Pregnancy, Hormones, and Christmas

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 13 Comments A+ a-

I cannot believe how fast this pregnancy is flying! I’m currently between my 29th and 30th week of pregnancy and I just don’t remember my pregnancy with Devyn progressing this fast. Physically, I’m feeling pretty darn good. I had my 28-week check-up last week and I have now gained 23 pounds from the start. I cringe a little as I say that because I’m a little nervous as to how much more weight I’m going to gain these last ten weeks or so. But I know that in the end, its completely, totally, and utterly worth it. Amy and I were talking last week about weight gain during pregnancy and I told her that I’m just preparing myself to work a little harder this time around to lose the pregnancy weight but I’m sure breastfeeding will go a long way in helping that along.

At my 28-week check-up, I was still measuring about 2-3 weeks behind (and yes, this is fundal height), so my doctor (I just love her) sent me for another ultrasound to make sure that things are going okay. Honestly, I wasn’t that worried because I always measured small with Devyn and I just figured that to be the case with this one too. Imagine my surprise when the ultrasound technician said that my measurements show Hudson is measuring at 29 weeks and 4 days; approximately two days larger than he should be. Regardless, it was wonderful being able to see him again and we were also treated to a pleasant surprise when the technician pulled out the 3D ultrasound machine. We got some wonderful shots of Hudson Jay (short for Jonathan, but too long to say) and I think Jon and I both fell in love with our little guy all over again. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Emotionally I feel like I’m on a roller coaster; there’s so many ups and downs that I’m not really sure which way is up any more. I have moments of extreme highs, especially with the Christmas season here, and I’m so confident that I’ll be able to adjust to being a mommy of two that nothing can faze me. In those moments, I’m excited to meet Hudson, hold him in my arms, and love on this new life. However, on the other end of the spectrum, I have moments of complete doubt, wondering how I’ll ever love this child as much as I love Devyn. There are times I feel sad at the thought that Devyn won’t get my full attention anymore; that it won’t be just the two of us on errands or special outings. And then the moments of guilt set in as I feel I’m not giving Hudson the proper excitement and joy at his coming birth. It’s a vicious cycle, one I’d love to break but I’m sure that won’t happen until his arrival and everything just “clicks” into place. Any reassurances from veteran moms would be greatly appreciated!!

I wanted to end with this, I absolutely LOVE being pregnant during the Christmas season. Despite the fact that this is one of the most joyous times of year, there’s just something special about wandering from store to store with this belly sitting out in front of you. Strangers bestow special smiles on you; doors are held open; I’ve been ushered to the front of the line a couple of times now; and there’s just a sense of warmth coming from fellow shoppers. I do LOVE it! However, with that said, if one more person tells me I look like I’m about to pop; or is shocked when I say that I’m not due until February; or kindly tells me his friend/neighbor/relative is due next week and I’m bigger than she is; I may lose it… Christmas spirit or not!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

13 comments

Write comments
Joy
AUTHOR
12:12 PM delete

It is totally normal to feel anxious about Hudson's arrival. I've felt that way with each one and know most other moms do too. Believe me both you and Devyn will be loving on him so much that you won't be able to imagine life without him.

It is an adjustment to go from 1 to 2 kids (I hear it's the hardest but I thought 2 to 3 was harder) but you'll get it and you'll be so thankful for the sibling love you'll see with your two.

Love the ultrasound pictures. I never had a 3D one. How awesome!

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
12:24 PM delete

I remember when my wife delivered my 3-year old. She labored close to 18 hours.

For my 1-year old, she labored for ... well, 30 minutes.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
andi
AUTHOR
2:24 PM delete

Thank you for sharing those sweet ultrasound pictures of Hudson! How fun to be able to get a glimpse of him again before he's here :)

And I know exactly how you feel with all the mixed feelings surrounding his birth- I feel totally the same way about having our second. Everyone says that your love will multiply in ways you never imagined possible, but at times its hard to believe that I could love a new baby as much as I love Audrey; then of course I immediately feel so guilty for thinking that, and as you said, the cycle continues...

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
3:33 PM delete

I have so been there! Both with the crazy emotional rollercoaster -I was devastated that my daughter wouldn't have her very own 1st birthday without a new baby around to make it all about him, so we had the party 4 a week before her birthday and only a few days before I delivered T!! It is true, it all just clicks into place and you'll do fine!! It is amazing how much your heart grows!! Just wait till they start playing together, you'll think your heart will burst out of your chest!!

And I have been there with the Christmas pregnancies - twice - and I loved it as well!!

Reply
avatar
The Artist
AUTHOR
8:44 PM delete

It's all good, girl. Part of those lovely hormones, ya know?

The pics are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Look forward to the next update!

Reply
avatar
proud parents
AUTHOR
7:45 AM delete

I am right there with you with the emotional rollercoaster. Unfortunately, I cannot give you any advice since I am just pregnant with my first, but I am sure you will be a fantastic mom of two. My fears these days are how I am going to handle one baby when it has been just my husband and I for so long. This pregnancy is flying by for me too. I can't wait to meet her in approx. 11 weeks. Thanks for sharing your ultrasound pictures. It gives me a glimpse of what Ava probably looks like right now.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
10:22 AM delete

Beautiful pictures! I'm sure you are all getting excited meet your little guy. You have so much to look forward to look forward to.

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
11:30 AM delete

A handsome son. How wonderful!
You'll be just fine. Life with a toddler requires adjustment for pretty much ANYthing new; rearranging furniture, new sheets, snow...a new baby will just be plain old fun!
I know you've heard a kajillion times that you will love the new one just as much, and it's true. Although it is different. At least it was for me. The easiest way to say it is that my love was divided - but both had equal shares. That first baby gets 100% of your attention and love, the next baby shares it with the first, but no one is the worse for wear. God stretches us, our hearts. It will be amazing!
Praying for you.

Reply
avatar
marsie
AUTHOR
7:07 PM delete

Ahhh, my beautiful, awesome, and wonderfully articulate friend:) I loved the pics of Hudson, the 3-D one is really cool!! I'm envious of the pregancy stories, BUT you also know I'm not in any sort of rush to join it!! I like the whole "Aunt" role I have:) I can't believe you're already that far along!! I know you'll be fine, you are are always the one telling me how God gives you the strength that you never thought you would have.....it'll be the same when Hudson gets here:) Love ya!!

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
8:58 PM delete

Too cute! I love your US pics! He is a doll!!

I remember having the same feelings during the last months of my second pregnancy. Do enjoy the last few months alone with Devyn. Special times!! But, it just gets better with #2 around!! Siblings are super fun!!

And, I agree it is super fun to be pregnant at Christmas!!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
8:45 AM delete

cool pictures!! I think he is going to be VERY cute!

Reply
avatar
Overwhelmed!
AUTHOR
1:44 PM delete

What a great post! I had to laugh when you mentioned your surprise at how fast this pregnancy is flying (much faster than your first). Could that be because now you're busy chasing after a 2 year old? :)

What awesome ultrasound pictures of Hudson. Hooray!

You know, as we look into adopting a second child, I find myself having the same concerns that you express. Will I love the 2nd child as much as my 1st? How will I be able to give Snuggle Bug my full attention from time to time once a second child arrives? I, too, will miss our outtings...just the two of us.

Still, everyone tells me that there's more than enough love in your heart for multiple children and once the next child arrives, all your concerns melt away and it all just works.

Keep me posted on this when Hudson arrives, will you?

I love that you're getting such warm treatment from strangers this holiday season! :)

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
5:21 PM delete

Okay, so your third paragraph....you totally read my mind. Totally. And the hormones in this house have caused some action in the last week or so ..or 7 months! I'm so embarassed that I am capable of such crazy things! I've just been itching to get online and check on you! I am going to do that meme very soon...fun!

Reply
avatar