Pregnancy Update

Friday, November 03, 2006 9 Comments A+ a-

It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted an update regarding this pregnancy and it’s probably time that I do so. I am going to be 26 weeks along on Sunday and I’ll try to post another belly picture sometime next week.

I went in for my 24-week appointment last week where I was weighed, measured, given the glucose test, and received a flu shot; all in all, not a really fun appointment. First the doctor had me come in an hour early to take the sugary-drink that they use in their glucose test. I hate this drink, really I do. My insides start getting jumpy and the baby starts moving like crazy; I am NOT a big fan. The good news is that I do not have gestational diabetes; however I am anemic so I’m popping iron supplements once a day now. I’m not worried about the anemia, I had it when I was pregnant with Devyn but I just don’t remember it occurring so early in the pregnancy.

I then went in for the actual appointment and they first took my weight. I cannot believe that I’ve gained 20 pounds already!!! It actually makes me a little sad; I gained a total of 30 pounds with Devyn and 20 of them were gained during the last eight weeks. I’m a little scared to see the end result with this pregnancy. =) I’m determined to take up jogging once this little one arrives, I have a feeling I’m going to have to work a bit harder to lose the pregnancy weight!

The rest of the appointment went pretty well; Hudson’s heartbeat is strong and his movements are very consistent. The only downside to the appointment is that despite gaining 20 pounds, Hudson is measuring about two weeks small. I’m not that worried about it; Devyn consistently measured two weeks small throughout the whole pregnancy and then didn’t come out until 10 days after her due date. If he is still measuring small at the next appointment my doctor wants to perform another ultrasound; see, there is a silver lining!! At the end of the appointment both Devyn and I got our flu shots for the season and Devyn handled her shot a lot better than I did; she didn’t flinch, cry, scream, or anything, whereas I had to hold tightly to Jon’s hand.

Overall, I am really feeling good. My energy is starting to return, I haven’t been sick in almost three weeks, and I’m treasuring every one of Hudson’s movements. He is far more active than Devyn was as a baby and I love this part of pregnancy. I love knowing that I have life growing inside me again; I love watching his movements from the outside and seeing the bumps and mounds roll across my belly; and I just love this special time between me and my son. I’m bonding with Hudson in ways only a mother can and I’m getting so anxious to meet this little man.

PS That is not my pregnant belly, just a beautiful photo I found.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
V,
AUTHOR
3:07 PM delete

I popped over from Amanda's blog.

I have a Hudson too. He is 6 1/2 already! Check out my blog for a toothless photo of him!

Reply
avatar
Jenn
AUTHOR
8:12 PM delete

You almost make me want to be pregnant again.......almost.

Jenn

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
9:15 PM delete

I'm really not looking forward to the glucose test! It is so gross and makes me feel loopy! When you say Hudson is measuring two weeks behind, does that mean your fundal height? Just curious because my fundal height with Parker was always four cm smaller than average and my former doctor didn't even flinch. That would be so fun if you got another glimpse of him before he comes! Oh, and I hope you're not too sad about the weight gain. I bet you just gained a little more with this one because you were able to take some anti-nausea meds....you think? 20 lbs seems really normal to me. Okay, this is turning into email material:) better go...Amy

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
10:50 PM delete

I had to get a flu shot since I'm around the players sometimes. One of my biggest fears (needles) was not the most pleasant thing to expose to my coworkers. I was so worked up and anxious I gasped as soon as they touched me and everyone started laughing when the nurse says "that was just the antispetic cloth" and I notice the needle was still on the table. Oh my... so anyway, I totally relate with needing to hold someone's hand!

Reply
avatar
8:55 AM delete

Oh, I love this stage of pregnancy. I'm so glad you're feeling good!

I finally fixed your new site on my blogroll. Sheesh, I'm slow!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
6:30 PM delete

Yay for no sickness! Yippee! That's awesome!

My doc didn't recommend a flu shot - hmmmm. . . .. . .

Hang in there - And I enjoy the baby movements too. Although now, at 33 weeks I'm starting to get uncomfortable!

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
7:35 PM delete

I agree with you that there is nothing on earth like feeling a baby move inside of you!!! It is amazing, and when I am out of my childbearing years, I will miss that tremendously!!

My tummy always measures smaller than it should, too. But, at least you may get another US out of it!! Fun for you!

Reply
avatar
Judi
AUTHOR
9:13 PM delete

Sounds like the pregnancy is going well! I have a little boy who was born at 26 weeks he is a miracle baby. He has completely stolen my heart.

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
3:01 PM delete

Glad to read that everything's going well. Have a great week.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar