Weekend to Remember

Monday, November 06, 2006 11 Comments A+ a-

Jon and I walked into the hotel room on Friday night and felt such an overwhelming sense of freedom that we fell onto the bed laughing at our good fortune. About two months ago, we had signed up for Family Life’s “A Weekend to Remember” and we couldn’t believe that we were actually there!! We had attended this conference as an engaged couple and at that time, couldn’t participate in all of the sessions on marriage. With adding a second child to the family and realizing that we hadn’t spent a weekend apart from Devyn since she was born, we thought this would be a perfect time to reconnect as husband and wife, while learning and re-learning some valuable tools for our marriage and family. Needless to say, we’ve anxiously been waiting for this weekend!!

On Friday afternoon, we packed our bags, said our good-byes to Devyn, and headed out of town. As I said earlier, the feeling of freedom really overtook us and we felt like newlyweds again with no responsibilities or obligations. It was wonderful!! The sessions during the conference were great and we really enjoyed them; despite the fact that a lot of the subjects have been covered during our pre-marriage marital counseling, bible studies, etc. It’s always feels good to get a refresher course on how God designed marriage, His plan for husband and wife, and all the ways that Satan tries to break-up a Christian marriage. Good stuff to hear…

On Saturday night, the conference releases all the couples to what they call a “date night” where couples are encouraged to spend the evening alone and reviving the romance we originally found in dating. Jon made reservations in this beautiful lodge for dinner, where the food was delicious and the view was spectacular. Since the lodge was built on the side of a mountain, the view from every table in the room overlooked the small mountain town below. With the dark night and twinkling lights below, it was simply gorgeous! We had an incredible time reminiscing over our last nine years together, our hopes for our marriage and our life, our dreams for our children, and promising to get away more often.

It really was a “Weekend to Remember” and even though the conference itself was great; the best part of the whole weekend was just getting to spend time alone; that the greatest blessing from our weekend away.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
4:51 PM delete

It sounds so wonderful...and this picture is so pretty, too! I hope Devyn had some special time away from the two of you, as well:) What a blessing for all!

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
8:07 PM delete

How wonderful!! I think Erik and I could use a weekend like that after our house renovation is over!! Getting away is so sweet!! Glad you all were able to have a little baby-moon before the next little munchkin arrives!!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
9:41 PM delete

sounds dreamy! We thought our afternoon away was a treat, I just can't wait till we can do a whole weekend away! I could just feel the joy as you were describing the weekend. Isn't it great to be married to your best friend? I think a weekend away 3 or 4 times a year would be perfect. Have a great week, relishing in the memories.
Always, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
9:48 PM delete

Sounds like such a good weekend. My husband and I will have to do the same someday before we have a second child.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
11:21 PM delete

Wow, its sounds like you had a wonderful time.
It is so easy to get caught up in life, children and responsibilities that you forget about your partner, I am going to book a date night. Thankyou for the reminder!

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
8:06 AM delete

That is such an awesome weekend to take to time just for each other. That is awesome. We have to get together again soon!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
11:13 AM delete

That's awesome, Jenn! I'm so glad you guys had a chance to get away for the weekend. Shan & I did too since this will be our last time before baby Zoe arrives.

It's a great feeling, isn't it!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
12:39 PM delete

Sounds wonderful! I have never been to one of those conferences, but I've heard great things. Hubby and I are going on vacation (w/o the boy) at the end of this month for some re-connecting and re-charging. This parenthood stuff really changes your relationship, so it's good to rekindle every once in a while.

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
2:28 PM delete

Sounds like you had a great, great time.

Weekend to remember, huh? I think my wife and I will try that one of these days.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
4:13 PM delete

wow! I am so jealous now! And I thought your daughter looked like you but I think she looks like Daddy now. I bet Hudson will look like you!

How are you feeling? I am feeling feet in the ribs constantly! It's nice but not when you are trying to sleep! :)

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
4:42 PM delete

Hubby and I were just talking about how we've practically forgotten what time alone *together* was like. We're hoping to get away soon - but probably not until the baby is weaned.

I'm reminding myself - "thou shalt not covet."

I want a weekend away and dinner at a beautiful lodge!

Reply
avatar