Sink or Swim

Sunday, October 22, 2006 5 Comments A+ a-

On Saturday Devyn started her first swimming lessons with about five other one- and two-year-olds and their parents. Now I’m not sure which was harder; getting into a swimsuit at 24 weeks pregnant and feeling like a beached whale or getting into a circle with five other adults to sing nursery rhymes and feeling just a little bit ridiculous.Flat as a Pancake (sung to the tune of I’m a Little Teapot)
I’m a little pancake on my tummy,
yum, yum, yummy.
I’m a little pancake, short and flat,
Flip me over onto my back.
The first five minutes were a little hard, as Devyn was shivering miserably from the cold water and didn’t want to do anything but hold on to my neck. Any time I tried to pry her arms away from me, she’d flailed her arms and grabbed anything in sight, usually my hair. (Thank goodness it was that and not the top of my suit!) Eventually between the fun songs and playing with some floating toys, she’s calmed down and began to enjoy herself.Despite parents being made to feel a little silly singing “The Wheels on the Bus…” in water, it was obvious that we were all there for one thing, and one thing only, to expose our children to new things in life and/or to help them overcome any fears of the water. At one point during the first lesson, the instructor had us put the babies on the side of the pool and on the count of 1…2…3, “help” them jump into the water. Hearing Devyn’s cries of “agin, agin” and seeing the wide smile on her face, made the whole experience worth it, singing the “Hokey Pokey” and all.

I am so sorry for the quality of these photos. It was very dark in the pool and Jon did his absolute best to capture a few good shots.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
10:22 AM delete

Looks like you guys had fun! I want to take Caleb to a mommy & me swim class next spring or summer. I'm sure Devyn will love class the next time (but they should do something about that cold water!).

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
10:23 AM delete

Super fun! I bet Devyn had a blast! Hope to see you guys soon!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

Looks like fun! I think that's a good way to get them used to the water.

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
11:08 AM delete

ya, wasn't it fun singing all the silly songs! Emma had a great time too, she was a bit more timid with the jumping off the side, she wanted me to hold under her arms the whole time, but was giddy about it nonetheless. I'm sure glad you have time to blog about it, because I don't have much time for anything anymore with two. I will sing it to my grave, stay at home mom's have the HARDEST job in the world! It's so worth it though, and we shall prevail, amen!
Love, Sarah

Reply
avatar
Amy
AUTHOR
2:03 PM delete

Oh my goodness, this sounds so much like our experience with swimming lessons! Parker just had his fourth lesson and everytime, it just gets better. Joel is usually the one to take him in the water but last time, Joel was at a retreat and I had to get in--belly and all:) I felt like everyone was looking...however, they probably didn't care what I looked like at all because their kids were in the water! And then, the teacher informed me that it was dunk day...wonderful! How did Mr. Hudson enjoy the water? Evem though they are a bit dark, the pictures are great!

~amy

Reply
avatar