Toddlerhood and Beyond

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 7 Comments A+ a-

You know you've reached toddlerhood when your almost-2-year-old clearly expresses a want and initiates her independence, all in the same moment.

Devyn and I walked into Albertson's yesterday afternoon and she headed straight for the grocery carts that has the plastic cars attached. Without any prompting or help from me, she climbed right in the front seat and turned to me as if to say, "What are you waiting for?!" It was the first time that Devyn has so clearly expressed a want to me and I felt my eyes tearing up at the thought that it seems like overnight she's become her own person.

I spent the next 20 minutes trying to manuever that silly grocery cart for the first time and I found it utterly cumbersome; I can't tell you how many times I had to smile and apologize to another patron. But watching her "steer" the cart and honk the "horn" made it entirely worth it to me.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
2:09 PM delete

Emma loves those things too! Her strong will has had me barreling through the grocery store with them for months! I almost sigh in relief when there are none to be found. But you're right, it's fun watching them enjoy themselves so much, and definitely cuts down on the whining.
Sarah

Reply
avatar
RANDI
AUTHOR
8:20 AM delete

I think that those carts handle as well as a small train! I always fear I will run over people with it!

Watching our little ones grow is hard but it is a huge blessing to see them make good decisions and desire a life with God!

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
6:15 PM delete

haha, love this--convienent you had a camera with you! ;-)

Reply
avatar
Munchkin Land
AUTHOR
7:32 AM delete

Dana - Actually, I didn't. =) I had to swipe that photo from the internet somewhere...

Reply
avatar
Mike
AUTHOR
12:06 PM delete

My 3-year old loves those grocery carts ala cars, too. I think that’s the reason why he loves going to the grocery with my wife. That and the magazine section where he could get the latest Superman coloring book.

I love staying in the car.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Reply
avatar
Brony
AUTHOR
9:41 PM delete

LOL!!!
Isn't it great to watch them reach certain milestones.

Reply
avatar
Joy
AUTHOR
6:00 PM delete

Oh yes I have run down old ladies with those things... I'm serious! They are really hard to steer! But I am so thankful for the two seats in the car, with TWO steering wheels (very important), for the boys, plus the basket seat for Moriah. I would never survive through the store without it (though I usually try to go to the store with just one kid and not all three but sometimes you need a jug of milk and you just have to get it done)

Reply
avatar