Chaos Reigns

Monday, November 13, 2006 9 Comments A+ a-

There are so many things that I want to write about and expound on but I find that my time is rapidly shrinking. For instance I want to write about the following:

  • Devyn’s upcoming 2nd birthday; when did she turn into a little girl?!
  • Thanksgiving plans with the whole family; my parents are expecting between 32 and 40 people.
  • My 1000 Gifts list, I have so much for which to be thankful!
  • The fact that I entered the 3rd trimester on Sunday.
  • Some recent visits with wonderful friends.
  • Our plans for the future.
  • My struggles with controlling my anger; recent developments in a familial relationship.
But I am so busy right now, and I feel like I’m desperately trying to keep my head above water. I find myself trying to maintain some sense of balance at home. I don’t want to be that mother that is so focused on doing “stuff” that I forget to cherish the time with family and friends. What am I so stressed out about?

  • Preparing for Devyn’s 2nd birthday party; again, when did she grow up?!
  • Helping Mom plan menus and help cook for 32+ people for the Thanksgiving meal.
  • Planning a baby shower for a friend; coming up in 2 weeks!
  • Preparing to send out 75+ Christmas cards, complete with letters and photos.
  • Getting ready to be pre-approved for a home loan and signing the appropriate contract with the builder of the house we like AND can afford.
  • Preparing for the Christmas season; drawing names, buying gifts, Christmas carols, baking, all while trying to teach Devyn the REAL meaning of Christmas. Any suggestions on how to do that with a two-year-old?

(For those that don’t know, I do work outside the home; please no judgments. Those that know me, know that my heart’s desire is to be home with my children, and hopefully will be soon.)

  • Mastering additional, new duties at work.
  • Administering 4 Flu Shot clinics for 1400+ employees.
  • Finishing the completion of insurance forms for 1400+ employees.
  • Planning, marketing, and finishing details for a Blood Drive at work.
  • Planning, marketing, and finishing details for one-on-one consultations with our retirement representatives and 1400+ employees.

*Sigh* Life just got a little too crazy right now, which always seems to be the case around the holidays. From my heart to yours, I hope that everyone is able to maintain a sense of peace and balance during this busy time of year.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Wendy
AUTHOR
2:57 PM delete

When I read this it made me sad that you felt like you had to be a disclaimer of no judgements. It is sad that women judge other so harshly, isn't it. I think that every family is different and the needs at different times will vary. We all have to do what is best for our family and our situation. Not everyone's situation will look the same. I could go on and on, but if you read my "principles and methods" post awhile a couple months ago you probably know how I feel about all of this.

Anyway, sounds like you are very busy, but taking time to count your blessings.

Reply
avatar
erin
AUTHOR
8:19 PM delete

Bless your heart!! How busy you are!! Thankfully most of the things you listed are good things, fun things, but they are still stressful, I know.

The holidays are just crazy all the way around!!

Take care of yourself and your little munchkins (in and outside of the womb :-)!!

Reply
avatar
it's me, Dana
AUTHOR
9:36 PM delete

odd how wendy's first sentence came right out of my own mind too. I'm sad if you really come across that often--maybe it's because I don't have children but I don't think it's a bad thing to have a career and have a family, in fact, more power to you for making it work!

anyway, I know what you're talking about feeling like there's no time to even post (notice my last one was on Halloween? yikes!) hang in there! AND let me know what address you'll be at around the holiday season, sending Christmas cards is one of my favorite parts of the season. I'm such a nerd. YAY!

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
6:21 AM delete

Please eek in a few moments for us to actually see each other when we come out for Christmas.
And as for Christmas, we don't do santa. For us, that's a huge way to re-direct the attention, glory, & love of the season on its true meaning. We also do a birthday cake. After all, it is His birth we are truly celebrating.
I'll keep your peace of mind & happy heart in my prayers, hun!

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
7:50 AM delete

I feel your pain. Things are just too busy and they are just going to get busier. I am glad that we got to see you this past weekend before it got too crazy for you and me over the holidays. Hope things get a little less crazy for you!

Love ya!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
11:18 AM delete

So, so, so true!
I have a LIST of things I have to get done and my holiday baking business is crazy right now. BUT, I have really tried to spend today asking the Lord to help me focus on TODAY. It's so hard to do, so hard. Thank you my friend!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
12:28 PM delete

Not only do I have no judgements to pass on you, but I am even more impressed. I don't know how you do it all - well, I guess that's what you're saying - it's tough, huh?
Hang in there - it's always a good thing to look at the good in life. Keep listing your gifts! The "insignificant" and the obvious.
And for Christmas, maybe you could try an advent book like The Glorious Coming, or some other book that is read nightly up until Christmas - something that keeps the spirit of Christmas fresh in her little mind all the way up to the big day. And don't worry. She's very young - if you don't do anything different than you normally do, she will not be scarred for life. She probably won't even remember!
You've got lots of time to figure out how you want to celebrate with your family in the future. These are the years for you to try to figure it out so it can become a tradition later! We're just NOW implementing our desires for a focused Christmas.
*Hugs!*

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
4:30 PM delete

I'm so glad that you wrote about work a little bit because I've always wondered what kind of things you do. I'm impressed that you can hold it all together and be an amazing mom! Very cool. I can really relate about the craziness right now--especially when you add pregnancy to the mix. Hang in there! love, Amy

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:25 AM delete

I will be praying for you! I know that the holidays get crazy for everybody, but I remember it when I was pregnant (41 weeks) ...even crazier! Take it slow, do what you can and know that the Lord will sustain you! I know your heart, and I know that you will err on the side of family and relationship, and that pleases the Lord. Enjoy your last holiday together as a family of 3!! Can't wait to see you soon! PS, you are so beautiful pregnant!!! (You should do it many more times ;-)
Love, Dareth

Reply
avatar