1000 Gifts - Week 6

Monday, January 08, 2007 5 Comments A+ a-



133. The squeal, running feet, and the sweet voice of Devyn crying “Mama” when I walk in the door after work.
134. Watching the clock pass 2:00, 3:00, 4:00am as Devyn continues to sleep peacefully in her own bed.
135. Having my kind, considerate husband remind me to stop by his job (after working a 12-hour, overnight shift) before work so he can refill my tires!
136. The sight of newborn diapers; comparing them to the size of Devyn’s diapers.
137. Knowing God is always providing for us; for example, Jon’s overtime from last month will help cover recent, needed car repairs.
138. Having Jon bring any baby-related boxes back from storage, rummaging through baby items with both nostalgia and hope for the newest addition.
139. Being dragged out for a pedicure and one-on-one time with a friend.
140. Lunch and baby-shopping with another friend.
141. Eagerly waiting for the arrival of the bassinet; constantly tracking the shipping number given to us from the store.
142. Feeling the cold emanate from Jon and Devyn’s faces, as they kiss me after coming in from sledding in the backyard.
143. Devyn gingerly touching my lip and saying “owie” and wanting one on her lip too.
144. Devyn’s little voice saying “I want hug” as I get ready to leave, apparently the kiss just wasn’t enough for her.
145. Holding Devyn and her exclamation of “baby” as Hudson kicks her.
146. My husband waking, without complaint, when I call to tell him the car broke down, and his calming, reassuring presence that everything will be ok.
147. A surprise gift in the mail, knowing that family and friends are thinking of us.
148. Joining in the excitement of a friend’s first pregnancy, exclaiming over the newest development, the baby bump, and overall joy of a first pregnancy.
149. The sound of my little girl’s voice saying “ma-ma”, it never gets old!
150. Sitting with my husband on a couch, not saying a word, just enjoying the fact that the other is there.
151. Reading through our bible study book, A Covenant Marriage, together; stopping to discuss a point or ask a question.
152. The anticipation of Hudson’s arrival. Will he be early? Or late, like his sister? Will he have dark hair? Or light hair with curls, like his sister?
153. Jon and I sitting down to write down our priorities for the new year, coming up with measurable goals to attain those priorities; both striving to be the best for each other and our family.
154. The generosity of family that allowed me to get both a facial and massage last Saturday; such pampering was wonderful.
155. Text messages telling me family and friends have arrived at their destinations safely.
156. My nightly ritual of a good book, a steaming bath, jasmine-scented oil, and about a half-hour to myself.
157. Unexpected massages from Jon, when he reaches over and just starts rubbing my neck or back… divine!
158. The knowledge that no matter how badly I mess up, I’m still a woman after God’s own heart.
159. The subtle movements, kicks, and rolls from Hudson; his space is growing crowded, yet he still such an active little guy.
160. Hand-me-downs from generous family and friends.
161. Clear skies, knowing that it means Jon will only have to work 8 hours.
162. Knowing that despite the long hours and exhaustion Jon faces during snow storms; he is in his element and loves what he does.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
7:38 PM delete

I love your 1000 gifts. It reminds me that I too have so much to be grateful of.

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
7:57 PM delete

I love these. You are getting close to meeting Hudson!! How fun! I can't wait to read the post you write after he is born!!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
10:17 PM delete

I love reading how God is using the gift lists to help people see the joy in their circumstances.
Like Jon being so busy - and you can see that he is doing what he loves!
That's just beautiful, friend.

Reply
avatar
11:27 AM delete

We all have a lot to be thankful for, don't we!?!? I love this list.

How exactly does it work?

Oh, I have added you to my blogroll, I hope that is alright?!?!?

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
2:45 PM delete

I love these lists because you are able to share so much about what you value. And your 141...I'm doing the same thing with a new double stroller. How silly is that?

Reply
avatar