O Holy Night

Monday, December 11, 2006 6 Comments A+ a-

I mentioned before that I absolutely love being pregnant during this time of year and I find that I’m continually reflecting on the miracle of Jesus’ birth. I’m in awe that Mary experienced so many of the same things I’m currently feeling through my pregnancy right now. Can you imagine knowing that the fetal movements are coming from the Savior of the world, her own Savior, and the magnitude of that?!

I wonder if his kicks brought a smile to her face; I wonder if she lovingly pushed an elbow or knee back inside; I wonder if she gasped as a foot found its way under her rib cage. I wonder if she worried about the birthing process or had doubts about her abilities as a mother; I wonder if she daydreamed about holding him in her arms or thought about what he would look like. I wonder if she complained about backaches or swollen ankles; I wonder if she grumbled about the weight gain or painful cramps.

And upon His birth, did she marvel at his tiny toes? Did she feel that overflowing, overwhelming sense of love that only a mother can feel? Did she caress his tiny features, whispering words of love, praise, and prayer over his safe arrival? Did she cry at the sound of his first whimper? Did she cuddle him close, vowing to do her best as a new mom? Did she worry about his future, knowing the sacrifice that was going to be made for our sins? What an incredible gift, giving birth to the Son of God!! O Holy Night, indeed!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
3:34 PM delete

What a beautiful sentiment. I had never thought about Mary treasuring her pregnancy in this way, thankyou for sharing.
Congratulations on gift no 132.

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
8:48 PM delete

I'm most sure she treasured every precious moment knowing that she was carrying the Messiah.

It's awesome when you put it all in to that perspective.

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
9:08 PM delete

Yes, yes, yes!!! Love it!

Oh, and thank you for adding me to your blogroll!! You are so sweet! I just have to come by more often!

Praying for you and baby!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:44 PM delete

I think she most certainly felt all of those things. She was a woman, was she not? :)
I like to think of Joseph, resting his hand on her belly and laughing out loud when he felt a kick, the way our husbands do! Even though the child was not his, he loved Mary, and this was a part of her.
Beautiful thoughts.

Reply
avatar
Andi
AUTHOR
1:47 PM delete

Love your thoughts on this, Jenn! Thank you so much for sharing them with us :)

Reply
avatar
7:56 AM delete

My son was born in December and it totally changed my perspective on Mary as a mother. Such a beautiful thought.

Reply
avatar