Homeowners? Us?!

Friday, December 15, 2006 11 Comments A+ a-

When Jon, Devyn, and I moved into my parents’ basement last June, we had some very specific goals in mind. The first was to get our credit report completely cleaned up; we had made some very poor choices during the first years of our marriage and the consequences were a messy credit history and repeated calls from creditors. The second goal was to become completely debt-free by paying off vehicles, loans, etc. And last, but certainly not least, was to qualify for a home loan and buy our first house. We wanted to accomplish all of these things in the hope that I’ll be able to start working part-time within the next year. It was a long list of goals, some that seemed unattainable at times, but we were determined to see them through.

While it’s not an ideal situation to be living with your parents at our age, we realized that some drastic measures had to be taken while dealing with our financial decisions. My parents were gracious enough to open their home to us while we worked on meeting our goals. I was afraid that living with my parents would strain relationships between us and them but have been pleasantly surprised to find that the transition has been relatively easy. (I say relatively easy because in my family there are strong personalities, strong opinions, and passionate tempers. The hardest transition was living with two sisters again but we’ve come a long way.) We’re very thankful that my parents have opened their home to us and have allowed us to fix these issues.

I am extremely happy to report that two of those goals have recently been met; we have completely cleared up our credit reports AND we met with a mortgage lender last night to get pre-qualified for a home loan. It was an amazing feeling to sit in that office with our stack of receipts and bank statements, showing each debt had been paid off. As we worked down our list of debts and creditors, it was liberating to write paid beside each one. Once that had been done, the lender sat down with us and went over our information from pay stubs, W2s, etc. We walked out of that meeting being told what we qualify for in a house payment; what programs will work for us regarding first-home-buyer programs; and having a very good idea of the price range we want. What a difference six months makes!!

We’re planning to start looking at houses this weekend with our realtor and are leaning towards building a brand-new home; there are some really good incentives out there. I find myself in a much different frame of mind now that I know what we can afford and feeling like we’ve learned some valuable lessons. Before our meeting last night, I was very anxious and stressed out about the whole situation. But this morning I woke up at 4:30am and couldn’t fall back asleep, just thinking about what the future holds for us. I found myself extremely excited at the prospects!

We should have our final loan paid off by the end of January and I’m hoping to be part-time by the end of the summer; after my 12-week maternity leave this spring. Slowly and surely, we’re seeing our goals being met and are so thankful to God for this time of maturity and growth. We have come a long way from the early years of our marriage and young, foolish decisions.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Joy
AUTHOR
6:37 PM delete

Wow! Thanks for sharing how God is working in your life and blessing you as you make wise choices!

Reply
avatar
7:53 AM delete

Congratulations! That is so awesome. Living within you means (and taking into account how much you want to work in the future) is the best stress reducer ever. My husband and I did something similar early in our marriage. No regrets. Happy house hunting!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
8:14 AM delete

Wow! This is really admirable and something to be proud of. It is so exciting, isn't it? I'm excited for you guys and I'm sure your efforts will be blessed!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
10:53 AM delete

Oh Jenn! That's wonderful! I think it's so great that you guys were able to pay off your debt, clean up your credit and get pre-qual'd in 6 months! It takes some people YEARS to do that. God is so good!

I can't wait to see what house you decide on. That's awesome!

Reply
avatar
org junkie
AUTHOR
12:21 PM delete

What a great accomplishment...that is just awesome. How very exciting for you. Congratulations!

Laura

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:19 PM delete

I'm so proud of you both! I know it's been a long and hard journey, but you've worked hard and now you're seeing the fruits of your labor. Congrats!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
1:10 AM delete

Wow! I am so proud of you guys!! What great stewards you are being. What a great legacy for your children!
So excited to see you this week.
Love, Dareth

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
9:21 PM delete

Good! For! You!

What a blessing that you had somewhere to go - even though it has had its' trying moments.

Yours is a story to pass on to others who are having similar struggles!

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
10:33 PM delete

It takes alot of courage to live with parents and share your story.

Building a house is so much fun!

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
10:13 AM delete

Woo-hoo!! That is great news! We faced similar struggles and decisions a couple years ago and have made a lot of strides in paying off our debt and improving our credit rating. Now we tell every young couple we can how to avoid bad credit coming back to bite them later in life when they are really going to care!!

Congratulations on your success!!

Blessings as you prepare for Christmas and look at houses - how exciting!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
3:37 PM delete

Jenn, kudos to you and your husband! I admire you for the hard work the two of you have done to get things squared away.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I can't wait to see the house that you end up in!

Reply
avatar