broken. I threw a victorious look to Jon and we realized that this was at least, some progress.

Within a half-hour the contractions had gotten progressively worse and they were starting to become unbearable. I made the nurse call for the anestheologist and was ready for my epidural. I never had any intention of trying a drug-free delivery; I just wasn’t the he-man (or she-woman) kind of person. If I can deliver without pain, I’m all for it! When the good doctor arrived with my medicine, I no longer cared about my phobia of needles. (You are talking to the woman who still cries at shots and would rather have a hand to hold than be concerned about her image!) I gripped Jon’s shoulders during a contraction and didn’t even feel the needle enter my body. Almost instantly, the pain stopped and suddenly, all was right the world once again.

The next two hours seemed to fly by as various friends and family stopped in to say hi and wish me luck. While the epidural gave me NO control over bodily functions and took my ability to control movement, I was still so happy that I didn’t have to feel the contractions. There were many times when Jon and a nurse had to position my body just right to get the vitals they needed. Embarrassing? Yes. Worth it? Of course.

My doctor showed up again around 5:30pm and did another internal check, only to be met with another frown. At this point I was 100% effaced but only 2cm dilated. I groaned inwardly, I couldn’t believe that no progress was being made! Dr. Susie did a rundown about what to expect over the next few hours. She was going to start the pitocin, go home and feed her children (I love that about her, her children always come first), and come back. If I still hadn’t progressed far enough long with the pitocin, she was going to call me “failure to progress” and start prepping me for a c-section. “Regardless,” she said, “We’re in for a long night. Hang in there; it will all be worth it in the end.”

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
1:18 PM delete

Thank you! I'm so glad you posted this...guess I'm a little eager:)

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:51 PM delete

Oooo, we're getting closer to the moment the world was blessed with Devyn! :)
My doctor (and our children's pediatrician) is Dr. Susie as well! Her last name is Dillon, and when Corban was 2, he called her "Dokker Dill"!

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
9:21 AM delete

Oh, I want to know. I want the night to go fast for you.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
1:46 PM delete

Ooooh, I am dying to hear the rest! If waiting with baited breath were possible, yup, that'd be me!!

And hello, sisterly love! THAT is why I want to add to our family - I want my little girl to have a couple sisters to share her life with!!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
8:51 AM delete

I'm really enjoying learning more about Devyn's birth. Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar