The Cat's Away

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6 Comments A+ a-

“When the cat’s away, the mice will play.”

Jon has left us for a week-long training in a town about two hours from where we live. He is required by his job to attend this week-long training every single year; both to learn new skills and sharpen the skills he already has. My question is this: why is it that Devyn senses his departure as an excuse to act up and act out?! Why, I ask?!

Last night, Miss Devyn Paige decided to wake up at 2:30am. I thought she might be hungry (as she didn’t eat much dinner) and I grabbed a granola bar for her, which I might add she ate pretty fast. I laid her back down with me, only to have her toss and turn in bed for another thirty minutes. Within that thirty-minute time frame, Hudson woke up with the hiccups. Now when my son (in-utero) gets the hiccups, he gets decidedly upset and will kick anything and everything in an effort to stop them. So, I had one child tossing and turning in bed next to me and the other child kicking inside me, both doing their best to keep me awake.

Around 3:45am, I gave up and hauled all of us upstairs. I situated Devyn and I on the couch; turned on the Disney channel; calmed my upset, hiccupping baby as best I could; and proceeded to cat-nap through The Littlest Einsteins. At 4:30am, the TV went off and I finally was able to settle everyone back to sleep.

When I woke up to get ready for work at 6:00 this morning, I gave thanks that normally this is a two-parent family and that my husband will often step in and handle moments like those. And as far as next year’s training goes, I got a brief, slight glimpse of what it’s going to be like when both children are here in flesh and blood during Daddy’s week-long absence. Oh Lord, give me strength!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Elise
AUTHOR
8:54 PM delete

Oh, how yucky. Like you needed to lose more sleep!
My mama always reminds me that someday, I will look back with such fondness on those moments. I remind her that she's full of it.
No, really, you probably will remember fondly Devyn's little warm body next to you, keeping company while hubby's away. And next year, you'll have a son to add to the mix - what fun! What chaotic, loud, joyful fun!
Can you get a nap anytime soon? I'll be praying for that!

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
9:53 PM delete

I just love that your life with a toddler is so much like mine! Good idea about turning on The Little Einsteins...there are just times (like the middle of the night) that require TV intervention:)

Your little Hudson sounds like a little ball of fire--he sure knows what he wants! I can't wait to hear what he's like out in the real world!

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
4:41 PM delete

Oh, me!! I know what you mean. It is hard being a "single" parent. Erik went with the youth on a youth retreat a few weeks ago, and I was ready to pull my hair out when he came home!! But, you will make it! And, baby #2 is often layed back and easy - at least mine was! You can do it!!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
7:01 PM delete

Amen to two-parent households! :) I have so much respect for single parents, just by experiencing the few times I've had to care for Snuggle Bug alone while Oronzo is away on business.

I love hearing about Hudson. I can't wait until he arrives! :)

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
3:55 PM delete

Hang in there, friend! I know that is a frustrating moment. Thankfully it doesn't happen all the time, right? ;o)

Hope your week has been much smoother since this episode!

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
7:46 PM delete

Oh yes I've had nights like those! It seems like the occasional absense of the hubby helps us to see how very much we need to work together to parent - in whatever way works best for you both. When my 2nd was born, my hubby was on deployment - boy that was hard!! When our 3rd was born, I had expectations that the baby would be my only responsiblity at night and he would take care of the other two. But we soon figured out that that was not a plan that worked for us. He does not do well the next day when he has to wake often at night. It was more helpful to me for him to get a full night's sleep and be able to help during the day. And since he was in college at the time with a flexible schedule, he woke up with the boys, feed them, clothed them, played with them, while the baby & I slept in. I loved that!

Reply
avatar