Happy Birthday Munchkin!

Sunday, November 19, 2006 8 Comments A+ a-

My firstborn turns 2 years old today. I was talking to my aunt this past week about what a bittersweet feeling it is to see Devyn celebrate another year older. While I’m truly enjoying each moment with her, I can’t help but remember the baby days with fondness and a sense of longing.

Yes, I miss the nights of nursing, the special bond between Devyn and myself; where time stood still as we stared into eachother’s eyes, memorizing the features of each other’s faces. I miss cuddling her tiny body on my chest, letting her rhythmic breathing sink into my soul. I miss her tiny hand clutching my index finger. I miss being the center of her universe, where I was her only source of nourishment and entertainment, all rolled into one.

There have been very few moments in Devyn’s life that I have not enjoyed, loved, relished, or treasured being her mother. She has been one of the greatest gifts God has ever given me. I am completely humbled that God would not only give me one of His children to raise, but that He has faith that I was the perfect mom specifically for Devyn. She has taught me patience in ways I have never thought possible. I have learned the true meaning of unconditional love; I know that my heart will forever be hers. I’m finding joy in the smallest things; a new word, a discovered skill, a wet kiss, a stroke of a cheek, or a beautiful smile. The list goes on and on… Becoming Devyn’s mommy has been one of the most fulfilling experiences in my life!

So, Happy Birthday Munchkin! Happy Birthday to the child who has touched my heart in more ways than one, who has changed my life for the better, and who will always be my baby girl!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Amy
AUTHOR
12:49 PM delete

Happy Birthday to Devyn! What a big day...congrats to all! I know what you mean about all of these bittersweet feelings. Are they just part of being a mama and do they every go away?! Have you ever posted Devyn's birth story? I love hearing those!

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
7:42 PM delete

Happy Birthday, Devyn!!

Aren't you excited that it won't be long until you will get to hold a newborn again?? My little guys are 2 years apart, and I think it was a wonderful spacing. And, we have done it once again - 2 years will separate my 2nd and 3rd!!

It may be hard to believe that you could love another child as much as you love Devyn, but you will!!!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
9:55 PM delete

Oh, Jenn! That was beautifully written. I can't believe the feelings coming over me as we approach baby girl's birthday. She took her first step on Friday, and I gasped as I wondered where my little baby had gone. Your writings help me to put it into words. Thanks for sharing. PS. Can't wait to see your toddler when I get there. Let's start talking about dates soon!!
Love, Dareth

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
9:56 PM delete

PS Happy birthday, Devyn!!
Love, Aunt Dareth

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
6:27 AM delete

Happy Birthday Devyn and mommy! :)

Reply
avatar
Andi
AUTHOR
10:42 AM delete

Happy Birthday, Devyn! And Happy Giving Birth Day, Jenn! This is a beautiful post- your little girl is so blessed to have such an awesome mama :) And I can definitely relate with all those feelings!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:35 PM delete

Jenn,
This post was so beautifully written. Tears were rolling down my face just now. It's been a journey for me to watch you fill a new role in your life and go from just my sister to a mom. I'm so glad I get to be a part of it.
I know I'm only Devyn's aunt but watching her grow up makes me proud too!
It's amazing how much joy she's brought our whole family.
Happy birthday to both of you! ;)

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
12:26 PM delete

Wow, thanks for putting that into words. Children are an amazing treasure! Happy Birthday to Devyn!

Reply
avatar