Sassy Little Girl

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11 Comments A+ a-

Devyn still doesn’t turn 2 years old for a few more days but within the past week we’ve hit the “two” stage in full force. Some of the changes include the word “no” as the most used in her vocabulary; a flair for defying Mom and Dad’s wishes; and a surprisingly willful spirit. Our recent conversations look something like this:

“Devyn, it’s time to help me clean up your toys.”

“No.”

“Devyn, you cannot say no to Mommy. Come help me clean up your toys.”

“No.”

“Young lady, you’re heading for a time-out.”

To which one of three things happens, either she’ll cry, scream, and throw a tantrum while I’m dragging her over to the time-out corner; she’ll give a deep sigh and start helping me clean up the toys; or she’ll walk herself over to the time-out corner and sit down. *Sigh* I am in SO much trouble when she hits the teens years.

Of course, she’s also learned how to throw a wrench into the disciplining process. Yesterday afternoon Jon was asking her to throw away some of her trash and she was answering with the usual “no”. Jon was starting to get exasperated.

“Devyn, you have until the count of three to throw this away.”

“No.”

“One…”

And then in the tiniest, sweetest voice you’ve ever heard, she responds with, “Two…”

Jon and I both erupted into laughter because it was the cutest, funniest thing we’ve ever heard. Of course, all hope for any discipline after that has gone completely out the window.

Life with a sassy, two-year-old is going to be an adventure!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
erin
AUTHOR
12:06 PM delete

Two is really not so bad. Yes, they can be sassy, but as you said they ares soooo cute!! It is a very fun and cute age. They are old enough to speak their little minds and at times that can be hysterical!! :-)

She sounds quite wonderful to me. And, I know she will be a great big sis!!

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
1:39 PM delete

Looks like you've made it! ;-) We have a little longer before Caleb hits the two's, but I'm not looking forward to the "sassing." It'll be an adventure, for sure.

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
3:14 PM delete

Your Devyn sounds very much like a two year old but such a kick in the pants! I hate it when I ruin a good discipline situation with cracking up ...and it happens way too often. See, this is what I mean about not being an adult yet:) Okay, so how do you get Devyn to stay in time out? I know she is older than Parker, but we're starting this phase and I have no idea how to keep him in one place; he already runs much faster than his mama! I was also wondering how the sleep problems are coming along? I like how you're just one step ahead of me in all of this stuff so I can ask the questions! Take care...

Amy

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
3:55 PM delete

{{arms open wide to hug}} Welcome. We've been expecting you. It'll be allright.

Reply
avatar
Munchkin Land
AUTHOR
5:04 PM delete

Amy, as far as getting Devyn to stay in her time-out corner, we really haven't done anything special. She just knows that she's not allowed to get up unless she stops throwing a tantrum or does what we have asked her to do. She hasn't figured out that she can get up any time she wants.

As for our sleeping issues go, nothing has been solved yet. We're going to give it until after Thanksgiving and if she's still crawling into our bed in the middle of the night, we're exchanging the twin bed for the crib... again. Argh! I'll be sure to write more on that later.

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
9:50 PM delete

So cute!

Jenn

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
7:53 AM delete

That is such a cute story. I am not looking forward to that stage in parenting. They are just so cute. I don't know how you keep from laughing at them.

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
6:49 PM delete

Oh, I can so relate to this! Snuggle Bug turns two towards the end of next month and already he's showing some of the same flair for defying us.

Here are some of his favorite phrases lately:

"No Mommy/Daddy"

"Don't that!" (meaning, don't do that)

"I want!"

"Mine, trains!" which lead to a discussion about the fact that, although the trains are indeed his, he needs to share them with Mommy when he's asked her to play with him.

Of course, he defuses our frustration in an instant with sweet phrases as well.

After explaining to him the importance of sharing his trains, he turned to me and said, "I share, Mommy" and handed me one of his trains with a serious look on his face. I just beamed with pride!

We're living life with a sassy, almost-two-year-old and we wouldn't have it any other way! :)

Reply
avatar
Andi
AUTHOR
9:48 PM delete

I can totally relate! The last couple weeks Audrey has started exerting her will more and more, throwing temper tantrums and whining, etc. etc. For the first time I feel like it has gotten to the point where we really need to start being serious about disciplining her. Its good to know that I am not alone- and to get ideas from you! Thanks for sharing! :)

Reply
avatar
Proverbs31
AUTHOR
10:43 PM delete

Ah!! Been there, done that.. You just can't help but giggle at the first little-teeny "two?"

The rest aren't nearly so funny. ;)

Welcome to full-force toddlerhood! Ain't it great? =)

Reply
avatar
2:43 PM delete

Actually, having a teenager is not a lot unlike having a two-year-old. The only difference is arguing over what I call "shades of NO," and the humor factor now includes plays on words and "pretty please" faces. Devyn is precious! You're doing great!

Reply
avatar