Sad News...

Monday, December 18, 2006 5 Comments A+ a-

On Friday, my great-grandmother passed away at the age of 95 years old. Unfortunately, I did not know her very well at all; so I hurt mostly for my mom and grandpa. She left behind four children, eight grandchildren, numerous great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild (Devyn). I do feel very fortunate that she got to meet Devyn this past summer, something that I'll be sure Devyn is aware of in the future.

My grandpa, uncles, aunts, and cousins are flying in today and tomorrow, and the funeral is set for Thursday. Please say a prayer as everyone travels, as they deal with Grandma's death, and as things get crazy, both in preparation for Christmas and the funeral.
I'm sad that I didn't get to know her better and I wish that I had gotten to know a little more about her life. It would have been amazing to hear how she raised four children, what she remembered from her life experiences, how it felt to watch some major milestones in American history, and the list goes on. It seems the older I get, the more I want to reach out to grandparents and family. Their stories are amazing and I know there are so many lessons I can learn from them. It may be too late to get to know this great-grandmother but I can make a more conscientious effort to reach out to the other members of my family.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
orgjunkie
AUTHOR
11:16 AM delete

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll definitely be praying for you. Laura

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
2:01 PM delete

So sorry for your family's loss.

Y'all will be in our prayers.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
2:31 PM delete

Jenn,

I had similar feelings after my grandpa passed away a few years ago. Now I'm trying to make more effort with those I still have. I'm sorry for your family's loss. I hope things go as smoothly as possible and your family is in my prayers... Amy

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
3:33 PM delete

Oh, I'm sorry to hear of the death of your great-grandmother. I will offer up a prayer for the safe travels of your family.

Take care.

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
7:31 AM delete

Praying for the travellers, praying for her children, praying for you.
Look at her fruit - that is the best way you can get to know her. You are part of that fruit!
(((hugs)))

Reply
avatar