1000 Gifts - Week 1

Friday, November 10, 2006 4 Comments A+ a-


This has started circling the blogosphere within the past week or so, originating from the site of Christian Women Online. I don't normally participate in these weekly memes but I just can't help but think what a wonderful idea it is to stop during this crazy time of year and reflect on the number of gifts God has given me! I was hoping to get all 1000 gifts listed before January 1st, but then I did the calculations and I realized I'd have to do 125 every single week between now and then! I'm not trying to punish myself; I want to reflect on these gifts as God brings them to mind without worrying whether I have 125 for the week or not. So my lists will be posted as I go, without rhyme or reason.

1. That God's graces are new every morning.
2. The sound of little feet pitter-pattering across a wood floor.
3. Every time my husband leans over and whispers "page 111" in my ear.
4. An updated post from a beloved blogging friend.
5. The smell of my mother's homemade stew.
6. The innocence of children's laughter.
7. A passage from the bible that speaks directly to my heart.
8. The pressure on my back as my husband turns over in bed.
9. Watching the rolls and bumps move across my belly, proof that life is growing inside.
10. The feeling of my daughter's tiny arms around my neck.
11. A worship song that moves me to tears.
12. Lunch with my sister, a cherished weekly ritual.
13. Watching my daughter jump into the water at the pool without fear!
14. Time to write out my thoughts or post on my blog.
15. The smell of my daughter's freshly washed hair.
16. The sight of the mountains and the setting sun.
17. Arranging a coffee or lunch date with a much-missed friend.
18. The sight of the mountains after a fresh blanket of snow.
19. A friend's good news of a coming baby or new engagement.
20. Watching a friend persevere through a hard time and come out victorious in the end.
21. Feeling replenished and peaceful after a great worship service.
22. Knowing that my mom is constantly praying over my children, my husband, and me.
23. A date with my dad.
24. A shared-look with my husband, knowing instantly we're thinking the same thing.
25. The feeling of my daughter, limp with sleep, on my chest.
26. Watching my daughter raise her arms during worship in church.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
6:44 AM delete

Loved your list! Looking at everyone's blessings is such a great reminder of how amazing God is to us!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:42 AM delete

Jenn,

This is such a good list. You brought tears to my eyes. We have so much to be thankful for and it is so easy to forget. Thanks for the great prespective.

Love you,
Mandy

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
1:34 PM delete

So many of these I can relate to!! Great idea!

Reply
avatar
Elise
AUTHOR
10:59 AM delete

Wonderful list. It's a good thing, isn't it? Helps your soul hone in on what you're seeing, what you're REALLY seeing. Deeper than the surface.
More, more!

Reply
avatar